Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Replies

• msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    This morning I still wasn’t feeling quite 100%, but I still did my run. As with Tuesday’s run, it was a bit of a recovery run. I didn’t push too hard, but I did over 4 miles. Even though I was on the treadmill for over 60 minutes, I only registered 49 minutes of exercise on my watch. However, I did nearly close my move ring at 400 calories. This morning my workout consisted of intervals of 2 minutes running/jogging, and 3 minutes walking. My heart rate chart for the workout looks so pretty.

elxczgb2jch2.jpg

@Smilely3, are you still eating just two meals a day? If so that could be why you are not losing. Have you heard the saying you have to eat to lose. Well, this is true. You need to keep your metabolism revved up by eating up to 6 small meals a day. It doesn’t have to be 6 meals, but at minimum 3 meals and a snack. You should be eating every 3-4 hours. When you go long periods without eating your body goes into hibernation mode. It thinks there might be a famine and it starts storing extra calories just in case you don’t eat for a long time.

I think cutting out processed foods and sugar are a good idea for anyone, but the question is could you do this for the rest of your life. I know I can’t so although it would probably be good for me, I am not totally eliminating sugar, because I know at some point I am going to crave it and then end up going off the deep end with too much. So I am trying to limit my sweet treats to a couple times a week right now, eventually to just a couple times a month.

Also you should evaluate your workout program. Have you been doing the same program 6 days a week for the last few months, or years? If so you will probably want to change it up, Either change it completely or increase the intensity. The more fit we get the less calories we will burn doing the exact same workout. Everyone should change their exercise routine at least ever 12 weeks or so, if not more often. This will always keep the body guessing and won't give it time to adapt.

Give these ideas some thought and let us know if you have tried these before or if this is a new concept for you.

@mynacha73, I have the same problem with chlorine, I think I am allergic to it in some way. You should check your local area to see if anyone has a saltwater pool. I never knew these even existed before my friend had one installed in her yard.

@BackInSoFL, thanks. I also use to take EmergenC, but have just been taking the Vitamin C Tablets lately. I took two more this morning, and will probably take another 2000 mg when I go to bed.

@Fitness327wk, Isn’t it amazing what a small change of not drinking wine will do for your energy. That is great that you have had more energy for your workouts.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    We are having a wonderful time in Florida but it has gotten colder here than I expected!

We are still doing the Naurally Slim program and I’m really pleased with the results so far. Dropping pounds is slow but I think I will be able to keep them off.

One thing that resonated with me was learning that my feet can’t outrun my mouth. This means that I can do all the exercise I want but if I don’t decrease my intake of calories, I won’t lose weight.

By eating slower (10-5-10 rule), one thing at a time, portion control, and drinking more water, I’m eating less and feeling full.

It’s a slow process but I didn’t gain this weight overnight so I can’t expect to lose it overnight.
  • msarobix
    loonyhiker wrote: »

One thing that resonated with me was learning that my feet can’t outrun my mouth. This means that I can do all the exercise I want but if I don’t decrease my intake of calories, I won’t lose weight.

This is so true. They say losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, or some ratio like that. I know I should probably at least log what I am eating even if I am not specifically counting calories. I know I am not getting enough protein, or fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.
  • msarobix
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn’t post yesterday. I ended up going to dinner with an old colleague and was out past 10 pm. I almost sat down at the computer at that point, but then decided against it. I hope you will forgive me.

Yesterday, I did another relaxed run even though it was supposed to be a walk day. I was trying out a new treadmill group running app (Zwift) and I wanted to at least do a bit of a jog. It felt really good, and even though I was jogging for most of the 2.65 mile workout, my average heart rate was only 127. Which is a good sign that my body is re-adapting to running again. When I first started running in December my heart rate would skyrocket because I had been doing little if any exercise for the past year or more. So I am really happy to see that it is stabilizing.

I closed all my rings yesterday, but with the short workout and an evening of sitting and chatting with a friend, I didn’t hit 10,000. I don’t specifically have a goal to hit 10,000 steps, and usually when I do a walking or running workout I get close to 10,000 before the workout is even over, but yesterday was a shorter than normal workout and then I didn’t do as much walking afterwards. I came in at 9,400 steps. still not too bad. I haven’t looked yet, but I would think that my overall steps for the week will average out to over 10,000.

