Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Replies

• zakfyter
    zakfyter Posts: 6 Member
    My favourite exercise has always been swimming, but it is difficult to fit around work. My fall back exercise was cycling, now I've ordered an exercise bike to "get back in the saddle". I'm jealous of the dog walkers, I really want a dog - but it wouldn't be fair when I work at least 16 hours a day.

Kinda in the same boat...I’m really more of a cat person, but just for the exercise I would walk a dog...I’ll have to borrow one or something =)
  • lifetimelady02
    lifetimelady02 Posts: 14 Member
    52 and could use some help and guidance. What worked for me 7 years ago when i lost 125 is not working now. Needless to say my energy level is not the same as back then and I cannot even do the same workouts. Please feel free to add me and let's share the journey back to health
  • jbarr9011
    jbarr9011 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm in.
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    Happy Saturday! Question if the day! How do you reward yourself for a good day, week or month? Other than food or drink?

I like getting a massage, buying new shoes or maybe sleeping in. I’d love to hear how you all reward yourself!
  • lifetimelady02
    Good month = something new to wear or shoes
  • csdmurr
    csdmurr Posts: 4 Member
    I’m in... been logging off/on but not serious. Lost over 100 back some time. Recently l’ve been told I was in bad health, hard wake up call. I want to achieve what I need to loose. I’m restricted doing some exercise but I’ll just to work harder. How did I join this group? Thank you, look forward to being there with everyone.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    I am 49, is that close enough to 50?
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    QOTD - How do I reward myself for a good day, week, or month. Hmmmm. The answer is that I don't. Is this something that people commonly do? I mean I'll get things if I want things - but not as a reward. I usually just feel happy about an accomplishment - but no rewards. Maybe I'm missing out on something.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    @zakfyter, I used to have a friend here in the neighborhood and we would get up at 5 a.m. to walk. I definitely like walking with other people too but most people can walk faster than me now with my knee the way it is. Can’t wait until I drop a lot of this weight and I’m able to walk without pain again. Looking forward to that day!!

@lifetimelady02, doing a friend request now. We need each other on this journey.

@Slider678, I always just thought of it as losing X amount of weight or another NSV was the reward in itself. One thing I used to do is when I would leave the dr.’s office I’d stop for a donut just to reward myself and relieve the stress of going to the dr. I’ve lost the urge for stopping for things like that. Maybe I’ll use a night out with DH for a reward – movies and a healthy dinner. And a massage sounds pretty awesome, too!!

@csdmurr, those hard wakeup calls are good to get us back to focusing on health. Bless you on your journey.

@dnunny70, for sure!!

@allison8668, the weight loss or other NSV is a great reward!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
    Bonnie in Nashville TN
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    QOTD - How do I reward myself for a good day, week, or month. Hmmmm. The answer is that I don't. Is this something that people commonly do? I mean I'll get things if I want things - but not as a reward. I usually just feel happy about an accomplishment - but no rewards. Maybe I'm missing out on something.

Great mindset! I need to work on that!

Bonnie what does NSV mean?
  • lifetimelady02
    Nsv is non scale victory. Sometimes scale may not move but you may feel clothes looser or fit in a smaller size for example 😀
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Question if the day! How do you reward yourself for a good day, week or month? Other than food or drink?
    I still see food as a reward. BUT, I'm logging my rewards, lol. Tonight is family movie night and we are having cheese fondue. Logged, no guilt.
    Friends have gifted me with their old workout clothes. Time to get serious and get my next reward of new workout clothes!
    I also ordered a new FitBit band in small, so that is waiting for my wrists to shrink - 3 holes to go on my current band.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    zakfyter wrote: »
    Howdy all, from Oregon. My goal is to lose at least 70lbs.

My biggest hindrance is myself. I tend to self-sabotage. I’m an extreme emotional eater and 2018 was very stressful with losing my dad, my mom moving to memory care, and their house of nearly 50 years being sold all while trying to be a student and work. I’m 52 and it was just too much and I found my comfort in food...AGAIN. I’ve always had a weight issue and have dieted off/on since Jr High.

I hope to help myself and others stay on track through the hard times, what lever they maybe, so I/we don’t derail/give up.

Please feel free to add me...I’m Nancy.

Boy does this sound familiar!! I'll do the "right" thing for most of the week, then it's like my brain just shuts off.

Favorite exercise is swimming - I'm participating with a Master's team before work 3 days (like that coach). Would do more open water depending on available time & weather. Used to road bike but hip replaced last Thanksgiving and now restrictions. So got some limitations but trying to bump things up.
    Rewards - Not really, at this point in life thinking about experiences, though the massages; oh yeah.
  • Sparkle1098
    Sparkle1098 Posts: 16 Member
    How do I you reward myself for a good day, week or month?

Great minds think alike!! This is a topic I have been thinking about for the last couple of days and these are a few ideas I come up with

Getting a large glass vase and putting it by the fireplace in my family room and every time I loose a pound putting a pound of marbles in it. I want to see it daily and pick it up when having a challenging day to remind myself about the goal and extra pounds I have been carrying

The money jar... loose a pound put in $5.00..... put in a $1.00 because you passed on Starbucks and so on

Tomorrow I’m starting this reword program! Going to buy marbles at the dollar store and then out to to look for a clear vase and money jar!

Falling in love with the process of becoming the very best version of myself!!!

• BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Sorry, @Slider678, I responded to your question but now don't see it anywhere. Thanks for answering his question, @LifetimeLady02.
  • NightSky852
    NightSky852 Posts: 7 Member
    i am in
  • NightSky852
    NightSky852 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2019
    i am trying lchf (keto). only 5 days in. not that easy. it might help it it was not -30 celcius to go out and get food out of my mind....
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    i am trying lchf (keto). only 5 days in. not that easy. it might help it it was not -30 celcius to go out and get food out of my mind....

I found the keto didn't fit with my lifestyle - but my colleagues have had AMAZING results! I hope that it works for you xx
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Question if the day! How do you reward yourself for a good day, week or month? Other than food or drink?

When I lost weight 2 years ago, I made a list of rewards for each 10 pounds that also helped me feel even better about myself
    10 pounds: I started getting my hair professionally colored. I had stopped years before because I didn't want to sit and look at myself in a mirror for hours.
    20 pounds: Botox,
    30 pounds: manicure and pedicures,
    40 pounds: massage and facial
    47 points: shopping spree!

I now need to re-lose 20 pounds and want to lose the final 5 pounds. but this time my rewards are goals
    10 pounds down by Superbowl party
    15 pounds down by Billy Joel Concert
    25 pounds down by California vacation over Memorial Day weekend.

Mini goals and rewards are super motivational for me.