Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited January 2019
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Today's task is to clean out the kitchen junk drawer. Since I did this a couple months ago, I'm gonna pull everything out, wipe it down, and the scrub the drawer front. Then I'm sure I'll be motivated to get after something else. 😆

Hmmmmm..."scrubbed the drawers" ya say. I LOVE your attitude and progress Snoo, so diligent&inspiring you're CHOOSING to be more and more each day. You've inspired me to scrub down the shelves (not merely dust) in my laundry room and just "attack" the laundry room a with a bit more diligence (like cleaning/mopping behind the washer and dryer and more). Thanks friend!

I haven't scrubbed the cupboard doors or drawer fronts in almost 15 years. Its way beyond time to. As I declutter one, I'm scrubbing it! Thanks for the encouragement, good luck with your laundry room!

See, this is ONLY one reason I admire you so. You are so REAL, and that gives me and others that read your posts so much HOPE and, ummmmm, encouragement. For you to openly admit that you haven't scrubbed your cabinets in 15 years us let us all reading this thread KNOW we're so NOT alone and that in itself makes for inspiration, relief of sorts and induces the COURAGE to tackle stuff we've all been neglecting and/or missing for way too long of a time. YAY YOU my friend. Operation clean that laundry room up "mo better"=mission accomplished and it looks so much better and makes me feel utter delight to see it looking terrific...not perfect, but wayyyy more CUTER/better=BOOM! o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I havent had time to read this thread this weekend, but I love it so. I will catch up soon.
    I just watched an episode on Netflix. New show by Marie Kondo of the organizing technique of “Does this spark joy?” If you have netflix, you will enjoy it. I have to go to bed now but wish I watched this on Friday when I had all weekend to organize. LOL

My daughter who has been terrible at throwing things out her whole life just watched this series last week. She bought the book on iTunes and has started her purge. She has gone through her clothes and has gotten rid of 5 bags of clothes.

Let me tell you what a huge step this is for her. My daughter will be 30 in a couple of weeks. She was given a tshirt by my best friend when she was 3. The shirt was a bit too big so she was able to wear it for a couple of years. Guys, she still had this shirt! She got rid of it. Also about 20 years ago a coworker of mine found out how much my daughter loved Garth Brooks and gave her a concert tshirt of his. This shirt was an adult men’s large, but my 10 year old daughter wore it faithfully. It faded and had rips, but she wouldn’t dispose of it. She texted me night before last to tell me it’s gone!

I am going to watch this show, and probably download the book so that I can encourage her. I have promised to help her in anyway I can. She is moving onto her sons clothes today, he is 7 so she will help him decide what Brings him joy.

I am so incredibly proud of her.

I’m so happy for you and her. That is awesome. And I am sure she feels emotionally lighter. Today I got rid of about 100 or more books (donated) and filled three big bags of junk from our loft in my house where the family just dumps things they don’t want in their bedrooms. I also got rid of a bunch of scrapbook papers ( I will take to school and give to my students to use as crafts). I have these huge pads of decorative paper that someone bought me once that I just don’t like the colors on them.

I think Marie Kondo will inspire a million people to purge and donate with her simple philosophy “Does this spark joy?” I also went to TJMaxx today with my daughter. I bought socks, a workout shirt and workout tights. I walked all around the store but nothing sparked joy. And I certainly don’t want to buy more stuff for the house. I think we will all save a lot of money by not buying junk on a whim.

Girlllll...BOOM! You first class winner and ALL time champion. What you've accomplished today (including your shopping trip) is nothing less than awesome. YAY YOU and {{{Hugs and the highest of fives}}}}
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    edited January 2019
    Today's task is to clean out the kitchen junk drawer. Since I did this a couple months ago, I'm gonna pull everything out, wipe it down, and the scrub the drawer front. Then I'm sure I'll be motivated to get after something else. 😆

Hmmmmm..."scrubbed the drawers" ya say. I LOVE your attitude and progress Snoo, so diligent&inspiring you're CHOOSING to be more and more each day. You've inspired me to scrub down the shelves (not merely dust) in my laundry room and just "attack" the laundry room a with a bit more diligence (like cleaning/mopping behind the washer and dryer and more). Thanks friend!

