Signs that Calories are Too Low

brittlb07
brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am on day 11 of counting my calories. MFP suggested I eat 1,200 calories for my 5’4 height. I started at 146 and I’m down to 141 after the 11 days. So far most days I’ve been okay on 1,200 calories. But tonight I was laying in bed and my heart was racing. When limiting my calories in the past, I’ve noticed this happens. Is this a sign I’m not eating enough? Has anyone else noticed this is a sign of too low calories? I know people who fast all day at times so it’s hard for me to believe it’s from that. My stomach is not growling or anything. My goal weight is 120.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    How many pounds per week did you set MFP to?
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2019
    As a side note, it's pretty easy to test. See if your symptoms stop briefly after eating. I feel like you're more likely to be dehydrated myself but a visit to the doc might be in order
  • TheJacob_94
    TheJacob_94 Posts: 5 Member
    Are you meeting your fat macros? I have had a similar experience in the past when dieting wrong.
  • brittlb07
    Are you meeting your fat macros? I have had a similar experience in the past when dieting wrong.

I am not sure I understand the macros thing. Is this it? It looks like I am OVER on fat.oxv01fpgrw2t.png
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    1,200 is the absolute minimum you should eat and with your stats it seems like you really don’t have a lot to lose so your goal shouldn’t be more than .5-1lb a week. As others have mentioned don’t forget to eat back your exercise calories as well.

No I am 20 pounds over weight. I have a VERY small bone frame. I have been 120-130 my whole adult life and due to some depression issues the last year, spiked 15 pounds. Trust me when I say that the 140-146 I am at right now is not appropriate for me. Lot of extra fat around my midsection right now.

Are you lifting?
  • brittlb07
    kami3006 wrote: »
    alexhayg wrote: »
    I'm 5ft2 and my BMR is 1450 (for a sedentary job). So this is the base number of calories I should eat a day. I would suggest you Google your bmr and go from that. There are loads of calculators that will work it out for you. Remember to eat good foods as well. 300 cals of veg will make you feel fuller and much better than 300 cals of cookies!

My BMR is 1428.15 so to lose weight, I would certainly need to be around 1200.

You need to eat below your TDEE (which includes bmr, all activity and exercise) to lose, not your BMR (this is the amount you need to survive if you were in a coma).

What is TDEE? Man. I have a lot to learn! That is where I was confused, then. I thought that if your BMR was 1428 then that's what you need to sustain where you are. But I need to lose. So that's not right?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    1,200 is the absolute minimum you should eat and with your stats it seems like you really don’t have a lot to lose so your goal shouldn’t be more than .5-1lb a week. As others have mentioned don’t forget to eat back your exercise calories as well.

No I am 20 pounds over weight. I have a VERY small bone frame. I have been 120-130 my whole adult life and due to some depression issues the last year, spiked 15 pounds. Trust me when I say that the 140-146 I am at right now is not appropriate for me. Lot of extra fat around my midsection right now.

With only 20lbs to lose .5lb a week is very reasonable.