Pizza Talk - Spin it on.

How do you manage your Pizza? I have gone well over two months without Pizza. I'd like to have some (keep in mind I am still losing weight and will be doing so for several more months this year). What discoveries did you find with Pizza. I love Chicago style. I had a chance to visit Mystic earlier this year, and tried their Pizza - yum. That being said - calories matter now. How do you manage your Pizza? Talk away.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Veggie pizza is my favorite and is easier to work into my diet than something with meat toppings. I don’t have pizza often but it just takes a bit of pre-planning on my part. I always have extra calories on my run days which makes them perfect for have a couple of slices of my favorite pizza.

Homemade pizza is my favorite option because it’s the easiest to make fit into my calories plus it’s a fun, easy dinner. I have a couple local pizza joints that are great but they don’t provide any nutritional info so it’s a total guessing game for calories if I choose to go out.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Just make the pizza fit into your calorie allotment. If it's hard to fit in the day, try to make it fit the week. Eat a tad less in the days before or the days after. Or walk a little bit more or something. Just 50 calories a day could earn you an extra slice. (Because just 1 slice is just sad IMO). One of my favorite ways to do it at home is using store bought Naan bread. I can control my toppings and cheese and usually come away with a 700(ish) calorie pizza that I can cut into 4 slices. If ordering out, thin crust pizzas are usually lower calorie. Pizzas with veggie toppings are a good way to lower the calories too. I personally prefer pizzas like spinach chicken, or supreme. I can get my veggies in, and also have a bit of meat for the protien.

Part of this process is learning how to incorporate the foods you love into your new lifestyle/ calorie goal. Best of Luck! :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I eat pizza at least once a week, sometimes more. I just get less toppings and limit it to two pieces and fit it in my daily calorie goal when I’m actively counting calories. I like thinner crust so that helps a bit.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I make homemade quick yeast pizza dough, so I can control what’s in it and know the calorie count. I add chopped garlic to the crust, which adds a lot of flavor. I no longer use a giant sack of cheese. It gets one cup of partly skim mozzarella, a squirt of Trader Joe’s tomato paste from the tube,and some of the fantastic Victoria brand pizza spice. (All their spice mixes are great.)Trader Joe’s sells the most delicious pepperoni, it’s a brand called Ciao, and the calorie count is very reasonable. I cook it all up on a giant Lodge cast iron pizza pan. Love that thing, and use it for all kinds of cooking. A slice and a simple salad come to 341calories, One slice 293 without the salad or quarter pizza 567, still tolerable.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Been at this since June. I don't plan on hitting goal until around this time next year. I have managed to fit pizza in 3 times since then. Once was when I had had a crazy well at the gym (3 days of basic to advanced krav, a heavy bag class, a boxing class, and an advanced krav class with plenty of steps on my off days) and I hadn't eaten back a significant portion of my exercise calories. The second was the day after my belt test. Close to seven hours of intense fighting with no time to really eat during the test. I didn't have energy to eat back the calories that night so I had pizza the next day. The third time I just really wanted pizza so I took the hit and still ended up with a deficit that week.

I have struggled with binge eating in the past. I used to eat a medium or large pizza in my own. Frequently I would also have other food as well. This is the last vestige of that. I have a hard time having just one or two pieces. Now I'm able to limit myself in the sense that I only really want to have pizza every two or three months. I still eat a small pizza with onions but that is all I have and I for it in my calories. I only have it when I huge deficit. If I don't have a huge deficit, I make sure I end up at maintenance or below for the week. It's like anything else. If I want it, I have it, and I make it fit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited January 2019
    I used to split pizza with my OH before realizing this was silly, as he is a foot taller than me. Now I have one less piece and he has one more. I also eat it with a big salad.

I plan to make Spinach-Ricotta Calzones from scratch tomorrow and serve with chicken.

sfs_ricotta_spinach_calzones-9.jpg?w=558
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and ideas so far!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Two pieces of pizza and a salad. Pieces that fit on a normal plate.
    Thin crust pizza.
    Lower calorie toppings like chicken or vegetables.
    Homemade pizza.
    Saving calories for it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I use sourdough starter to make a batch of pizza dough every 2 weeks. The size of batch I make produces 5 of 140 gram dough balls and one of usually a little bit more. I occasionally vary the meat and cheese toppings. Today the pizza had 125 grams of fungal and vegetable toppings, 3 meatballs, 0.8 oz feta and 0.8 oz mozzarella. The calories worked out to 522, with 24 fat, 26 protein, and 7 fiber.
  • zwerchfell
    zwerchfell Posts: 5 Member
    We make Lavash pizza all the time. Just with tomato paste, fresh tomatoes, basil and cheese. You can add more toppings to your liking. It’s not deep dish but very satisfying and fits easy into daily calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    IsETHome wrote: »
    How do you manage your Pizza? I have gone well over two months without Pizza. I'd like to have some (keep in mind I am still losing weight and will be doing so for several more months this year). What discoveries did you find with Pizza. I love Chicago style. I had a chance to visit Mystic earlier this year, and tried their Pizza - yum. That being said - calories matter now. How do you manage your Pizza? Talk away.