Have a great day everyone. I am off to do a group run on Zwift again today . The run is scheduled for 10:10 am and so far there are 77 people signed up. So I am really looking forward to checking it out. It is a 6.2 mile event, and I know I won’t run the entire thing, but hopefully I will be able to finish. However, it might take me 2 hours. We will see how it goes.
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Good job! I am not a runner, too much weight on the knees. Does Zwift control the treadmill incline & speed? Is Zwift on your watch?
  • msarobix
    @BackInSoFL No, Zwift doesn't control the treadmill, but the speed is based on a sensor pod that you put on your shoe. I had the app on my iPad that I set on the treadmill console.
  • So today is my Birthday and although Sunday is usually an off day for me I decided to have a killer workout to kick off this new cycle around the sun! Killed it and managed a total of 1174 kal active energy. 💪🏻
    I also wanted to share something else because I’m not sure if maybe there is someone else like me who has experienced the same thing. I’ve been really good with my workout and diet for the past month and a half and noticed my weight didn’t only stay unchanged for a while but actually went up! Recently we invested in a scale that breaks up total mass into body fat, muscle mass and hydration %. Although I wouldn’t take it’s accuracy down to the decimal it’s certainly been very enlightening as to what my composition is made up of and although I’m heavier in mass than I used to be my fat % has been on the decline and muscle has gone up.
    Keep going no matter what the scale says! Your body is working things out and it is working! ⭐️
  • DanielitaS
    DanielitaS Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    This is super helpful. What is the name of your scale?
  • StacySunshine8
    StacySunshine8 Posts: 30 Member
    So today is my Birthday and although Sunday is usually an off day for me I decided to have a killer workout to kick off this new cycle around the sun! Killed it and managed a total of 1174 kal active energy. 💪🏻
    I also wanted to share something else because I’m not sure if maybe there is someone else like me who has experienced the same thing. I’ve been really good with my workout and diet for the past month and a half and noticed my weight didn’t only stay unchanged for a while but actually went up! Recently we invested in a scale that breaks up total mass into body fat, muscle mass and hydration %. Although I wouldn’t take it’s accuracy down to the decimal it’s certainly been very enlightening as to what my composition is made up of and although I’m heavier in mass than I used to be my fat % has been on the decline and muscle has gone up.
    Keep going no matter what the scale says! Your body is working things out and it is working! ⭐️

Happy Birthday!!! And good for you kicking off the year right!

I have heard that muscle weighs more than fat. I’d rather be toned then lose a lot of weight and be flabby. Good job on building muscle!!!
  • DanielitaS wrote: »
    This is super helpful. What is the name of your scale?

Ours is called a D-QUIP Smart scale but there were many others available as well. 👍🏻
  • So today is my Birthday and although Sunday is usually an off day for me I decided to have a killer workout to kick off this new cycle around the sun! Killed it and managed a total of 1174 kal active energy. 💪🏻

Happy Birthday!!! And good for you kicking off the year right!

I have heard that muscle weighs more than fat. I’d rather be toned then lose a lot of weight and be flabby. Good job on building muscle!!!

Thank you Stacey, and yes I couldn’t agree more!! I’d choose Fit over skinny any day!
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    So today is my Birthday ⭐️

Happy Birthday to you! You're inspiring,I would take a cheat day :smile:

• lizshines
    lizshines Posts: 5 Member
    @fstopsphotography Happy Birthday! Great way to start a new year 😁
  • msarobix
    This morning I had insomnia. My husband came to bed at 12:30 am and I woke up then couldn’t go back to sleep. Even though I have been a bit tired all day I did workout. I did a running working again today, which makes it 4 days running in a row. I really need to take a break from running tomorrow, but I know I will want to run. I guess I will do an interval so at least it won’t all be running.

I hope everyone is sticking to their own goals.

@fstopsphotography - Awesome job on the workout today, and on your birthday no less. Happy birthday! I totally agree about keep going. Yes, especially when you start working out your body mass changes.

@fitness327wk, way to stick to your goals.
  • mynacha73
    mynacha73 Posts: 120 Member
    Hi Everyone! I can walk again! Only for short bits, but I am so grateful for each normal step. I celebrated by going to Trader Joe's - 2 days in a row. Then I continued the celebration by cleaning my house and cooking up a bunch of healthy meals for the week. I'm working to do all the things my doctor told me to do, and it's working so far. Every step is a big one.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    @fstopsphotography Happy Birthday!
    @mynacha73 glad to hear you're walking again

Last week was really intense.. We established a good schedule getting everyone to work and school, I made more healthy dinners at home but didn't lose any weight. I stayed late to finish up a huge job on Friday and we went out to celebrate. I got a lot done yesterday at home and went to aquafit in the morning and made a healthy dinner that night. Tonight my husband made dinner with a combo of leftover stew vegetables and baked chicken.

So hope we all have a great week.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    mynacha73 wrote: »

@KeriA I’d love to be in the water. Chlorine and I are not good friends, so I can’t use our local pools.

Thanks for the support everyone. Knowing we’ve got this group is a big help!

My sister has the same problem. She goes to a LA Fitness that has a salt water pool.
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    I’ve been really good with my workout and diet for the past month and a half and noticed my weight didn’t only stay unchanged for a while but actually went up!

I have noticed that I may lose a pound or two and then plateau for about a week. I feel like when my weight moves (either up or down a pound), that I've over that plateau and may lose another pound soon. I read somewhere that when you lose weight, your body reaches a point where it has to reset itself before it can lose more weight.