January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    A while ago our Running Club President approved me to do this, and today I did the Athletics Victoria nationally-accredited Run Leader Level 1 Coach course.

I'm now a coach!!

I'm not yet qualified to create training plans for people (that's the other levels 2 or 3) but I can now lead club training sessions.

Wooo hooo that's awesome! Congratulations!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    @Orphia yay that's awesome!!!!
    @Avidkeo did you do it yet? From what I've heard you should take it really easy as running on sand is pretty tough. The guy who did my gait analysis and fitted me for shoes last summer (a totally-crazy ultra runner) said if I ever did want to correct my very slight but not enough to need anything special shoe-wise for prontaion issues then I should train on the beach but very very cautiously. Or have special custom insoles made for me. Second option sounds far more painful to the pocket but from the way he talked about beach-running made me really not want to do that, lol.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@ddmom0811 I'm flying to Portland for my big race in April. I've been there twice before visiting my sister, but not since I've started running. They aren't kidding when they say, "Keep Portland Weird".

You have a sister there too! LOL, yes true. It is a little different.

I also have a sister in Portland. It’s a great place to visit! The last time we were there I was too much a nervous running newbie to run with my BIL but am looking forward to timing my next visit with a race.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I did it!! Five full miles in the bag! Yipee! The first 3/4 mile felt like torture; I was afraid that I was going to suffer through the entire thing. But, after that, all of a sudden I felt...light and relaxed. It was amazing! The skies were threatening rain, so I wore a rain coat, which left me feeling like I was wearing one of those 90s-style trash bag get-ups, but I didn't even mind. Can't wait to step on the scale in a minute and see how much water weight I lost, though, because I was drenched with sweat by the end, despite the upper 40s temperatures. My average pace was 11:29, with splits of 12:18, 11:42, 11:22, 11:25, and 10:43. For once, I was actually reasonably consistent, if you ignore the first iffy mile and the last mile, when I got a bit excited by how good I was feeling. Lol. I'm tentatively planning a 5k on February 9th, and I'm starting to think that a sub-11 minute/mile pace might be possible for that one now. We'll see.

21.0/45.0 miles for January so far

Wooo hoo well done! It's such a great feeling.