I haven't scrubbed the cupboard doors or drawer fronts in almost 15 years. Its way beyond time to. As I declutter one, I'm scrubbing it! Thanks for the encouragement, good luck with your laundry room!

See, this is ONLY one reason I admire you so. You are so REAL, and that gives me and others that read your posts so much HOPE and, ummmmm, encouragement. For you to openly admit that you haven't scrubbed your cabinets in 15 years us let us all reading this thread KNOW we're so NOT alone and that in itself makes for inspiration, relief of sorts and induces the COURAGE to tackle stuff we've all been neglecting and/or missing for way too long of a time. YAY YOU my friend. Operation clean that laundry room up "mo better"=mission accomplished and it looks so much better and makes me feel utter delight to see it looking terrific...not perfect, but wayyyy more CUTER/better=BOOM! o:)<3o:)

Well now I'm blushing! 😆 Thank you my friend.
    The reality is that I've always been bad about housework. If I can't say( type) it out loud, I will continue to delude myself. I'm so much happier now that I'm actually making progress!
    Also, congratulations on your laundry room! Better is perfect, most times!
  • snoo61
    lmharger wrote: »
    I had to let go of the cloths that were too small (from before the birth of my youngest child who is three) to even start my weight loss journey.

I moved so many cloths a year ago when we moved into our new house. My husband would ask what was in a box or suitcase, and I would respond: “cloths that don’t fit”. Plus the cloths I didn’t even take off the hangers would barely fit in the spare room closet.

Every time I looked at them,I kept thinking I was going to wear them again — I was gonna be that size again. And it is my goal to be that size again, but not wearing those cloths. One night I realized that every time I looked at them, they made me feel like a failure instead of motivated like I thought they should.

By the end of the week I had went through almost everything. I started by purging anything that was too small with the exception of a few pieces that were sentimental. Anything that was just on the cusp of fitting into (or growing out of as the case actually was at that time) I saved at first. But then I even purged those by asking myself: Would I buy this same piece if I saw it in the store today? What I kept was mostly dress slacks and tops and two dresses.

Three boxes of winter cloths were consigned. I have two boxes of summer cloths to consign. I donated four boxes. And I made approximately $120 on my consignment items.

Congratulations! Good for you, realizing that when you get back to that size, you'll want new and stylish clothes.
    You will have earned them!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    lmharger wrote: »
    I had to let go of the cloths that were too small (from before the birth of my youngest child who is three) to even start my weight loss journey.

I moved so many cloths a year ago when we moved into our new house. My husband would ask what was in a box or suitcase, and I would respond: “cloths that don’t fit”. Plus the cloths I didn’t even take off the hangers would barely fit in the spare room closet.

Every time I looked at them,I kept thinking I was going to wear them again — I was gonna be that size again. And it is my goal to be that size again, but not wearing those cloths. One night I realized that every time I looked at them, they made me feel like a failure instead of motivated like I thought they should.

By the end of the week I had went through almost everything. I started by purging anything that was too small with the exception of a few pieces that were sentimental. Anything that was just on the cusp of fitting into (or growing out of as the case actually was at that time) I saved at first. But then I even purged those by asking myself: Would I buy this same piece if I saw it in the store today? What I kept was mostly dress slacks and tops and two dresses.

Three boxes of winter cloths were consigned. I have two boxes of summer cloths to consign. I donated four boxes. And I made approximately $120 on my consignment items.

Thank you so much for contributing to this thread...You ROCK, period. <3o:)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

Well now I'm blushing! 😆 Thank you my friend.
    The reality is that I've always been bad about housework. If I can't say( type) it out loud, I will continue to delude myself. I'm so much happier now that I'm actually making progress!
    Also, congratulations on your laundry room! Better is perfect, most times!

My pleasure sistergirl! Thanks for giving me a new saying/new way of thinking too:
    Better is perfect, most times! <3o:)<3
  • snoo61
    Today's task was to declutter the food storage dishes, I threw some things out. There's a cute little Tupperware container that was my mom's, I've never used it. I put it in the dishwasher, so I have time to talk myself into giving it up.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    I’ve started getting rid of things that don’t bring me joy any more. As as result I have clothes I like wearing vs clothes just hanging in my closet year after year. More to come. Stay tuned.
  • snoo61
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    I’ve started getting rid of things that don’t bring me joy any more. As as result I have clothes I like wearing vs clothes just hanging in my closet year after year. More to come. Stay tuned.

