Just lost my way completely, cannot stop eating

I started on this site in 2016 and managed to lose some weight (around 60 lbs total). Over the last year the weight has steadily crept up. Partly because 2018 was a very stressful year, but also because I was tired of weighing everything I eat and constantly thinking about calories and all the things that were off limits. Plus, I had gotten hungrier and although I wanted to lose a few pounds more, the weight wasn't coming off.

Although I had bad days, it wasn't too terrible as I usually managed to get back to eating right. But now I just eat, can't seem to get back into counting calories as I just feel so hungry all the time. I've tried a few different things, increased my calories to maintenance even, but nothing works. I get hungry and binge.

Since mid December I have gained over 10 lbs. At the end of August I was around 115 lbs, I now weigh 134 lbs or so. How do I stop this? Please help!

Replies

• Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    How tall are you? Maybe 134 is a good weight for you.

5'2. I am at the very top end of the BMI scale. Definitely not happy being this large!
  • saz105
    saz105 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    j

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Still no gender and age reported I think? I wouldn't really want to comment with partial info.
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Are you trying to restrict too much then getting genuinely hungry and then bingeing? How about starting with a filling breakfast and trying to avoid getting too hungry and seeing if that helps. Fill up on lots of veggies.
    Nothing is 'off limits' on here but some things need to be in smaller portions to stay within your calorie allowance.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Are you exercising, and if so, do you eat back your exercise calories? Not eating exercise calories is a really common reason why people feel hungry.

What does your average protein, fiber, and fat intake look like? Many people find that these things help them feel full.
  • Sam29a
    Still no gender and age reported I think? I wouldn't really want to comment with partial info.

I'm female, 32. Top end of normal weight right now.
  • Sam29a
    vetvicki wrote: »
    Are you trying to restrict too much then getting genuinely hungry and then bingeing? How about starting with a filling breakfast and trying to avoid getting too hungry and seeing if that helps. Fill up on lots of veggies.
    Nothing is 'off limits' on here but some things need to be in smaller portions to stay within your calorie allowance.

Perhaps that's what it is. I was able to stick to 1100-1300 calories for a long time, over a year and a half, no problem. Now, I try eating that little and just feel ravenous. I then binge and tell myself I'll have whatever I want, get it out of my system, but of course, that never works! I don't exercise and never really have, which seems to be the biggest problem for me. I can't lose much weight on 1200 as it is.

• Sam29a
    Start tracking your intake.

I have been tracking, but binges are pretty difficult to track. I literally eat until I can't force anything else down. Don't know why I self-sabotage every time, but it's a difficult habit to break.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    If I could send you motivation via the internet then I'd be a rich man
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Sam29a wrote: »
    ]

Perhaps that's what it is. I was able to stick to 1100-1300 calories for a long time, over a year and a half, no problem. Now, I try eating that little and just feel ravenous. I then binge and tell myself I'll have whatever I want, get it out of my system, but of course, that never works! I don't exercise and never really have, which seems to be the biggest problem for me. I can't lose much weight on 1200 as it is.

I am having the EXACT same issue. I LIKE to eat- like it's a hobby or something. Not sure what to do about it. Am seeing a dietician this week to see if I can get some help.
    I ate a large breakfast this morning and didn't have a big lunch as wasn't hungry but as soon as my toddlers had their nap at 1pm all I wanted to do is snack or eat junk food.
    It was suggested to me as well that I'm bingeing because I'm actually hungry but it's still a very hard habit to break.
    Am hoping you have better luck with this than me!