I prefer to eat my pizza rather than manage it.

I do a lot of exercise one weekend day ... I eat a pizza. :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    We prefer thin crust with veggies, lots of them, no meat, less amount of cheese. Very manageable, calorie wise. We have pizza often.
  • BailTuck
    BailTuck Posts: 25 Member
    Have you tried a flour tortilla as a crust and then use your toppings for a homemade pizza when you get a craving?
    Pretty easy to assemble and then just put under broiler?
  • IsETHome
    Machka9 wrote: »
    IsETHome wrote: »

I prefer to eat my pizza rather than manage it.

I do a lot of exercise one weekend day ... I eat a pizza. :)

I guess at this point with measuring, tracking for the last 60 days it has become more food management first, before the eating of it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I have one simple principle for everything I eat, including pizza. I always ask myself if something is worth it today. That means looking at it from all angles: how much I expect to enjoy it, how many calories it has, how having it will affect other foods in my day, how hungry I am that day, how willing I am to work on fitting it in...etc.

Pizza isn't a problem food for me because my favorite pizza is simple thin crust margarita. 3 slices is more than enough to satisfy me mentally, and a big side salad is more than enough to satisfy me physically. The whole meal isn't too much higher than my usual biggest meal of the day, so it's very manageable for me and I could have it daily if I wanted to.

I understand not everyone is satisfied by 3 slices or likes my choice of pizza, so I'll make parallel for other another food I can't just have daily without extra work. Moussaka is one of my favorite foods on the planet, but because the way I like it and the quantities I like of it are out of my usual range, I have to have a plan to fit it in. If I decide to have it, I have to plan my other meals to be extra light and/or exercise extra to earn more calories. Alternatively, I may save up and bank a few calories a day for several days until I have enough to fit it in comfortably.

Most days I'm too lazy and I decide it isn't worth doing all that extra work so I don't have it, not because I can't have it or it's not a "diet food" or whatever, but because other foods win on the "worth it" scale. Sometimes it feels worth it so I put in the work and have it. Occasionally, I'll give myself a day where I can eat up to maintenance calories and it makes this whole thing easier because I can fit in more food. Again, that if I decide slowing my progress by one day is "worth it", and many times it is and I have zero regrets about it.
  • IsETHome
    I have one simple principle for everything I eat, including pizza. I always ask myself if something is worth it today. That means looking at it from all angles: how much I expect to enjoy it, how many calories it has, how having it will affect other foods in my day, how hungry I am that day, how willing I am to work on fitting it in...etc.

Pizza isn't a problem food for me because my favorite pizza is simple thin crust margarita. 3 slices is more than enough to satisfy me mentally, and a big side salad is more than enough to satisfy me physically. The whole meal isn't too much higher than my usual biggest meal of the day, so it's very manageable for me and I could have it daily if I wanted to.

I understand not everyone is satisfied by 3 slices or likes my choice of pizza, so I'll make parallel for other another food I can't just have daily without extra work. Moussaka is one of my favorite foods on the planet, but because the way I like it and the quantities I like of it are out of my usual range, I have to have a plan to fit it in. If I decide to have it, I have to plan my other meals to be extra light and/or exercise extra to earn more calories. Alternatively, I may save up and bank a few calories a day for several days until I have enough to fit it in comfortably.

Most days I'm too lazy and I decide it isn't worth doing all that extra work so I don't have it, not because I can't have it or it's not a "diet food" or whatever, but because other foods win on the "worth it" scale. Sometimes it feels worth it so I put in the work and have it. Occasionally, I'll give myself a day where I can eat up to maintenance calories and it makes this whole thing easier because I can fit in more food. Again, that if I decide slowing my progress by one day is "worth it", and many times it is and I have zero regrets about it.

My bet is that when I hit 20 lbs lost, I’m at 16 since 11 nov I’ll have 1/4 to 1/2 a Chicago Style pizza, eat less the day before and do a big work out the day of. ;).