Skiing when you’re obese, advice?

Hi everyone, last year when we went skiing for the first time as a family, at the time I was 190, and I had been running and had a ball!... things happened- my cheat days etc, I wasn’t 100% sticking to my diet- and now I’m 220... I’m worried how I will do, I have been back on the right track eating and kind of exercising but not much... we go next week and I’m wondering if I’m going to be having a MUCH harder time or what, although I was 190 last year, I did fine keeping up in the lessons and everything along with everyone else... I worry that I’m going to be having a much harder time this year or not... I got some nice socks this year, so I’m hoping I can be more prepared than I was last year too... and if anyone has suggestions as to any exercises at the gym that will help me out!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Skiing up hill will probably be a little more difficult, but on the bright side, you'll get free speed on the way down.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    When I ski and am out of shape, the skiing is fine. The falling is fine. But trying to get back up is always a problem! If you have better muscles, I think you will be fine. Go. Have fun. It is amazing exercise. Especially after a glass of wine at the lunch break.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    You go next week and are worrying about this now. I say go and have fun.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, last year when we went skiing for the first time as a family, at the time I was 190, and I had been running and had a ball!... things happened- my cheat days etc, I wasn’t 100% sticking to my diet- and now I’m 220... I’m worried how I will do, I have been back on the right track eating and kind of exercising but not much... we go next week and I’m wondering if I’m going to be having a MUCH harder time or what, although I was 190 last year, I did fine keeping up in the lessons and everything along with everyone else... I worry that I’m going to be having a much harder time this year or not... I got some nice socks this year, so I’m hoping I can be more prepared than I was last year too... and if anyone has suggestions as to any exercises at the gym that will help me out!

Do anything you can to improve your cardio fitness. Also, where do you carry your weight? Your center of gravity may be off a little so pay attention and make adjustments to your form if needed.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »

Do anything you can to improve your cardio fitness. Also, where do you carry your weight? Your center of gravity may be off a little so pay attention and make adjustments to your form if needed.

I carry it in my stomach, I don’t want to go to the gym every day and get sore beforehand, but I think I should go every other day up until I go? I normally go like 1-2x a week... I logged my weight almost every day last year, and I looked and saw I was 190 when we went skiing last year and I thought- really?! Omg what on earth have I gotten myself into! I didn’t really realize how much healthier I was
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    olive1968 wrote: »
    When I ski and am out of shape, the skiing is fine. The falling is fine. But trying to get back up is always a problem! If you have better muscles, I think you will be fine. Go. Have fun. It is amazing exercise. Especially after a glass of wine at the lunch break.

Thanks for the warning/advice!! Lol good to know
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I'm going to second (third?) the advice not to try to fix the fitness problem in a week.

Most likely you will be fine. Thirty pounds isn't as much as it might seem, depending on how tall you are, and if you haven't noticed a big loss of fitness in other areas of your life, you may not have such a hard time as you expect. Probably not as much of an issue as it would be for running, since in running you have to lift your own weight repeatedly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Make sure the camber stiffness is appropriate for your current weight. Or if you've got the longest version of your ski, just go have fun, and post some photos when you get back.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    The biggest difference I’ve noticed in my skiing since losing weight is that now I can sometimes get myself up after a fall without taking off my skis. But I was heavy when I learned to ski, so I never had that skill. If you could do it before, you probably still can now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There is nothing to do in a few days that will make much difference. Just go and have fun, and use it as motivation to get ready for next year!