Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    And, just for fun, Brad Schoenfeld's scientific study on fasted cardio. May want to read through this, @longhorns34112.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

Ahhhh yes this is great, thanks. I've tried fasted cardio but it just doesn't work for me. The most I can do is 3 hours after eating, and even that is pushing it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited January 2019
    sardelsa wrote: »
    And, just for fun, Brad Schoenfeld's scientific study on fasted cardio. May want to read through this, @longhorns34112.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

Ahhhh yes this is great, thanks. I've tried fasted cardio but it just doesn't work for me. The most I can do is 3 hours after eating, and even that is pushing it!

I'm funny. I work out fasted every morning and never have an issue. But on my afternoon workouts, if I don't have some food relatively close to the time I work out, I bonk hard.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Her last name is Buttermore.

Talk about a Freudian slip
  • quiksylver296
    I've bounced between 191.2/191.4 all week. Being a female sucks sometimes. Hopefully I'll whoosh again after I cycle.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Almost 3 months into this lean bulk. I’m up to about 210 but still have abs in the morning before the bloat monster ravages me. :wink:

Still a bit dubious about bulking this slow but I’ve broken a couple of sticky plateaus so I’m sticking with it. Average intake on workout days is about 3800 and a little less on rest days. Zero cardio.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Almost 3 months into this lean bulk. I’m up to about 210 but still have abs in the morning before the bloat monster ravages me. :wink:

Still a bit dubious about bulking this slow but I’ve broken a couple of sticky plateaus so I’m sticking with it. Average intake on workout days is about 3800 and a little less on rest days. Zero cardio.

Do you know how that 3800 compares to your TDEE? What kind of scale change/week are you targeting?
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I've bounced between 191.2/191.4 all week. Being a female sucks sometimes. Hopefully I'll whoosh again after I cycle.

Yep, same issue.
  • steveko89

Yep, same issue.

I can only blame my stagnant weight on the calories I keep stuffing into my facehole. Despite averaging right about maintainence since 1/1 the scale has jumped up from 175 to 179 as of this morning. Highly encouraging...
  • jseams1234
    steveko89 wrote: »

Do you know how that 3800 compares to your TDEE? What kind of scale change/week are you targeting?

Seems to be about 2-300 above. I’m targeting about .5 a week. Some weeks no movement and some it jumps. It certainly hasn’t been steady like a normal bulk for me. I’ve actually averaged about .7 a week but that’s mostly because of the holiday excess most of us had to deal with... I put on a few extra over Christmas.
  • quiksylver296

Yep, same issue.

I can only blame my stagnant weight on the calories I keep stuffing into my facehole. Despite averaging right about maintainence since 1/1 the scale has jumped up from 175 to 179 as of this morning. Highly encouraging...

Yeah. I've been weighing and logging. It's not the facehole issue. :laugh:
  • steveko89

Yep, same issue.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm weighing and logging, just too much.
  • steveko89

Seems to be about 2-300 above. I’m targeting about .5 a week. Some weeks no movement and some it jumps. It certainly hasn’t been steady like a normal bulk for me. I’ve actually averaged about .7 a week but that’s mostly because of the holiday excess most of us had to deal with... I put on a few extra over Christmas.

Holy smokes, how tall are you? I know you're a quite a bit bigger than I am but your TDEE is +1000.
  • jseams1234

Holy smokes, how tall are you? I know you're a quite a bit bigger than I am but your TDEE is +1000.

I’m 6’1. Yeah, it doesn’t really make sense to me either. I don’t weigh everything when I bulk but I certainly do when I cut. I don’t think it’s a logging issue. I am a huge fidgeter and my wife says I’m a furnace... or maybe there is truth regarding that tapeworm I’ve been accused of carrying my entire life. It’s annoying to me primarily because my requirements far exceed my actual appetite. I use a lot of liquid calories.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member

Yep, same issue.

Same here. I'm trying to remind myself to look at the trend over a few weeks and not a few days.
  • quiksylver296

Official weigh-in this morning, 189.6. Five pounds in four weeks. Do-able.

But as my coach was so kind to point out, I'll be right at TOM for the competition and will have to plan for water weight. Ugh.
  • jseams1234

But as my coach was so kind to point out, I'll be right at TOM for the competition and will have to plan for water weight. Ugh.

Do you get a rebound from raising carbs? I always regain about 5 pounds the first week as I restore glycogen.
  • quiksylver296
    edited January 2019

Do you get a rebound from raising carbs? I always regain about 5 pounds the first week as I restore glycogen.

I'm gonna find out... :#

I cycle carbs anyway. Currently six days at 180 and one at 280 per week. Hopefully that keeps the rebound from being too crazy.