Corrine Crabtree's Phit-n-Phat... Anyone following her podcast?

I've been LOVE LOVE LOVING her podcast and suggestions. I would love to be part of her pnp tribe but it's way out of my price range... anyone else trying to follow her advice? I'd love to connect with those who are! I'm a part of her fb groupies group, but SO many people are in there and I feel like I could post every day with questions/feelings.

Replies

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Come on, people! It's so so goooood!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I remember taking a look at it a year or a year and a half ago, and I liked some stuff but not others. I did a few podcasts then decided it wasn't for me. I'm all for how it was advocating to make sustainable changes, those parts are great, but I disagree with the nutritional approach. I don't believe eating to hunger and listening to your body is something that works for everyone, and I dislike the lack of concrete data for me personally if I don't count calories. I don't like how things are labeled as healthy and unhealthy and a few other gripes, but the practical tips and mental strategies are alright.
  • breefoshee
    I think that the practical tips and mental is what I love about it. I have never considered myself an emotional eater... I thought you had to be crying with a tub of ice cream to be that way to be considered emotional. But I realized from listening to her and paying more attention that I eat to decompress alot. So after work from 4-6 is normally where I blow it. I haven't been able to stop counting calories, but I have been attempting to stop eating when full and wait until I'm hungry to eat.

My only thing with it is that I like fueling for workouts so that I'm not tired in the middle of them... I'm not sure that the hunger scale works in those cases.
  • breefoshee
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out! I can definitely see holes in some areas but maybe I missed the posts about healthy food? Shes always talking about eating what you want, just planning for it. That's what I liked about it was that she doesn't care what you do (keto, ww, whatever) as long as you put it on your plan for the day. I haven't really heard her talk much about this or that being "healthy" as much as she's been a stickler for making a plan for the day.

In fact, in one of the group posts, I told them that I was struggling with eating extra candy than what I planned everyday and her co-host, Cathy, encouraged me to put the extra candy on the plan and when I'm ready to take it off, replace it or whatever.

I like it because it's about starting where you are and slowly making changes... which feels a lot less restrictive than what I've done in the past and more sustainable in the long run.
  • amusedmonkey
    Oh that was not a recommendation, that was a term I made up. It means eating to hunger but within context, which allows for flexibility.
  • breefoshee
    Oh.. ha. You should coin that and make a podcast out of it lol.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    I love these podcasts. It works for me on so many levels. I can eat my definition of healthy- I already plan ahead but this makes it a formal process. I like to eat big meals and feel full- so I am more conscientious of hunger and fullness. I love the cut the BS and just do it
  • qnslv86
    qnslv86 Posts: 1 Member
    I like her podcast, too! I'm not sure about some stuff, like not tracking what you're eating, but her whole thing about doing only things you can do for the rest of your life really hit me. Add me as a friend if you want, always looking for support. :)
  • breefoshee
    I love these podcasts. It works for me on so many levels. I can eat my definition of healthy- I already plan ahead but this makes it a formal process. I like to eat big meals and feel full- so I am more conscientious of hunger and fullness. I love the cut the BS and just do it

Right? I think it's just so doable. Already, just paying more attention to my actions and thinking them through have help me to prepare for the times that I typically overeat. When I first get home to decompress, I want to chill out and eat. And if I eat something that lingers on my mouth (like spices or something) then I am tempted to eat sweets until the taste gone. I never noticed that I did those things!
  • breefoshee
    qnslv86 wrote: »
    I like her podcast, too! I'm not sure about some stuff, like not tracking what you're eating, but her whole thing about doing only things you can do for the rest of your life really hit me. Add me as a friend if you want, always looking for support. :)

I know... I do want to get to a place where I don't have to track. I've been paying attention to when I'm actually hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied. Some days I do it reallly welll and it's encouraging... other days... not so much.

Honestly though, even when I count calories, I push the limits sometimes saying "This is only 90 calories... I can go a little over and it wont matter" or "but I didn't finish my coffee, so I can have a few more calories." Adding!
  • Iverson222
    Iverson222 Posts: 249 Member
    I'm listening to her podcast too and love it! I don't necessarily take her advice on the nutritional side of things . . . I'm going to keep counting calories. That worked for me in the past and it's going to work for me in the future. What I do appreciate is the mental side of things! I'm trying to change my way of thinking. Everytime I get the idea into my head that i'm just going to have a "little" bit of something or a small "treat" her voice pops up in my head "Are you going to die if you don't eat this?" Nope!
  • kla1026
    kla1026 Posts: 1 Member
    I have stumbled upon her podcast and am considering joining the tribe. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.
  • amusedmonkey
    If you enjoy this podcast you may also enjoy "half size me". I personally like it better, so I thought someone else may enjoy it.
  • christyperel
    christyperel Posts: 2 Member
    I just found her podcast. What is the cost for tribe membership?
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    I think it's one of the healthiest podcasts about losing weight. Some things she said resonated strongly with my experience, especially the part about causes for weight regain. (Which has happened to me)
    I think the value of her podcast is not in the nutrition part since I don't think she is a nutritionist, but in the sustainable weight loss mentality.
    To sum down what she is "bitching and preaching" about (as I understood):
    - be realistic
    - every day do the effort to do a bit better (whatever that means to you)
    - meet yourself where you are at now - IMO very important point of accepting your current state, adjusting your ambitions to it and building up from there
    - practice self-care and positive self-talk, don't expect it to come with weight loss - if you skip this, chances are you'll gain the weight back because weight loss is not confidence builder per se. Even more, while we are losing weight we are more focused on our body which makes us prone to many new insecurities.
    - you're smart enough to find what works for you nutritionally
    - cut any self-shaming at its roots - if you made a mistake, move on, try to do better and leave it behind

The part about counting calories or relying on hunger I don't find very important, I can see value in each approach.
    I think counting calories could give us a good inside about the nutritional value of food. Also, years of overeating messed up hunger clues for many of us, so sometimes it's helpful to reset those clues with calorie counting.
    That being said, last time I've lost most of my extra weight I did without calory counting, eating a bit after I felt hunger.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    If you enjoy this podcast you may also enjoy "half size me". I personally like it better, so I thought someone else may enjoy it.

I like Half Size Me better, too. Although the early podcasts are a bit woo-ey.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I listened to her first 20 podcasts, but it’s not for me. I found it to be pretty repitious. I am not the type of person who can eat until full. It takes my brain a while to realize that I am full. Calorie counting works better for me. I do agree with the meal prepping part of it though, not enough to pay the amount she charges for joining her tribe. I think I’ll take a look at Half Size Me. I found one that sounds good this morning, Weight Loss for Foodies, that I’m going to check out too.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I'm planning to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • AndromedaB
    AndromedaB Posts: 3 Member
    My favorite podcast is Weight Loss for Foodies with Shari Broder. I like her approach best. I've lost almost 50 pounds doing it without dieting, and I'm post-menopause! You should check it out!