January 2019 Self Care Challenge

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I bought this cute calendar at a craft fair last month. This is my self care chart for January. I can see that I do not eat enough veggies :)
    qde8hl4mgjrn.jpeg

I love this, Julie! I actually made a "Habit Tracker" spreadsheet, but I haven't been using it. The calendar is great.

I have been sticking with my gratitude journal and my "write something every day" goal, but so far the writing is rather uninspired.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    It's the new year, I need to be more mindful of my health and be more consistent in my efforts.
    today:
    journal food choices
    make a meal with only one carb choice
    Creating a contest in local weight group with 30 better healthy choices to win bingo
    drink 64 oz water
    check yoga video
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    January 8th:
    -Completed my morning & evening hygiene routines
    -Ate enough, but not too much even though I went out for breakfast
    -Journaled
    -Went to the gym
    -Hung out with a friend
  • jmgr9993
    jmgr9993 Posts: 41 Member
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I bought this cute calendar at a craft fair last month. This is my self care chart for January. I can see that I do not eat enough veggies :)
    qde8hl4mgjrn.jpeg

I love this, Julie! I actually made a "Habit Tracker" spreadsheet, but I haven't been using it. The calendar is great.

I have been sticking with my gratitude journal and my "write something every day" goal, but so far the writing is rather uninspired.

That calendar is a creative idea. Something simple to use and I am a visual person so that would help to to truly see if you are staying on track with self care. Thank you for sharing!!
  • Fitatelo
    edited January 2019
    January 9th:
    -Ate enough
    -Journaled
    -Went to the gym
    -Meditated
    -Took a bath & exfoliated
    -Took a nap
  • 57discovery
    57discovery Posts: 3,100 Member
    I am thinking that if I consider some of the things that I need to do for myself as self care and I take the time to report back on what I actually do.....it will Keep me motivated and feeling accomplished
    Went to bed when started to fall asleep on couch
    Said NO to going out when I did not want to do, while in the past felt like I needed to please the other person more than myself
    Was more aware of my evening snacks and made better choices

My intention is to check here several times a week IF not daily:)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    Jan 10
    Watched my online art class videos as I walked (carefully)!

Petted & snuggled with my cat & allowed myself a slower, more relaxed day.

Ate healthily at home (despite wanting to go out)

Exercised for 78 minutes walking back & forth for an errand.

Reminded myself that my “Body is my ally; my partner for life.” & took several “Let it Go” breaths (4 beats in, hold for 5, breath out for 7 or more slowly.)
  • jmgr9993
    So yesterday I had it all planned out how I was going to put myself first. I was going to leave work on time, I was going to go to the gym to workout, eat a healthy dinner with the family and read a good book before bed. I was 10 minutes away from escaping work to take care of my self needs. I was asked by another manager if I would be willing to meet with a new employee who was struggling with her new job. I agreed... put a time limit on how long I would meet with this person. I sat down with the individual to see what she is struggling with the most and we would come up with a plan for success. She tells me she is so nervous about this new job that she hadn’t slept in 28 hours. She feared she wasn’t up to speed like everyone else and feared she would lose her job. She then proceeded to tell me her dad is dying of stage 4 cancer and her mother is not able to physically care for her father. She moved out of her home and in with her parents to care for them. If she lost this job she did not know what she would do because she is the sole income for everyone. This totally broke my heart. I ended up canceling everything and worked with her till 8:30 last night. In the past I would have been mad or frustrated with myself for not saying no and not putting myself first. However putting another human being in pain ahead of my own selfishness is sometimes just as important. So I reflected on if I made the best decision for me! When this person got up to leave and expressed endless gratitude for me giving up my time to help her I knew in that moment that in helping her made me feel good and that was all the self care I needed for that day!! Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!!!
  • Fitatelo
    January 10th:
    -Journaled
    -Went to the gym
    -Meditated
    -Cleaned the house
  • MadisonMolly2017
    jmgr9993 wrote: »
    So yesterday I had it all planned out how I was going to put myself first. I was going to leave work on time, I was going to go to the gym to workout, eat a healthy dinner with the family and read a good book before bed. I was 10 minutes away from escaping work to take care of my self needs. I was asked by another manager if I would be willing to meet with a new employee who was struggling with her new job. I agreed... put a time limit on how long I would meet with this person. I sat down with the individual to see what she is struggling with the most and we would come up with a plan for success. She tells me she is so nervous about this new job that she hadn’t slept in 28 hours. She feared she wasn’t up to speed like everyone else and feared she would lose her job. She then proceeded to tell me her dad is dying of stage 4 cancer and her mother is not able to physically care for her father. She moved out of her home and in with her parents to care for them. If she lost this job she did not know what she would do because she is the sole income for everyone. This totally broke my heart. I ended up canceling everything and worked with her till 8:30 last night. In the past I would have been mad or frustrated with myself for not saying no and not putting myself first. However putting another human being in pain ahead of my own selfishness is sometimes just as important. So I reflected on if I made the best decision for me! When this person got up to leave and expressed endless gratitude for me giving up my time to help her I knew in that moment that in helping her made me feel good and that was all the self care I needed for that day!! Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!!!

