Running glove suggestions

DX2JX2
DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
I wouldn't think it would be this difficult but I'm having a hell of a time finding gloves to run in that are warm and that have touchscreen capability. It seems that all manufacturers think that runners only want lightweight gloves but my hands get cold really quickly and I'd rather have my hands warmer than colder. I'm considering running in really heavy duty gloves but none of them seem to have the ability to work a touchscreen.

Any recommendations for gloves that would fit the bill?

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've always found the same. I've ended up over the years using thermal football gloves.

I'm just about to get ready for a run so I'll update with the brand I use.

EDIT= Sondico
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Same issue here. The thickest/warmest touchscreen gloves I found weren't warm enough for me on cold days and they weren't great on touchscreens anyway.

I decided to go the other way... on really cold days I wear mittens that keep my hands toasty warm and I just pull one off when I need to work a touchscreen.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Merino wool glove liners with a touch screen finger under mittens work pretty well, especially if you get the mittens that convert to fingerless gloves. You might have to get the mittens one size larger than normal to accomodate the gloves under but your fingers will stay much warmer. I have the ones below. I did end up cutting the fingerless parts of the gloves just below the finished edge because I found them to be too tight with that part on the mitten. Not sure if that makes sense but it works for me and I live in Maine. It gets pretty cold here.

https://www.amazon.com/WOWARM-Touchscreen-Windproof-Lightweight-Non-Slip/dp/B07G3S9R3Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546876456&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=merino+gloves+touchscreen&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/TrailHeads-Womens-Stretch-Convertible-Mittens/dp/B00FQPJCIU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546876565&sr=8-3&keywords=runner+mitten+gloves

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    All other things being equal... mittens will be warmer than gloves. So what about a mitten with a removable finger-cover? Something like these...
    10347402x1012905_zm?$product700$&yocs=_&yoloc=us
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    I'm not a runner, but recommend silver gloves, I suffer from circulation issues and wear fingerless silver gloves to keep my hands warm. Would they be an option to wear under your regular touch gloves. Bought mine on Amazon (raynauds/circulation gloves).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    edited January 2019
    I also suffer from cold fingers and toes (thanks mom!). The only thing that helps with my fingers is to wear mittens and make sure I constantly move my fingers and rub them against one another (doesn't work in gloves). I've not found a solution for my feet yet as I can't really rub my toes against another, and certainly not when running.

Considering I'm a sheep, I don't have fingers and toes anyway. Ho hum...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I wear a wicking liner glove under mittens or fleece gloves. You can get them with the touch pad although I have a hard time finding ones that work lol.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Brooks makes great mitten over glove things. Good for all the necessities...cause let's be honest- when it is that cold your nose will run...so there's that tol
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    DeFeet International makes gloves in both a Cordura and a Merino Wool & you can get them with or without palm grippies. Assuming you're in the US, an additional bonus is they are manufactured in North Carolina too.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Out of curiosity is your core temperature warm enough. The reason I say is because if your core isn't warm enough then the blood going to your hands will be on the cool side making your hands cold. Where if your core is warm then the blood going to your hands is warm helping them to keep warm. Think of your fingers like a radiator in your house where the pipes are lagged to keep the heat in them and the radiator hot when the water gets there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Could always use those little hand warmer packets. They work!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    I often have to remove my gloves during a run. Given that, I use what ever I find.

In high school, I wore cheap knit gloves that cost about $1 per pair.
    Now I've got a few options, some cheap running gloves from Target, some basic Nike ones that came with a hat.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    All other things being equal... mittens will be warmer than gloves. So what about a mitten with a removable finger-cover? Something like these...
    10347402x1012905_zm?$product700$&yocs=_&yoloc=us

^^^^^ This. Mittens will keep you warmer. I had the same problem with gloves and none of them kept my hands warm. I have a pair of mittens with flap and no problems since.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Out of curiosity is your core temperature warm enough. The reason I say is because if your core isn't warm enough then the blood going to your hands will be on the cool side making your hands cold. Where if your core is warm then the blood going to your hands is warm helping them to keep warm. Think of your fingers like a radiator in your house where the pipes are lagged to keep the heat in them and the radiator hot when the water gets there.

What? If your blood is "on the cool side" you are going to have much bigger issues than cold hands.

If your point is just that if you're cold overall your hands will be colder then fine. It also probably means you don't get cold hands and/or feet. I can be sweating profusely with my toes and fingers really cold (blue nails and all).
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member

What? If your blood is "on the cool side" you are going to have much bigger issues than cold hands.

If your point is just that if you're cold overall your hands will be colder then fine. It also probably means you don't get cold hands and/or feet. I can be sweating profusely with my toes and fingers really cold (blue nails and all).

You've taken out of context
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    I can't help with touchscreen issue, I recommend building a good playlist before you head out. I sweat alot so I always used tube socks as mittens so that I could wash them afterwards.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,477 Member
    This is my solution for the coldest weather

https://www.turtlefur.com/products/golf-mitt-original-turtle-fur-fleece-mitten

I wear touchscreen gloves, then pull these on over my hands. While running my hands are toasty warm. When I want to use my phone, GPS, or anything else which requires dexterity, it's a simple matter to slip my fingers out and do what I need. It's also nice because I can also easily pull the mitts back if my hands get too warm without having to carry them or find a place to stash them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I ended up buying a pair of fairly heavy weight gloves and my hands still got really cold (about an hour of running in <20F weather). I guess that unless you get the really hardcore technical gloves, fingers will always get cold when running because of the constant wind cooling down the glove itself.

Because I'm not a fan of wearing gloves more suitable for armor than running equipment, I ended up getting a pair of moderately heavyweight mittens. Screw the touch screen functionality, I'm done with cold hands.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    are we talking about watch touchscreens, or phone touchscreens? I can do basic functions on my phone with my nose... Probably not while running, but slowing down for a few strides is better than taking gloves off sometimes.