Step Goal

What’s everyone’s step goal for the day? I know the general goal should be 10K but just curious. I believe different people have different goals we are in different stages in our fit life. I have a daily step goal of 12K if I hit 12K in a day I know I’ve had a good day physically. 🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏻‍♂️

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    A good physical day for me includes non stepping exercises and most of my dresses don't have pockets for my phone when I am dancing, so I have my goal set to 9k.

I bet Google fit asks me to reconsider soon; multiple hikes in one week throw off the averages!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    8K. I have a desk job so hitting more than that is difficult and I have to get up and deliberately move around to hit it. My deliberate exercise is not step based either...I lift and cycle.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Mine's 7K. Desk job too. I have to get up and walk around the office on my breaks in order to hit it. So it's just challenging enough and keeps me from the sedentary activity level. On days with purposful excersise I tend to hit 10k pretty easily.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Mine is 6000 before purposeful exercise
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I had always tried to get to the 10,000 mark. But recently I've focused on a stair-climbing goal instead. I'm trying to get to 40 flights of stairs each day. I no longer take the elevator at work unless I'm carrying something heavy.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    In past years I’ve always had my Fitbit goal set to the default 10K.

This year I’ve changed my step goal is 12K as I’m trying to walk/run 2019 miles by the end of the year.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    The 10K goal was actually a fairly arbitrary number -- there's no real science behind that figure.

My goal is to do at least 350 calories a day through intentional exercise and my walking commute.
  • Ruben_244
    Ruben_244 Posts: 257 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    8K. I have a desk job so hitting more than that is difficult and I have to get up and deliberately move around to hit it. My deliberate exercise is not step based either...I lift and cycle.

That’s actually very true wolfman. I agree with you 100%. I also work a desk job and can totally relate to your post along with the others who have to go the extra mile to obtain those steps throughout the day.
  • Ruben_244
    I had always tried to get to the 10,000 mark. But recently I've focused on a stair-climbing goal instead. I'm trying to get to 40 flights of stairs each day. I no longer take the elevator at work unless I'm carrying something heavy.

40 flights of stairs is awesome Suzy! I bet that’s a great leg/quad workout!
  • Ruben_244
    margbarco wrote: »
    In past years I’ve always had my Fitbit goal set to the default 10K.

This year I’ve changed my step goal is 12K as I’m trying to walk/run 2019 miles by the end of the year.

2019 miles that’s an awesome goal! Best of luck!
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Mine is about 7,000 before exercise. I usually run as a workout and that brings it up to 10,000. I'm a student-teacher so I'm on my feet a lot. I still find myself walking around the classroom just to fit my steps in.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I aim for 10k a day. Sometimes this is a struggle with school. Sitting in class for 4-6 hours a day does not help! Working days I get an average of 14-15k.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Hi! I have had two hips and a knee replaced as a result of 22 years of refinery work.
    I wear my Fitbit every day as I believe it gives me a very accurate TDEE for each day. I too can't tolerate impact walking. However my Gazelle counts my steps very accurately with no impact at all. Love it!
    Congratulations to all of you for being so dedicated to your health!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited January 2019
    I’m not a step counter.
    Like @AnnPT77 and @cwolfman13, I am active in other ways.

A few years ago I borrowed a Fitbit and found that being so focused on getting steps in, everything else, which had much more varied movement, suffered.

That being said, there was a similar conversation a couple of weeks ago and I decided to look at the tracker thing that comes on an IPhone.

Apparently I averaged 6500 steps a day last year. Got to say a lot of those days were probably a couple of thousand under, and quite a few were a few thousand over.

I don’t have a goal, can’t see me having one in the near future. I just try to keep a reasonable amount of movement in my day, and do some form of exercise 5x60 a week.

Cheers, h.

• JDSapp4585
    JDSapp4585 Posts: 29 Member
    I set mine to 10k as well when I first got my Fitbit but having an active job(s) I have no problem hitting it during the week. I routinely hit a minimum of 17,000 to as much as 25,000 with the higher end being days I work 2 jobs. I bought a treadmill nearly 3 years ago before finding this app and getting the Fitbit and now only really get on it over the weekends after realizing I actually was quite active and just needed to eat healthier.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I have mine set at 15,000 steps but average over 20,000. 15,000 gives me the amount of food I like to eat (don't know how I'd cope with less than 2000 calories anymore) and walking is the exercise I can do and enjoy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    5-6K on a non workout day, 10K on a workout day
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    My step goal is just 5,000 a day. This motivates me to get up every now and then and move or park further away at the grocery store. I can't imagine hitting 10K without deliberately spending hours of my day walking! I already exercise 4-6 times a week; what more do you want from me?!? Haha