Advise for Nightshift Worker

Ferris2011
Ferris2011 Posts: 1 Member
Hello Folks
Another year another attempt to shed the weight and get healthy.
Excuse alert : I work nightshift and often find this leads to hunger and bad choices.
Anyone got tips. I’m thinking still eat main meal before going out on shift. Then eat breakfast as normal.
If you agree. Anyone got any nightshift snack ideas that are easy and preferably can be pre made. Also does anyone just not eat from main meal until breakfast?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• ArielD84
    ArielD84 Posts: 3 Member
    Same problem with me. I’m thinking of trying the fruit and veggies at night only with plenty of water and a cup of coffee or 2 and if that doesn’t work I’ll be going to another shift. I lost 40lbs on 2nd shift probably because I was burning off everything I ate but third shift I find I eat with my family and at work so I think I’m putting in too many calories or my blood sugar might ne spiking too many times during the day and night.
  • thebelovedtree
    thebelovedtree Posts: 1 Member
    I work 3rd shift too, and those are the hardest days. I've made rules for myself that seem to work well, but you've got to experiment and figure out where you're getting off track.
    I only like very sweet caffeinated drinks so I switched to caffeine pills. I break them into smaller and reasonable portions so I'm not taking in so much caffeine. I can't do black coffee and sugary drinks on an empty stomach are super bad for me.
    If I do want coffee at night I mix it with Vega One protein powder and unsweetened almond milk so it's got enough protein and fat to keep my blood sugar stable.
    Any higher protein snack works well for me at night. If I've planned ahead I'll have leftovers from dinner or something prepped from the freezer.
    If I haven't I plan to have Cliff Chocolate Peanut Butter Builder's Bars or a protein shake on hand to go with oatmeal or something else I can grab quickly.
    I've tried things that you'd think would be better like
    fresh fruit and nuts, or veggies but I need something that's more filling kinda like a meal, but not really a whole meal and it can't be carby or I'll want to binge on sugar when I get home.
  • ginastartats
    ginastartats Posts: 5 Member
    Have you tried the Sargento snacks? The ones with cheese nuts and fruit? They are a healthier alternative than sweets
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    I work rotating shifts but majority of them are overnights. I usually try and pack a lighter meal (soup or salad) with a protein. Tonight I am taking a kale salad with two small salmon cakes and a homemade dressing. I also will be taking a small snack...a babybel cheese and some mini carrots...or possibly an instant oatmeal package to eat just before I leave so that I am not tempted to get Tim Hortons breakfast on my way home.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I work all shifts, so some days I'm up 24 hours. For night shift I don't eat before I go to work, it just makes me hungrier. I take a meal, a protein shake, and a protein bar. I also bring some vitamin caffeine water flavoring. I have a snack when I get home and eventually go to sleep.
  • erica_healthy
    erica_healthy Posts: 13 Member
    I'm trying out IF with shift work, for me its working, I just reverse my hours so I eat at night.
    I always have meals made and frozen so I can just grab something. Plus I bring a yougurt and apples. As most others have said protien is important. Try lots of different things to find what works for you.
  • lissacollins1uc
    lissacollins1uc Posts: 6 Member
    To: the belovedtree

I absolutely love those Cliff bars but gave them up due to carbs. As for drinks the only thing I can get down are the grape or peach flavored bottled waters ( expensive). My favorite treat is my sugarless Red Bull ( yes I know not the best choice)
  • lissacollins1uc
    lissacollins1uc Posts: 6 Member
    The IF is a wonderful idea. I practiced my first today. Only 10 hours no water - nothing. We’ll see if it kick starts any weight loss
  • valmrhmf
    valmrhmf Posts: 1 Member
    I work night shifts only for about 4 years now and the best routine i had required a lot of meal prep but I really felt great. The whole thing was more like the proper day time eating routine but with less carbs (so less bloating) and time adjusted:
    before shift - proper breakfast (oats or omelette something like that)
    1st meal (around midnight) - big bowl of protein&carbs
    2nd meal (around 0500) - protein&veg (soup goes great!)
    I allowed myself some healthy snacks with lots of coffee between meals but it’s not that necessary.
    Hope it helps
    xx
  • pd_miller
    pd_miller Posts: 8 Member
    @Ferris2011 are you following any particular eating plan for shedding weight? I can help you figure out appropriate snacks if I know what kind of eating you plan on doing. Such as, are you going low carb, high fat, medium protein or are you going high protein low medium carb low fat?