How do I eat healthily whilst away on business

I started my diet this week. I've done well at home with home made meals but all next week I am in a hotel with work. I can stick to fruit and yoghurt at breakfast like I eat at home but are there any ideas for easy ways to make quick and simple choices off restaurant menus that will keep the calories low.

Steak and green salad maybe?

Replies

• prattkendrick21
    prattkendrick21 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes there are a ton of quick and easy protein pack snacks.

My go to is Tuna, deli meats, frozen veggies, frozen meat, or go to a grocery store near your hotel buy some chicken, green beans, etc, and log it in. Biggest thing is making sure you hit your protein intake and your calorie intake
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I traveled a lot for work (80%+) back in 2012-2014. What ultimately worked best for me was that I would go find a Target or Walmart and get pre-mixed protein shakes and portable fruit (usually apples) and stock up for lunches for the week, hotel breakfast in the morning, and would pretty much stick to Chipotle or ChickFilA for dinner. I find it decently easy to stick to lower calorie/healthier options. I know it's not ideal but it's what I was able to find that worked. It got to the point towards the end of being in that role I was picking hotels based on their proximity to Chipotles. Definitely a YMMV type of thing.

For Chipotle, I avoid the tortilla, salad dressing, beans, and sour cream. Will almost always go double meat if on the company's dime. I've also been known to say "I'm going to get a quick run in before dinner so I can have guac tonight"

For Chick Fil A, I get the grilled club (sandwich alone) and a side of grilled nuggets, water to drink, in lieu of the side options with a combo.

If flying airport options are usually the worst. The Starbucks egg white/turkey bacon sandwich won't kill you on calories, just don't blow it on a calorie bomb of a coffee. A smoothie chain called Freshens has options to add protein powders and what not. Can be high in calories but at least it's from fruit. Beyond those, I'll try and find one of the bookstores for the worst-case protein bar/shakes.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I used to travel every week with work. It’s hard to eat healthy on the road, especially if you don’t have access to a kitchen.

If you have a kitchen or even a microwave in your room you can cook. If you have control over where you stay, pick a hotel with a kitchen. Lots of chains have them.

If you have an option to cook or reheat food do that as often as you can. You can easily heat healthier ready meals and frozen or canned veggies if you have a microwave. If you’re buying ready meals read the labels and avoid high salt and high fat - there are some good ones out there.

If you have to eat out, try to influence the choice of restaurant. I always vote for sushi if I have to eat out.

If you have no control where you’re eating, speak to the waiter. Ask for all dressings on the side and no oil or butter on veggies. Swap fries for veggies or salad. If you eat meat choose lean proteins. Don’t go for creamy or fried dishes.

Carry snacks so you don’t get caught out somewhere with no good options.

Most of all make the best choice you can give the circumstances and don’t beat yourself up if what you ate wasn’t perfect. Each step towards your goal is a good one.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Many restaurants have “heart healthy” items or vegetarian items which generally seem to be lower calorie choices. Lunch menus sometimes offer smaller servings sizes. Some restaurants will also let you order the kids portions of you explain you are trying to limit portion sizes. Your waiter can often make great recommendations if you ask. A friend on weight watchers was having lunch with me and we asked for tips on what to order. The waitress steered us toward a delicious grilled chicken and volunteered to ask the chef to steam vegetables instead of side item on the menu.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Skip the bread, avoid anything fried and always ask for sauce on the side.
  • hilarioustim
    hilarioustim Posts: 2 Member
    I do a fair amount of overnight travel, and struggled with hotel breakfasts for years, especially when you're with a client or colleague and want to share the meal but not ruin your diet. Then a colleague shared a great tip: (1) don't even open the menu and (2) just ask your server for a couple of eggs and couple of pieces of toast. Possibly there's a "healthy" menu choice that would be a few fewer calories, but as a practical matter I find I do better if I just don't look.
  • jbarr9011
    jbarr9011 Posts: 26 Member
    Lots of good advice being given out here. If you cannot get out to buy the food you want then cut the portions way back. You would be surprised at what you can eat and fit your macros if you limit the portion size.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Try to eat hat you know. If you eat bread a lot then you should have a good idea about how much calories are in what amount of bread. That's my breakfast and lunch on business trips, because I know it. For dinner I might have sushi without mayonnaise or a steak with potatoes and veggies, especially ordered as not cooked in fat as most restaurants add a lot of that.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    You could also see if a companion would want to split an entree- and just ask for two plates. This helps if you can both decide on an item.
    PS do not drink your calories
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Most hotel rooms have a microwave and a fridge. If you can get to a store, you can purchase what you need to stay on track. You could do salad and sandwich, Calorie labeled frozen dinners. Or even the Hormel compleats that don't need refrigeration are a good option once in a while.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Most hotel rooms have a microwave and a fridge. If you can get to a store, you can purchase what you need to stay on track. You could do salad and sandwich, Calorie labeled frozen dinners. Or even the Hormel compleats that don't need refrigeration are a good option once in a while.

Depends where you live, I travel for work all across Europe and I've NEVER seen a hotel room with a microwave. A mini bar sometimes, depending on the room standard.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member

Depends where you live, I travel for work all across Europe and I've NEVER seen a hotel room with a microwave. A mini bar sometimes, depending on the room standard.

True. It's just not a thing in Europe. Or pretty much everywhere outside the US. A roombar usually has a few very expensive drinks, crisps and nuts.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Traveling for business can be very different depending on what you're doing.

Are you making sales calls and entertaining clients? Going to a client/other location for a week/month, etc? Attending a conference or training?

Do you have a per diem or can you spend freely?

Changing hotels every night or 2 or staying in the same place?

One tip is you can always make sure to have a fridge in room by requesting one for your diabetic medication. Might be a little white lie, but the hotel will make sure you have a fridge which can really help.

But if you answer some of those questions I can help with more pertinent suggestions.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member

[/quote]

NEVER seen a hotel room with a microwave. A mini bar sometimes, depending on the room standard.[/quote]

Any of the "extended suites" and the ilk will have a microwave. It is becoming more common. But a higher end hotel won't likely have a microwave, but at the super high end if you want a Vitamix they'll make sure you have it!