Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,514 Member
    December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 day out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 40 baby

Congratulations @normlnv. Awesome to see you doing so well.

thank you! i mostly post in the 'other' therad....the one we wont name ;)
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited January 2019
    NormInv wrote: »

thank you! i mostly post in the 'other' therad....the one we wont name ;)
    LOL
    Oh @NormInv .....you still have that incredible sense of humor! Love seeing you in here.
    We won't tell where else ya been hanging out.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Wow, day 12! I was craving a drink this afternoon but I worked out instead and cleaned some of the house. I kept to my calorie goals too and feel really good. Weekends are always the hardest for me.
  • MissMay
    Wow, day 12! I was craving a drink this afternoon but I worked out instead and cleaned some of the house. I kept to my calorie goals too and feel really good. Weekends are always the hardest for me.

Wow, day 12 for me to. Yay us!
    Great job keeping those cravings away.
  • gridirongrrl
    gridirongrrl Posts: 69 Member
    @BuffMom84 Sorry he’s not supportive! Have you talked to him about why you are currently abstaining?

Congrats everyone 12 days in! I’m AF 11/12 days so far which is right on track with my goals for not just the month but in general. Tomorrow is the day I’ll have a drink because we’re going out to eat but plan to limit to no more than 2.

Someone mentioned Apps above.. I just downloaded one from Leaf. It has a super simple interface and also gives you the calendar view color coded for AF days, days you drink but within what is healthy for you, and heavy drinking days. Liking it so far!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    Anyone else have a spouse/significant other who drinks and tries to guilt you into drinking with them? My husband just bought a 12 pack of beer after saying he was going to only buy a 6 pack for himself. Then he says, "how come you never want to drink with me anymore?" And I said I would have a few beers with him on Friday nights when I get home because I never come home too late but he's always playing his video games til all hours of the night. Now I know why I drank a lot of Saturdays last year. I'm going upstairs to do yoga!

Yes, me....I have a husband that drinks and has tried to sabotage my goals. It used to be a lot worse than it presently is because he would embarrass me in public if I did not order alcohol while out. Until the day he did that and I turned to him and asked if he wanted me to explain to everyone there why I was not having alcohol? (he has cirohsis of the liver and does not want me to let anyone know)
    Hope you enjoyed your yoga!

Oh, MissMay, I want to give you a big hug.

Next time he does that, tell people. For his own stupid good.

My brother-in-law died from liver failure in August due to his alcohol use. He and my sister had been separated for a while, but on good terms, and he hadn't told anyone it was that bad. He'd been living in Thailand and first she heard is from the hospital saying he's got liver failure and in intensive care. She had to fly there that night. His funeral affected me significantly. I can't imagine how I'd have felt if I hadn't been alcohol-free for 6 months by then.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    January accountability ~12 day so far
    Me (no alcohol): 7 days
    Alcohol: 5 days (11 drinks)

This weekend:
    Jan 11 - 4 glasses (2 red, 2 white) Opened 2 bottles of wine with DH should have limited myself to 1 glass from each; almost doubled my number of drinks for the month in one night sitting outside with neighbors looking out over the water and grilling steaks.
    Jan 12 - Used 3/4 cup of the 1 bottle of white for cooking the Risotto. 2 smaller glasses. Success in that everyone else had 1 drink before I started pouring wine for myself and DH with dinner.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    After resisting having a beer on Friday when we went out for dinner, Saturday was the one day I allowed myself to drink and had 3 (small) beers. In the past I would have drunk on the Friday (then possibly continued when we got home) and would have drank more than 3 on the Saturday. So an improvement on my old habits.

I did wake up this morning not feeling great and I'm pretty sure the beers on Saturday affected my run today. Maybe next week I just...won't drink. Will see how I feel by next weekend.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    I just found this group and apparently have unknowingly been participating in the challenge since the new year.

I normally drink a couple of beers (or wine with spaghetti or pizza) a couple of times a week (which, I suspect helped me gain quite a bit of weight over the past five years). But I haven’t had a drop since Jan 2nd when we had for dinner ... yep, spaghetti. I went a week without noticing it (amd thankfully) not even craving it.

But since the 3rd, I’ve counting my calories and and added a little more exercise. I might have a glass or two of wine with pizza but the beer is gone! Too many unuseful calories.

Thanks for reading.
    Much succes to you all in 2019!

~ Rob

welcome to the group...nice start to the year
  • MissMay
    Thanks @orphia and @kittybenn. Luckily his problem has only proved to make me a stronger person in so many ways.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,514 Member
    December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th - AF So curious that each and every day that I have drinks I am down 2 pounds the following day. I think that I read somewhere on this post that it dehydrates you. It comes back the next day of course : - )
    I don't log my AF or not AF until the following morning for the night before.
    January 6th - AF - 5 days out of 6. Very busy week, so more AF days to come.
    January 7th - AF - 6 days out of 7 for the month
    January 8th - AF - 7 days our of 8 for the month so far
    January 9th - AF - 8 days out of 9
    January 10th - 1 champagne, later on 3 drinks
    January 11th - 2 drinks - 8 out of 11 AF. I am pleased with that.
    January 12th - 3 drinks - 8 out of 12 AF. Going to rack up some more AF days.
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Awesome, @BuffMom84 - that must've been incredibly hard not to drink while your husband was. That took some serious resolve - congrats! My husband loves beer, but usually has a couple in the afternoon and then nothing at dinner or beyond. The only time I ever drink/drank wine was dinner and beyond. So at least I'm not looking at him drinking at that time, which helps.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    I caved Friday and had 1 beer. My homelife has become stressful and I’m not handling it well. Stress is definitely a trigger for me. Oh well, I guess I can’t let 1 beer derail me. Crappy thing is I weighed today and have gained 2 lbs. I guess I haven’t been watching what I’ve been eating on my fasting schedule (silly me, I thought cutting out all alcohol and sticking to the fast would work). I guess I just have to work harder. Story of my life.
    Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.