@jmgr9993 You are an angel! 😇
    People are so inherently good, and want to help others!

I will be on the lookout today to see who might need help or a spirit lift!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited January 2019
    I’m trying something new today :)

I got to lab on time today, and told myself “Awesome job, Maddie!”

I did not go to coffee shop after the labs were drawn, as I usually do, and drive home and made my breakfast. “That’s 2. Great job!”

So I’m at a 2 so far today. Anytime I do something I would have avoided or would have succumbed to a less healthy choice” I’m gonna give myself another “Brownie Point!”

I have to acknowledge and celebrate my
    Mini-successes.

Last night I drew for at least an hour! And I went for a 3-4 mile walk in cold & dark when I didn’t want to...so 2 retroactive Brownie Points for yesterday! :)

BTW- looked up the etymology of Brownie Points LOL
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member

This literally has me in tears. <3
  • Fitatelo
    January 11th:
    -Showered
    -Tried to stay positive
    -Slept in
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    edited January 2019
    @jmgr9993 That is a heartbreaking story. But you really did such a kind hearted thing by being an active listener and helping her. To me that is such a successful day....Being of service to someone in need.

Today :
    Hair cut and color and read my book
    Exercise (even though i don’t feel like it)
    Continue to clear clutter. Yesterday, I filled one big black garbage bag and two white medium ones up with just junk. Things that mean nothing to no one.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 I love your positive self talk! It really is important and helps so much. Thanks for your inspiration.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @MadisonMolly2017 I love your positive self talk! It really is important and helps so much. Thanks for your inspiration.

@RubyRed427 thanks! I loved yours, too. As I’ve mentioned before, you always inspire me 💪🏻🎉🧘‍♀️❣️
  • jmgr9993
    Yesterday we went for a brisk, cold hike on a new trail 30 minutes from our home. Pic below. Husband and our kids had family date night after our hike. It was very enjoyable.

Today: we are in the middle of a snow storm. So it is beyond freezing cold outside. Hubby and I cuddled under the warm covers and talked for a good hour. We have been married for close to 18 years it’s been awhile since we have taken the time to cuddle and catch up on things like that. My husband asked me if I would be interested in doing a 40 day challenge where you do something nice or go above and beyond for your spouse in 40 days. I thought this was a great idea. After being married for so long things become habit or you take the extra special things your spouse does for grant it. So I’m excited to try it.

Update: the employee I spent time with on Thursday.. she came into work Friday with a pep in her step, a smile on her face, and for the first time since starting she looked relaxed. Plus most importantly I asked if she got any sleep and she did !!! Success 😊

• MadisonMolly2017
    Yesterday we went for a brisk, cold hike on a new trail 30 minutes from our home. Pic below. Husband and our kids had family date night after our hike. It was very enjoyable.

Today: we are in the middle of a snow storm. So it is beyond freezing cold outside. Hubby and I cuddled under the warm covers and talked for a good hour. We have been married for close to 18 years it’s been awhile since we have taken the time to cuddle and catch up on things like that. My husband asked me if I would be interested in doing a 40 day challenge where you do something nice or go above and beyond for your spouse in 40 days. I thought this was a great idea. After being married for so long things become habit or you take the extra special things your spouse does for grant it. So I’m excited to try it.

Update: the employee I spent time with on Thursday.. she came into work Friday with a pep in her step, a smile on her face, and for the first time since starting she looked relaxed. Plus most importantly I asked if she got any sleep and she did !!! Success 😊

Ohh, I like that challenge! What a great husband you have. I will suggest it to mine!

Awesome update on the coworker you helped. Big smiles here!