The best bfp to be at before bulking?

What is going on my beautiful fit fam! So a little over a year ago I decided to change my life for the better, I got off my butt and lost 50lbs, going from 240+ to know being at 189. I also started at 49% body fat and currently I believe I am around 20%. What is a good % to be around to start bulking, my goal is to be around 10-15%, Should I still be focusing on cutting? What are some of your peepz opinions on the matter. Also feel free to add me if you're looking for motivation, #dobetter

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If your goal is to be as low as 10-15% body fat, I would continue cutting until your below 15%.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Honestly, I usually switch when I just can't take the calorie deficit any longer...and then after a month of more food, I can go back to eating less...it's totally mental preservation for me...I lift all the time, but I do more intense/longer sessions when I am eating more, and I really aim for maintenance and eating to appetite more so than aiming for a specific "bulking" calorie goal.

I usually switch back and forth from month to month. You can call it a diet break or a recomp, but whatever you call it, I get to eat more food and lift more weights from time to time.
  • FitBeardedJourney
    FitBeardedJourney Posts: 94 Member
    Yeah I think my mind is so eager to increase my muscle size, I have been going back and forth from focusing on muscle growth to losing fat... I am also always eating in a calorie deficiency, even when working out. I started doing fasted cardio, which I have heard has its pros and cons. I have been getting results I guess I just want them quick. I have gone from 49% to 20% in 12 months which is good just want to cross that threshold where I can add lean muscle. HAHA!
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    I would say cut to sub 15% first then start bulking
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    unless you're around 10-12%, you're probably still pretty "soft" in some areas. Also, you probably don't want to "bulk" beyond 17-18% and give yourself the over weight health issues/risks. So, I personally wouldn't bulk until i'm between 10-12. If you need a "break", then try eating your maintenance calories for a week. Even better, have you tried re-feed days?

Also, there is a big difference between 10 and 15% BF... you might want to focus on how you want to look and not a number. Just my $0.02.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    10%...12% at the most.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    If 10 to 15% is your goal, then somewhere between that would be ideal to start a bulk. Generally the leaner, the better. Ten to 16% is my bulk range (start to end).
  • FitBeardedJourney
    I appreciate all the feedback, I'll continue to cut before focusing too heavily on mass!
  • tonyfastz06
    you'd be surprised what you find buried under there when you microwave away all the unwanted weight!!!
  • FitBeardedJourney
    @tonyfastz06 It's an addiction now! I have lost a total of 50lbs so far since last December and I know I have gained some muscle, but I kick myself every time working on it sooner
  • tonyfastz06
    @FitBeardedJourney I'd definitely concur! I tell people that i started my journey based on basic health concerns with being hyoooge... now i tell them I've definitely transferred over to vanity LMAO (let's call it.. "Boosting Self Confidence" mmm kay?)