Stretches to improve hip flexibility?

I'm just starting my fitness journey and have signed up for jiu jitsu. I'm loving it but I'm over-weight currently and I have trouble with my hips being flexible enough to move through the techniques easily. Any suggestions on improving hip flexibility??

Replies

• vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Yoga often focuses on stretching the hips. Maybe worth checking out YouTube for yoga/hip stretches etc
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Start with these 4 stretches every few hours for 30 seconds.
    Avoid doing them within an hour of jiu jitsu - do dynamic stretches instead, which your class probably starts with.

extension - youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
    flexion - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOlGxeEnr0
    abduction - www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P87HQ1_ZH8
    external rotation: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

Let us know how it goes! :+1:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I use fitness blender's lower body stretching for flexibility to get me going every morning.
  • annalisa0
    annalisa0 Posts: 5 Member
    If your insurance covers physical therapy you can try that. I went because I thought something was wrong with my knee, but it turns out it was lack of flexibility in my hope and ankles. Look for a sports physical therapist.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    I also do yoga for my hip flexibility (or lack thereof). Gate, Triangle, Runner's Pose, Pigeon. You can also sit at your desk, put your ankle over your opposite knee and lean forward as far as possible. I do that several times a day.