Swapping fitbit for HRM during certain excercises

Options
I typically wear my Fitbit during the day but swap it out for my HRM when I do classes (Bodypump and Combat or even a longer run) because the HRM on the FB is less than stellar for accuracy. I have been manually entering the calories burned per my HRM into MFP after the workout.
I still get 10k-15k of steps on top of the workout and earn 500-700 exercise calories back which seems like a lot.

My question is - is this the best way to get an accurate fitness calorie count? Or am I somehow double counting even though I don't wear the FB during classes. Is there anyone else who does it this way or is there a better way I should be doing it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A HRM won't get you an accurate burn for body pump and stuff like that
  • tashanic2
    tashanic2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A HRM won't get you an accurate burn for body pump and stuff like that

Agreed. I do estimate that on the low end based on weight/time but it does do well with Combat and running.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to remove the Fitbit. Just as long as you enter the start and end time of your exercise, MFP and Fitbit will work together so that your calories don't double-dip.

Are you saying that your Fitbit is inaccurate because you've actually noticed that the readings are wrong, or because you read somewhere that it's not a good tool for that purpose? If your personal readings were wrong, have you tried wearing the Fitbit further up your wrist, and a little tighter than for all-day wear? I find that mine gives very reasonable readings.

If you have entered your activity level as something other than Active, or Very Active, you will get a large number of calories back just for your daily activity. That is as designed. How long are your workouts, to burn 500-700 calories? Not knowing your weight, I can't make a very good guess, but that sounds like an hour at a fairly high intensity?

How long have you been doing it? What have your results been? If it's not broken, there's no reason to fix it. If you don't know if it's even working, why not give it a month and see what the results are?

Be advised, heart rate is correlated with but not a direct measurement of calories burned. It is only a useful metric for steady-state exercise, not sprints or intervals. Heart rate is also affected by a number of other variables, like dehydration or overhydration, heat, intensity of emotion... Being scared makes your heart beat faster, but it doesn't burn a lot of calories.
  • tashanic2
    tashanic2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to remove the Fitbit. Just as long as you enter the start and end time of your exercise, MFP and Fitbit will work together so that your calories don't double-dip.

Are you saying that your Fitbit is inaccurate because you've actually noticed that the readings are wrong, or because you read somewhere that it's not a good tool for that purpose? If your personal readings were wrong, have you tried wearing the Fitbit further up your wrist, and a little tighter than for all-day wear? I find that mine gives very reasonable readings.

If you have entered your activity level as something other than Active, or Very Active, you will get a large number of calories back just for your daily activity. That is as designed. How long are your workouts, to burn 500-700 calories? Not knowing your weight, I can't make a very good guess, but that sounds like an hour at a fairly high intensity?

How long have you been doing it? What have your results been? If it's not broken, there's no reason to fix it. If you don't know if it's even working, why not give it a month and see what the results are?

Be advised, heart rate is correlated with but not a direct measurement of calories burned. It is only a useful metric for steady-state exercise, not sprints or intervals. Heart rate is also affected by a number of other variables, like dehydration or overhydration, heat, intensity of emotion... Being scared makes your heart beat faster, but it doesn't burn a lot of calories.

I have found that the FB is drastically off for measuring HR. Sometimes it is crazy high when I am resting and other times it shows a resting HR when the HRM is showing high.

I am listed as Slightly Active in MFP because I would rather start low and earn calories rather than start high and realize I didn't do enough activity that day which could explain, as you said, why it shows earning so much. All of my workouts are roughly an hour and I earn ~300 calories for those with FB adding an extra ~300 calories for the approximately 10k additional steps per day.

I have had the FB for about 5 months but just recently, since the beginning of January, been tracking my actual food intake which isn't enough time to really know if there is a disconnect in exercise tracking but I am trying to stay ahead of the game. Having only 1200 calories allotted for the day makes me rely on exercise calories quite a bit since, for me, 1200 isn't much.

Basically, I really just want to know what is the best reliable indicator of actual fitness calories burned, I don't want to overeat. I will do what you have mentioned and try wearing it and entering the start/end time of exercise this coming week and see how extra calories burn compare to last week of swapping it out with HRM.

Thank you for your reply!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Your most reliable indicator is going to end up being the result you get over time. If you maintain records of how many calories you consume, and how many calories you think you've burned, you'll be able to compare those notes and adjust your calorie goal as needed. For running or walking, you can manually enter calories pretty accurately with this calculator: https://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs but I wouldn't even be able to guess how much your classes burn.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? What is your weekly loss goal? Unless you have 50 lbs or more to lose, 1200 is probably too aggressive.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How the Fitbit linking works is that Fitbit sends over the total number of calories it thinks you burned in a day. Mfp then subtracts out whatever calories it thinks you burned in a day (which is whatever goes with your activity setting plus any workouts you’ve manually entered on mfp). The difference is your calorie adjustment.

In theory, workouts you manually enter on mfp are supposed to overwrite the Fitbit info for that time period.

So theoretically, you’re not double counting by doing what you’re doing. The workout you enter on mfp is supposed to overwrite what’s in Fitbit for that same time. And mfp will also have them as part of what you burned so they will be subtracted out of what makes up the adjustment.

I’m not sure if you think the fitbit is reading high or low for the workout, but keep in mind that it’s giving you a total calories burned from the moment you hit start to the moment you hit stop-which includes the calories you would have burned had you been sitting on the couch instead of working out. So Fitbit calories reported for a workout tend to be higher than some other tools because Fitbit is intended to be worn 24/7 and the workout info just designates what happened in that time period (not the amount “extra” you burned by exercising).

10k steps a day is considered pretty active (although for your mfp setting it matters how many of those are from non-exercise). So if you’re set to lightly active, I would assume you’ll see larger adjustments pretty regularly. And whether you raise your activity level setting on mfp to get higher base calories and smaller adjustments - or leave it as and have lower base calories and higher adjustments, you’re going to end up at the same number.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Also-FWIW, wrist HRM don’t do very well accurately reading heart beats/minute when there’s a lot of wrist flexion, significant and abrupt changes in heart rate (and many other things).

What’s good news about that is that using HR to guess calories burned is really only semi-valid for steady-State cardio (think walking or running a steady pace).

For your class, Hr isn’t going to help with calories burned. You’re not going to get an “accurate” number for that unless you do the class in a lab with a bunch of lab requirement. The best advice is to use what is reasonable for you (meaning whatever is consistent and makes the most sense for your lifestyle and training goals) and follow it for 4-6 weeks and adjust from there.

I have used a number of different Fitbits for several years now and they have all been consistent (meaning the same types of workouts/activities/days produce roughly the same calorie burn estimates). Those numbers happen to agree with my actual results-but if they didn’t, it would be easy to adjust.