Which one to choose

I’m looking up foods and there are 1000 listings for the same food. “None of them agree on calories” same food, same portion size and calories can vary tremendously. A chicken breast, or a pice of beef, by cut and there is no consistency. Are all of the foods member added? If so how do you know what to trust as being correct? If I have to do my own research on each food I will but what a pain. Was hoping the Appnwould provide verified data on foods.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    For generic things like chicken or beef, try looking for the USDA entry.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I compare them either to the nutrition info on the package or the published USDA info. It gets easier as you go because you will have entries you've already verified in your recent foods.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    uncgooda wrote: »
    I’m looking up foods and there are 1000 listings for the same food. “None of them agree on calories” same food, same portion size and calories can vary tremendously. A chicken breast, or a pice of beef, by cut and there is no consistency. Are all of the foods member added? If so how do you know what to trust as being correct? If I have to do my own research on each food I will but what a pain. Was hoping the Appnwould provide verified data on foods.

@uncgooda the main reason the difference is we can never know the number of calories (CI) because we are all different. 100 calories of food may only yield 75 calories of energy in one person but 125 useful calories to another person. Then there are just mistakes along the way to the labs to the printers. That is before we factor in the FDA 20% over or under counting rule.

berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/can-you-trust-calorie-counts

A couple clips from the above link as samples are pasted below.

"The FDA allows food companies wide latitude in the accuracy of the calories listed on package labels—20 percent in either direction. That means if a label says 200 calories per serving, it could be 240 calories or 160 calories or anything in between. What’s more, the FDA doesn’t do any systematic policing of labels to ensure that calorie counts meet even that lax degree of accuracy. The responsibility for label accuracy remains with the food companies, from national manufacturers to regional or local vendors. It basically works on the honor system."

"Are “healthier” food options less prone to such discrepancies? Apparently not. In a study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association in 2010, researchers purchased 39 reduced-calorie frozen meals (such as Weight Watchers and Healthy Choice) and foods from chain restaurants (such as Taco Bell, McDonald’s, and Applebee’s). Again, testing in a calorimeter revealed that calorie counts were usually understated. The frozen foods averaged 8 percent more calories than labeled. Meanwhile, restaurant foods averaged 18 percent more calories, with a few actually containing twice as many calories as stated on menus or menu boards."

Nope. The question is regarding the food in the MFP database. There is no need to confuse the OP with whatever you are going on about.

OP, confirm entries with the USDA website.