Debating going Keto

124»

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    I'm on day 6 of my keto diet and loving it!! I joined after my friend starting and she lost 15lbs in 5 weeks. Im not sure if I've lost anything yet as I dont own scales but I feel like I have either way i feel fantastic! The first few days were hard i felt really tired but thats began to pass now. My partner is doing it with me even tho he doesnt have weight to lose and he is also really enjoying the food and his shorts are telling me hes lost some belly fat. I'm finding it works really well on keeping my calories under control I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything at all whereas a 1200cal low fat diet i did.

Message me if you want to chat more :)

What was the reason behind restricting both calories and fat?

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    In the end, how you lose your weight is how you'd have to maintain it. I understand the temptation just get some weight off no matter what. But the truth is..you have to find an eating plan that works with your life, personality ..and you can sustain during loss..and beyond.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm on day 6 of my keto diet and loving it!! I joined after my friend starting and she lost 15lbs in 5 weeks. Im not sure if I've lost anything yet as I dont own scales but I feel like I have either way i feel fantastic! The first few days were hard i felt really tired but thats began to pass now. My partner is doing it with me even tho he doesnt have weight to lose and he is also really enjoying the food and his shorts are telling me hes lost some belly fat. I'm finding it works really well on keeping my calories under control I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything at all whereas a 1200cal low fat diet i did.

I think she was comparing keto with restricted calories to a low fat diet with restricted calories (on which she felt hungrier).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    arialb122 wrote: »
    arialb122 wrote: »
    I've been keto for a year. I've lost 129 lbs so far. It's not just about losing weight on keto. You lose the inflammation due to the processed foods. You gain a clear cognitive mind, more energy, overall improvement in the way you feel. I'm strict keto meaning ingredients are the most important thing. I have not missed out or felt deprived of any food.

Also the way of eating is not hard or complicated. I thought that at first too, but quickly learned it's is pretty simple. Bottom line for me I will never go back to a western diet. I will stay keto going forward.

for you it may have done that, for me it caused me inflammation(I have RA), I was lethargic and my mind was awful .my short term memory went to hell and I never had an issue before and dont now. I was on it 2 months and it wasnt keto flu because I did research and made sure to prevent the keto flu before I started. my health was literally going down the drain and I was very close to having hubby take me to the ER because I felt like my body was shutting down. he told me I needed to stop keto and see what happens, I did and things improved again and went back to normal(well what is normal for me) I lost no more weight on keto than any other way of eating.

weight loss in and of itself can cause an improvement in health issues as well. I also eat processed foods and they do not cause me any inflammation at all ,not even my RA

That's so interesting! I have RA and have had significant improvement with my RA. It's amazing how different bodies are.

yep mine is at a minimum right now and I dont need meds yet(its been more than 10 years since diagnosed). but when I was doing keto I was in a LOT of pain. not so now as I no longer do keto

Sorry, I wrote that poorly! I am doing keto and have been miraculously pain free since the second week I began. I am, however, on two different RA meds (plaquenil and sulfasalazine). I'm glad you're doing well without the keto diet!

thanks and without meds for now. for me what helps is weight training.
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    I am one of those people that didn't lose anything on keto. On top of it, it gave me dry eyes. It can not be coincidence - I tried keto/Atkins about 3 times and got dry eyes every time several weeks into, which went away shortly after adding carbs back.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think she was comparing keto with restricted calories to a low fat diet with restricted calories (on which she felt hungrier).

I know... I was trying to figure out why she felt that restricting calories and fat was necessary and she couldn’t just focus on calories. I’d feel pretty dang hungry too if I was eating the bare minimum and restricting fat on top of that.
  • wictionV
    wictionV Posts: 2 Member
    Raysie1 wrote: »
    News out of the UK today pushing the importance of fibre, which may be lacking in a keto diet.

Not really. I am 3 months into keto (cheated during the holidays) but have lost about 10 pounds a month. I eat a lot of green vegetables make bread from almond flour and don't feel like I am on a diet at all. Cutting sugar and carbs was the best choice for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    wictionV wrote: »
    Raysie1 wrote: »
    News out of the UK today pushing the importance of fibre, which may be lacking in a keto diet.

Not really. I am 3 months into keto (cheated during the holidays) but have lost about 10 pounds a month. I eat a lot of green vegetables make bread from almond flour and don't feel like I am on a diet at all. Cutting sugar and carbs was the best choice for me.

I'm glad keto is working for you, but your response to the point about fiber didn't really address fiber. How many grams are you getting a day?

(It's not a default option in your food diary but you can swap something for it here https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings )
  • martin71967
    martin71967 Posts: 16 Member
    i mix keto and low carb. theres a lot of recipes for both it really alows you more ceativety with your meals. it works great for me i feel alot less sluggish and my mental health is better.