Body sore

I was determined to start working on the bottom half of my body by doing calf raises, squats, lunges, and leg raises 3 days ago. The next day I woke up to my thighs hurting and sore. They no longer hurt anymore as of today but I’m wondering if this is normal during a workout because I read something about your body breaking down and producing stronger I think (could be wrong) muscle tissue to withstand the exercises that I am doing. But I am also wondering if the amount I did of each exercise was too much and should I start off by doing a lower amount?

Replies

• J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    perfectly normal, delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

you better get used to this feeling, and learn to embrace and love it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Totally normal for anyone doing something new and novel.

It's why people suggest avoiding "too much, too soon syndrome". Build up steadily and progressively, you may need more rest and recovery now than you will when you are accustomed to your routine even though you will be capable of working much harder in the future.

It's also not just muscles but also ligaments, tendons, joints etc. that have to adapt to new a stressor.
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    Completely normal obviously if your do to train legs and are in pain just walking might have to cut frequency but pain after training especially legs is normal
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Gotta love the DOMS lol.... Completely normal it does go away and does get less and less as time goes on
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    like fairfax said you will learn to love this feeling. it starts to feel more like achievement than pain.
  • Allsmiles358
    Allsmiles358 Posts: 11 Member
    Ok, thanks for letting me know everyone!
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    It is important that you get to know the different sorts of aches and pains, like the difference between a muscle that has been given a good work out and is just suffering from doms, or an aching tendon or a tweaked joint or small muscle tear.

i'm having a hard time articulating this, and it's something you get with experience, but pain and discomfort are things you will feel, but it is important to get to understand your body, to react to what you are feeling and understand what are warning signs and red flags, and what is just par for the course.
  • Allsmiles358
    Allsmiles358 Posts: 11 Member
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    It is important that you get to know the different sorts of aches and pains, like the difference between a muscle that has been given a good work out and is just suffering from doms, or an aching tendon or a tweaked joint or small muscle tear.

i'm having a hard time articulating this, and it's something you get with experience, but pain and discomfort are things you will feel, but it is important to get to understand your body, to react to what you are feeling and understand what are warning signs and red flags, and what is just par for the course.

I’m still having a hard time adjusting to the pain I am feeling in my legs. Today feels slightly better than what I previously felt in the beginning so I guess I am getting somewhere. I’m also taking into consideration that all exercises are performed correctly to prevent anything that could harm my legs in the process.
  • caroannv
    caroannv Posts: 40 Member
    I used to get terrible January muscle pain every year and thought it was normal for that new-year-new-start resistance training, but this year I have upped my protein considerabky and have had tiredness but NO pain/DOMS. I can’t believe it. I was eating only about half the protein I should have. You could check macros???