Isn't it gratifying? I keep a garbage bag in my laundry basket now. When I fold something I don't want, or doesn't fit, I put it in the bag for donation.
    Congratulations!
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    This thread is making me want to do something with the disaster in my house. I have sold on ebay for 20 years, so always have "ebay stuff" sitting around on every flat surface. We have 3 long-haired housecats, who are our children, but do they shed.... My husband and I own the tavern in our small town. I work a minimum of 13 hours a day. On top of all these factors, my husband and I are both "collectors". I won't use the word "hoarders", as I don't think we are quite there. Yet. So, needless to say, my house is a freaking mess. I don't even know where to start. When I do try to start, I get overwhelmed and give up or get a bad case of the "squirrels" and don't accomplish anything. Any suggestions where or what to start with so my head doesn't just blow up????
  • snoo61
    edited January 2019
    This thread is making me want to do something with the disaster in my house. I have sold on ebay for 20 years, so always have "ebay stuff" sitting around on every flat surface. We have 3 long-haired housecats, who are our children, but do they shed.... My husband and I own the tavern in our small town. I work a minimum of 13 hours a day. On top of all these factors, my husband and I are both "collectors". I won't use the word "hoarders", as I don't think we are quite there. Yet. So, needless to say, my house is a freaking mess. I don't even know where to start. When I do try to start, I get overwhelmed and give up or get a bad case of the "squirrels" and don't accomplish anything. Any suggestions where or what to start with so my head doesn't just blow up????

I started with 1 drawer. I'm nowhere near finished, but I do at least 15 minutes a day. I'm following a declutter calendar from Home Solutions 101. It gives a task a day that takes no more than 15 minutes. Clothes are another good place to start.
    Have fun! :smiley:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Yes, I meant well. I could not know there was so much else going on, hun. Maybe you want to delete this answer if it's too private <3 I hope everything works out for you. You know, as someone who has to work hard on herself to not clutter this triggered something in me. My case is mild as I am able to control it, but there's a feeling of desperation if there's stuff accumulating and the urge to just run away and not think of it anymore.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    SusanMcMc wrote: »
    @laurenq1991 I think @yirana meant well, but it sounds like there is way more going on in this relationship than just hoarding. Fortunately, sounds like her living with you is a temporary situation. Until it is over, can you just shut her door and refuse to think about it unless it impacts you in the moment (like rotting food smells). Leave the future worrying (like how you suspect she'll leave behind mess/belongings when she moves out) out of your headspace for now. It doesn't really help YOU, right?

Also, given the complexity and toxicity of this, can you and your partner do couples therapy together until MIL moves? If he won't, you could just go yourself. You need a safe place to vent but also a strong supporter who can help you keep from ruminating yourself into an anxiety attack or PTSD incident. A few good sessions with a cognitive behavioral therapist may give you some new coping techniques to see you through the end of this horror show.

FWIW, given your experience here, I think it is totally reasonable to tell your partner that you refuse to live with your MIL again. It's really for the best for all three of you to set clear boundaries.

It was supposed to be a temporary emergency situation until she was no longer housebound and could cook and take public transportation/taxis and so on independently. She stopped being housebound and was able to do those other things over a year ago. I guess the two of them somehow assumed without consulting me that this should be a permanent situation when I said many times that it was temporary. Now she's acting all pissy at me that I want her out. I asked my husband if we can set a date that she has to be out by and now he's all silent and upset.

I'm not going to refuse to think about it. If she leaves a pile of her crap behind for us to deal with, it is not going to end well for her. I don't know what I will do but it won't be good for her. I told both of them so many times that she was not to leave a single item behind when she moved out or expect either of us to deal with cleaning up her hoarding *kitten*.

She's the one who needs counseling, not me.

