Mini Challenge: 10lbs down by Valentines Day? <3

Replies

• atheistred89
    atheistred89 Posts: 28 Member
    I've been averaging a deficit of 300-500 calories not including any light exercise I may have done to burn off more and it's been 10 days with no real change in my weight. A bit frustrated at this point. I was hoping I wouldn't hit a plateau.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    I've been averaging a deficit of 300-500 calories not including any light exercise I may have done to burn off more and it's been 10 days with no real change in my weight. A bit frustrated at this point. I was hoping I wouldn't hit a plateau.
    Have you been readjusting your calorie goal as you go along? I reset my goal at the beginning of every month so it lowers my calorie range (as we lose weight, we have to eat fewer calories to continue losing and my MFP doesn’t update that until i go reset my goal - I don’t know if it should and mine just isn’t for some reason). Also, lots of things can cause water weight so 10 days isn’t really enough time to show a definite trend. Salty food, starting a new workout routine or hormonal/other health issues can all cause water weight and confuse us about what’s going on. Errors in logging can be another issue too so I always try to err on the side of recording more calories on my food if I’m not 100% sure about it. If you’ve become more sedentary that can be an issue too. Walking around during the day, climbing stairs, running errands, etc - it really adds up so if we stop doing that sort of thing less weight will be lost. Plus, a lot of exercise calorie burn calculators overestimate what we actually burn and we may burn less than what MFP credits us for.

Either way, don’t give up! If you keep doing everything right and double check your numbers to be sure you’re in the right range, eventually a loss should show unless there is an error in the numbers. Our bodies have to burn those calories for us to live so keep at it and “trouble-shoot”!
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Starting weight 225
    Challenge start weight. 210.4
    Challenge goal. 199.8
    Final goal 126ish

12/28 - 210.4
    01/04 - 208.8
    01/11 - 207.4
    01/18 -
    01/25 -
    02/01 -
    02/08 -
    02/15 -
    02/22 -
    03/01 -
    03/08 -
    03/15 -
    03/22 -
    03/29 -
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    S I G H .... Fridays are gonna be a challenge to get the pre-work 7 minute HIIT in .... it is the day I report my weekly weigh-in on two challenges ... and check on progress by others ... and what's new here .... and I leave in less than 30 minutes and haven't started cooking breakfast eggs or coffee yet .... work-morning MFP is just as bad for my morning routine >:) as a brand new book! So hard to walk away from!

But I have been doing the 7 minutes HIIT session on my exercise bike twice MOST days this week, and at least once every day! (in addition to continuing my habitual after-work cardio routine)
  • BMcC9

Take a look at the spreadsheet here (from the MPF Must-Read approved links)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38265371#Comment_38265371

Also, right at the top of the General Health, Fitness and Diet message board is a thread of links that are highly recommended "Most Useful Posts General Health, Fitness and Diet (Must Reads)" for common questions and issues that keep coming up for members. The one called "Why eating too little calories is a bad idea" has clear explanations of how MFP arrives at its recommended target values and what it ASSUMES you are doing.

I suggest you read though these, and see if it helps clarify.

For those who didn't notice, there are corresponding Most Useful Posts [Message Board Name] (Must Reads)" containing moderator approved links on relevant topics at the top of each board .....
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    mmm4861 wrote: »
    I would love to do this! I weighed in on Friday at 208.4. I ultimately want to get down to 140 but for this challenge I would like to get to 199 by Valentine’s Day to be in the 100 club! 😊

I had my weekly weigh in today and I’m down to 207.2!! Keep pushing everyone! The real test is this upcoming week!

So I did pretty bad 😂

I went on vacation for a week with family and unfortunately I had such a hard time staying on goal with trying to accurately calculate calories (we went out to eat a lot) and I had no scale so I didn’t weigh myself until I got back.

December 31st I weighed in at 213!! 🙁

However, this Friday (my usual weigh in day) I weighed in at 207.8 so I feel like I’m back on track! Drinking lots of fluids and going back to my workout regiment definitely helped this week. 8.8 pounds to go!

