Keto vegan

natypata1311
natypata1311 Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys! I'm vegan and thinking of starting a ketogenic diet, but my sister thinks I'm crazy and I shouldn't, or at least add some seafood.
What do you think?
Any tips or ideas
Thanks

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    What are your goals? What do you hope ketosis would help you achieve?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I think it would leave you with very few food options.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Vegan keto is possible, but it's very restrictive. The only people I know who have had real long term success sticking to it are people who are doing it for health reasons, not just weight control. You'd be eliminating a lot of delicious and nutrient-rich plant-based foods, so I don't know how sustainable or enjoyable it would be.

Here is a internet resource that may be helpful: https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-vegan-ketogenic-diet/
  • plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    It is doable, it has been reported as the healthiest keto diet but having tried it myself it is very restrictive. Vegan keto made simple on Facebook is a good resource
  • janejellyroll
    plaffo786 wrote: »
    It is doable, it has been reported as the healthiest keto diet but having tried it myself it is very restrictive. Vegan keto made simple on Facebook is a good resource

Who reported it as such?
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Holy heck... Might as well call it the celery and green pepper diet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

You'd also be eating tofu, tempeh, seitan, mushrooms, leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, coconut milk, vegan cheeses, nuts and seeds, avocado, berries, sauerkraut, kimchi, sea vegetables, and plant oils (avocado, coconut, etc). It's not the most varied diet, but there is probably more than what you might initially think.

But not very much of many of those, right? With tofu, the lowest carb levels I'm seeing are about 3 g. carbs per 100 cals (and most seem higher than that), with about 10 g of protein, and seitan gives you more protein (about 16 g) but also more carbs (7 g) per 100 cal serving, so if you tried to get even 70 g of protein from tofu and seitan, you would be at 20 to 30 g of carbs already. That's not going to leave much room for any foods that aren't zero carbs (straight oil). Maybe a kale smoothie with one or two berries and a teaspoon of avocado for flavor.

My point is that the path to getting enough energy and protein on a vegan keto diet is more restrictive than your list suggests, because you can't eat a substantial variety of those foods each day in amounts that most people would consider to be normal servings even if they were omnivores having them as sides to a plate with a piece of meat and a mound of starch.

• janejellyroll
    edited January 2019

You'd also be eating tofu, tempeh, seitan, mushrooms, leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, coconut milk, vegan cheeses, nuts and seeds, avocado, berries, sauerkraut, kimchi, sea vegetables, and plant oils (avocado, coconut, etc). It's not the most varied diet, but there is probably more than what you might initially think.

But not very much of many of those, right? With tofu, the lowest carb levels I'm seeing are about 3 g. carbs per 100 cals (and most seem higher than that), with about 10 g of protein, and seitan gives you more protein (about 16 g) but also more carbs (7 g) per 100 cal serving, so if you tried to get even 70 g of protein from tofu and seitan, you would be at 20 to 30 g of carbs already. That's not going to leave much room for any foods that aren't zero carbs (straight oil). Maybe a kale smoothie with one or two berries and a teaspoon of avocado for flavor.

My point is that the path to getting enough energy and protein on a vegan keto diet is more restrictive than your list suggests, because you can't eat a substantial variety of those foods each day in amounts that most people would consider to be normal servings even if they were omnivores having them as sides to a plate with a piece of meat and a mound of starch.

I've never worked out a specific keto vegan meal plan, but I don't doubt your numbers and I don't argue that it isn't a restrictive plan that wouldn't be a good fit for most people. I had a friend who was doing it for a while (to see if it could help her manage health issues) and she did share with me that she ate seitan just about every day. I don't know the quantity that she was eating. She did eat a lot of coconut and pumpkin seeds.

It's not a diet that I would personally recommend to anyone who was just trying to lose weight. I think most people doing it are ethical vegans who are either using it to manage another health condition or are trying it to see if it helps with a health condition.

My point is just that you wouldn't be limited to celery and green bell pepper, as the post I was responding to suggests.

Keto overall has an issue with not being able to eat certain foods in serving sizes that others might consider "normal," and vegan keto is just a higher level of difficulty within that context.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

It's not a diet that I would personally recommend to anyone who was just trying to lose weight. I think most people doing it are ethical vegans who are either using it to manage another health condition or are trying it to see if it helps with a health condition.

I don't know people doing vegan keto IRL, and I'm not questioning your experience. But from the posts I've seen on MFP, a substantial percentage of people saying they want to "try" it who bother to respond to any queries on their thread seem to be "trying" it just for the sake of trying it, or because they've read somewhere on the Internet that it's the cleanest way to eat or the healthiest way to eat (see above in this thread) or the best way to lose weight, or essentially that it's the latest fad they're launching onto. And some of those, when they respond to queries, give strong indications that their true but unacknowledged motivation is to find the most restrictive diet they can, i.e., one with a set of allowable foods that approaches the null set -- a way to restrict calories to an ultra VLCD while claiming that it's a result of their super healthy WOE.
  • janejellyroll

I don't know people doing vegan keto IRL, and I'm not questioning your experience. But from the posts I've seen on MFP, a substantial percentage of people saying they want to "try" it who bother to respond to any queries on their thread seem to be "trying" it just for the sake of trying it, or because they've read somewhere on the Internet that it's the cleanest way to eat or the healthiest way to eat (see above in this thread) or the best way to lose weight, or essentially that it's the latest fad they're launching onto. And some of those, when they respond to queries, give strong indications that their true but unacknowledged motivation is to find the most restrictive diet they can, i.e., one with a set of allowable foods that approaches the null set -- a way to restrict calories to an ultra VLCD while claiming that it's a result of their super healthy WOE.

I don't dispute that at all. Although I've met people IRL and in other internet spaces that are doing vegan keto to help manage health conditions, I haven't yet met someone here who seems to be in that boat. It mostly seems to be people who want to either restrict as much as possible or are under the impression that keto is the best weight loss method for everyone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hey guys! I'm vegan and thinking of starting a ketogenic diet, but my sister thinks I'm crazy and I shouldn't, or at least add some seafood.
    What do you think?
    Any tips or ideas
    Thanks

I think vegan and keto are not compatible...not that it can't be done, but it'll be about the most restrictive thing ever and really friggin' boring
  • janejellyroll
    I’m doing vegan keto. It’s not restrictive, just need to do a little research and meal prep.

It's inherently restrictive. You're eliminating meat, dairy, and eggs and limiting your quantities of grains, beans, fruit, and starchy vegetables.
  • groovygene
    groovygene Posts: 2 Member
    I’m vegan and have tried it before. It’s not impossible! I did have to get creative. However, if you are really interested in trying it- I say go for it! I’d suggest doing some research prior, it was really helpful for me with coming up with meal ideas.
  • churchim808
    churchim808 Posts: 14 Member
    If you’ve been vegan for a long time, switching to a lower carb diet can be a big adjustment. I tried it and my body rebelled. We’re talking non-stop farts all day long. For someone who is accustomed to a high protein diet, maybe it’s not so harsh. The thing is, I never got close to what is considered a low carb diet. It was just low carb to me.