Hiking beginner

2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Water is heavy. If you know there will be water along your route when you do it, you can bring a filter and not have to carry so much.

I wouldn't do that in the borders, or most other places in Scotland though. There are often cows, sometimes sheep out in the hills, and you don't want to drink that water.

I prefer not to drink water cows have walked and pooped in too. I didn't have a choice for the 3 days I spent camped in Horseshoe Basin because it was 10 miles from the nearest road, that's a long way to carry water. I'm just posting this as an FYI, filters and purifiers will make this kind of water safe to drink. If you prefer to carry your own water, then by all means do it. :smile:

Agreed. I think people are thinking of general household filters that make safe water taste better. There are filters that will make any water safe to drink. There are even some, like Lifestraw, that fit into a water bottle so they filter as you drink instead of needing to pump. I lived through the Milwaukee Cryptosporidium outbreak and don't ever want to deal with something like that again. I have no hesitation using a purifier.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Definitely invest in your footwear! Personally, I hike in Merrell Trail Gloves, but I probably live in warmer climes than the Scottish Borders.

Also, invest in a good backpack that has a strap around the waist. It doesn't have to be a great brand, the strap around the waist is crucial, though. My current favorite was purchased at Walmart, of all places.
  • Thank you all so much - so many hints and tips!! Really appreciate you all taking the time to type out your suggestions and help out these 2 newbies :) We went for a great big walk yesterday and are looking forward to building it up and heading into the hills (now well equipped with new knowledge!) but will take it easy and enjoy ourselves :) Thanks again!!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Thank you all so much - so many hints and tips!! Really appreciate you all taking the time to type out your suggestions and help out these 2 newbies :) We went for a great big walk yesterday and are looking forward to building it up and heading into the hills (now well equipped with new knowledge!) but will take it easy and enjoy ourselves :) Thanks again!!

Post some pictures so we can all see beautiful Scotland!