Another week down and I did so good! Kept my weekly calories in check and did all my workouts for the week. I’ve had tons of energy...which is a shock since I wake up at 4am for work everyday and I do my workouts after work.

SW for this challenge: 208.4
    CW: 205.8
    GW for this challenge: 199

6.8 pounds to go! We can do this! 🙂
  • LMK20018
    LMK20018 Posts: 38 Member
    @LadySaton and @BMcC9 from Jan 9th post: thank you for all the info regarding macros etc and about calorie consumption, for reference I’m 5’4’’ enjoy the weekend
  • BMcC9
    LMK20018 wrote: »
    @LadySaton and @BMcC9 from Jan 9th post: thank you for all the info regarding macros etc and about calorie consumption, for reference I’m 5’4’’ enjoy the weekend

Happy to help. I am a "reference librarian" type, always wanting to point people to the resources they need and then letting them run with them.
  • jenr130
    jenr130 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m in!
    Starting weight 160
    Valentine’s Day goal 150
  • Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    lizziequek wrote: »
    i would love to attain a10 pound weight loss by 14 feb but will be happy with an 8 pound loss too.
    currently 136 lbs . would like to go down to 120s by valentine's day.

planning to disappear or what
  • reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    A week of vacation led to no weight lost or gained, which I consider a win! Back on the elliptical! Still have 6 pounds to go...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I've lost about 100, but it's starting to get away from me due to a hip.

CW: 169.4
    GW: 150

If I can be back in the 150's by Valentine's, I'll be thrilled.

SW: 169.4
    CW: 163.6
    GW: 150-s
    UGW: 147-152

Getting there!

• BMcC9
    reevess113 wrote: »
    A week of vacation led to no weight lost or gained, which I consider a win! Back on the elliptical! Still have 6 pounds to go...

Maintaining while on vacation is ABSOLUTELY a Win!!
  • BMcC9
    Determination: a quality that makes you continue trying to do or achieve something that is difficult.
    u04hjindbu7x.png

What we are all here to practice ....
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Weekly Weigh-In
    Dec 16 - 149.4
    Dec 23 - 147.7
    Dec 30 - 148.4
    Jan 06 - 146.8
    Jan 12 - 145.4

I forgot to post yesterday, oops! Lost another lb. Pretty happy with my progress so far. Was originally aiming for 1.5 lbs a week but I think I’m going to need to hope for closer to 1 lb a week now that I’m closer to my goal. Kind of a bummer because I wanted to be at my goal weight for my sister-in-law’s wedding in May but I’ll still be pretty dang close. Not quite sure I will hit a 10 lb loss by Valentine’s day either but I’ll keep working and see how close I can get :)
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Weekly Weigh-In
    Dec 16 - 149.4
    Dec 23 - 147.7
    Dec 30 - 148.4
    Jan 06 - 146.8
    Jan 12 - 145.4

I forgot to post yesterday, oops! Lost another lb. Pretty happy with my progress so far. Was originally aiming for 1.5 lbs a week but I think I’m going to need to hope for closer to 1 lb a week now that I’m closer to my goal. Kind of a bummer because I wanted to be at my goal weight for my sister-in-law’s wedding in May but I’ll still be pretty dang close. Not quite sure I will hit a 10 lb loss by Valentine’s day either but I’ll keep working and see how close I can get :)

Keep up the good work! I was hoping for 2 a week and I’m learning fast it’s going to be closer to one pound per week. It’s hard to be so patient with so much sacrifice. Like you, I started the challenge at 146 January 1. Aiming for 120 by June. I am 142 currently.
  • shawnt85
    shawnt85 Posts: 24 Member
    shawnt85 wrote: »
    I'd like to join. I'm just getting serious about getting started
    SW: 210.6
    CW: 210.6
    GW: 175

I've been at this for a month and i'm pretty sure i've actually gained 5lbs