Fat!!

Mikestitt2352
Mikestitt2352 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all, just joined as always trained and wanted to learn more about nutrition. First week of tracking my food and really surprised at how hard it is to eat the right amount of calories without going over on you recommend fat. Yesterday I had a Greek feta salad home make and a home made 2 sausage casarole again home made. Also had a peanut butter and banana wholegrain wrap and I massively went over my fat target. Any one have the save challenge? I feel I generally eat well and have the right size portions. Granted sausages are high in fat but even so. Any help, guidance would be much appreciated 👍

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    I don't really pay attention to macros. Some people need to dial them in with more precision due to fitness/body comp goals etc. but since I'm just working on a bit of vanity weight creep right now, the only thing I focus on is calorie intake.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    As long as I hit my protein and calories, I don't pay too much attention to where the fat/carbs fall.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    SpicyWater wrote: »
    As long as I hit my protein and calories, I don't pay too much attention to where the fat/carbs fall.

Yep, this is how I do it as well.
  • Monounsaturated fat is great for your brain so if you're getting it from the right sources, don't worry about it. I suggest switching to a more plant based diet to achieve maximum health benefits but you do you man.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Fat has 2x the caloric value (9cal/g) than carbs and protein (4cal/g). So by eating more fat, you’re going to max out your calorie allowance faster. Like stated in previous comments, as long as you stay below your allowance, it doesn’t matter much what the macros figure out to be...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Fat calories are a rude shock. All the meals you mentioned have high fat additions. Fat helps many feel full faster so if you measure carefully and stay in your calorie limit you will still lose weight.

There are lower fat options.

Nothing replaces feta really. Finely chopped cauliflower will replicate the look. Maybe try pickled cauliflower?

There’s PB2 which you can make in to a paste with water.

Lower fat meats include chicken breast.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I like fat.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Love PB2! I just discovered you can mix it in plain yogurt and a little sweetener .... amazing dessert
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Mike1804 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

Love PB2! I just discovered you can mix it in plain yogurt and a little sweetener .... amazing dessert

Yeah, I don't even like or add sweetener, but it's a nice combo.

Actual nut butter (with the fat) and non fat greek yogurt is a great dessert too. Higher in fat and cals, but not insane if you moderate amounts, and contributes protein.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    OP, like everyone said, worrying about fat isn't necessary, so long as you are staying in your calories (and ideally hitting protein).

That said, it is worth looking at your diary and seeing why you went over, as it helps with understanding food.
    I eat greek salad a lot, but it tends to be higher fat as most of the higher calorie items on it are from fat (vegetables plus olive oil in the dressing, olives, feta). Sausage is one of the highest fat meats. Peanut butter is high fat. None of these foods are bad for you in moderation, and some are actually what I'd call more nutrient dense foods, but putting them all together on one day, you'd have a higher fat day -- which again is totally okay, but it's worth learning about.