Sure I can refuse until I'm blue in the face but if she forces us into an emergency situation again it's possible we could have no choice. In this situation I was never asked if I was ok with it by either her or the hospital. There was simply nowhere else for her to go. She could not live independently, was not covered by insurance for assisted living, and none of her other relatives live in our area and she could not move to another state to live with them since she needed to see her doctors nearby. If we had left her to her own devices we could have been held legally liable if anything happened to her (my husband didn't have POA at the time although he does now, but the hospital always acted like he did and asked him to make decisions for her not only when she was in a coma but also when she was conscious, violating HIPAA). Plus my husband would have felt terrible guilt (personally at this point I don't give much of a *kitten* whether she lives or dies due to her own poor life decisions but I don't want him to be sad). I had to rush around on very short notice to find an apartment that accommodated her disability and allowed the stupid bird (95% of apartments don't allow pets). I never got a word of thanks from her and in fact all she did was complain about how she wanted to go back to the hoarder house and accuse us of "elder abuse" because we "forced" her to live with us and wouldn't let her leave her crap all over the apartment. If she has nowhere else to go and is unable to live on her own he is not going to let her be in a bad situation.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019

{{{{{{{{ <3 HUGS Leslie <3 }}}}}}}}}}} First and foremost, THANK you for contributing to this thread! Girl...you are so NOT alone, none of us have totally arrived, but many of us have LEFT that place of mess/stress/ugh and enough is enough. For me personally, it's NEVER/NOT an okay, all done for good--NOPE, it's an everyday MAINTENANCE thing, again a lot like maintaining our new weight/size--it's a new LIFESTYLE, this LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK is--for real--a WONDERFUL new life style. Also, I so am NOT naturally organized nor loved/cared about everything looking clutter-free and neat and pretty...I AM NOW (Thank you Jesus), but that took TIME and a lot of it. I wish it were an "I got this or I'm done now, but nope...once we get to the place of it's all nice and neat, pretty and organize, we have to maintain that. As we do, we do get used to it and it's NOT AS HARD as when we first started. Most of us started right where you are--at least beginning to really "L@@K&quot; around us and admit that it's just too much "stuff" around us and is negatively affecting us inside (our mind/thoughts/heart). So mega YAY YOU for even thinking about changing and doing something about it. Girl...I REMEMBER that feeling of being so overwhelmed and not knowing what to do or where to start. Snoo gave a most excellent example of how to start. Here's some links that may help and encourage you:

How to Declutter Your Home When You Don’t Know Where to Begin
    http://www.thesimplyorganizedhome.com/howtodeclutter/

How to Clean Your House When You Feel Paralyzed by “The Mess”
    https://mommyonpurpose.com/how-to-clean-your-house-when-its-messy/

7 Strategies For Clearing Clutter When You Don't Know Where To Start
    https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/clearing-clutter.html

Leslie, very much like out weight blastification/getting down to size...we didn't get to the weight we are/were at overnight and it's going to also time TIME to LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK (living a simpler, (more) clutter-free home. It's going to take time, period. Also, hurry/fear/anxiety is our ENEMY in this struggle/battle, so when (not if, but WHEN) these d#mnable feeling/thoughts rise up in us, we MUST fight them and no longer embrace them and/or allow the dastardly and yuck "pity-party, poor me/woe is me" attitudes get even a foothold on us. Once we enter into that "poor-me" attitude and "feed it"...UGH, it's like fighting a losing battle. INSTEAD, put on a "ruthless" attitude towards the "stuff" and that ruthlessness will help you throw away, give away and get rid of a lot of stuff--the "poor me spirit" will paralyze you--for real!

One way to fight these self-destructive and yuck feelings (poor me, it's too much, etc.) disappear is by immediately MAKING y/ourselves do something, even if it's just a wee bit of something, like making the bed, cleaning the bathroom, sweeping the steps, doing some dusting and stuff like that. Also, putting on some JAMMING/uplifting LOUD music that you love will encourage you too. If you don't have access to some jamming music, you can always MAKE yourself whistle or hum something you love that brings you sheer joy and delight--something that reminds you of "good times" stuff like that.

Lastly, PLEASE KNOW YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I'm/we're cheering you on and have been where you are too!
    {{{{ Hugs again }}}} <3o:)<3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!