How to change the Foods you love

I need a recipe for hamburgers. My kids love burgers especially cheeseburgers. And a simple sloppy joe recipe because my kids also love it. I'm working staying under 350 cal and 61mg of sodium.

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Do you mean you want the burger to have 350 calories?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited January 2019
    Just use your old recipe and control serving size. If I have limited calories, I skip the buns or tortillas or whatever these things are usually served with. I either just eat the good stuff with a fork or as a lettuce wrap.

For the sloppy joe recipe, perhaps back off slowly on the sugar. If you take a little out every other time you make it, the others may not notice.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    You could make regular burgers for the family and you buy a frozen premeasured burger for yourself. Our you can explore the veggie burger recipes made from beans. Some of them are very good. As for the sloppy joe, make it as you usually do, just serve yourself less of it or eat it as an open face sandwich with only half the bun. In both cases, have a good size salad on the side to fill you up.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    You can add more veggies (grated carrot or courgette works well) into your home-made burger, and use a lean mince. Maybe skip the cheese on yours or have a thin slice of a strong/mature cheese rather than a bigger slice of a milder cheese?

There is a good cook book called ‘cook yourself thin’ that does meal exchange ideas like these for favourite meals, based on a BBC programme - it is on Amazon.

Good luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Burgers aren't really that high cal if you control portion size and use leaner beef and avoid high cal buns (they vary quite a bit in calories). That assumes you don't put a ton of mayo on them or anything. Some kinds of cheese have less cal than others naturally.

I'd log your options in MFP and see what different choices give you.

I usually skip the bun, but might occasionally buy wholegrain ones (not the lowest cal options ever, but I think a better choice for me). The bun then becomes my starch course (so no potatoes or the like on the side). In any case I'd have vegetables or salad as a side, along with the burger. If you have other food to fill up the plate it can help with wanting a giant burger, if that's an issue.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Make smaller patties out of leaner beef. Buy smaller buns--often the store brand ones are lower in calories than the fancy ones. Use reduced fat cheese. Put more veggie toppings on them instead of higher calorie toppings. Choose lower calorie sauces like mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, or fat free mayo.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Add shredded zucchini to the burger. Just squeeze a lot of the water out of the shredded zucchini with a towel and mix with the beef. This will add move volume for minimal calories. So you can make the same size burger with fewer calories and get more burgers.

Otherwise I agree with the other suggestions.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    I have added some cooked lentils or plain oatmeal to burgers and sloppy joes for healthy filler and doesn't change the taste or texture much.
  • aprlyg16
    aprlyg16 Posts: 4 Member
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Do you mean you want the burger to have 350 calories?
    You could make regular burgers for the family and you buy a frozen premeasured burger for yourself. Our you can explore the veggie burger recipes made from beans. Some of them are very good. As for the sloppy joe, make it as you usually do, just serve yourself less of it or eat it as an open face sandwich with only half the bun. In both cases, have a good size salad on the side to fill you up.

So, I. just need to eat less bread and more veggies and beans? Love it!
  • aprlyg16
    aprlyg16 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Use lower fat ground beef. Make smaller patties. I've yet to find buns that have less than 140 calories unfortunately, or you can buy slider buns (I like the idea of slicing a bun into 3s though... never thought of that).
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    You could use sandwhich thins for your bun (100 cals) or omit the bun all together and use a lettuce wrap. Laughing cow cheese wedges make a good sub for both the cheese and mayo and are 35 calories each. You could also serve your burger or sloppy joe mix over greens and make it a salad.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    We have burgers at least once a week. Either extra-lean ground beef (90/10, any more than that seems too dry) or ground venison. We go bunless and serve our burgers on a bed of shredded lettuce, usually topped with tomatoes, grilled mushrooms and garlic, sometimes bacon, and a slice of cheese or handful of blue cheese crumbles for DH (no cheese for me due to dairy sensitivity). And a veggie on the side like steamed broccoli or carrots.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    The lunch time smells are wafting through my office right now... And now I want a cheeseburger salad, lol. Chopped up beef patty, chopped slice of cheese, pickle slices, onions, tomatoes... with a creamy dressing drizzled on top. :yum:
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited January 2019
    I use 96% lean beef. I had a 18.5 oz hamburger patty (I was hungry and had the calories😁) the other night with 96%. It was 601 calories. Add 3/4 can of green beans and some a1 sauce and I was under 700 for the whole meal.
    6n6t693xfxr1.png
  • zakialshamy23
    zakialshamy23 Posts: 3 Member
    To good life click : https://souq.link/2H6gK7p