Pasta is the weight cooked or dry

Hi new to this. I am have wholewheat spaghetti. It says 100g. Is that before when dry or after cooking. Thanks

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Usually it’s dry unless the package says otherwise.
  • Redshell1977
    Redshell1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Ok thanks
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Dry pasta has 100 calories per ounce. Experiment with it. Start with 4 ounces dry and see how much that is. Relax. Its only 400 calories and with a no-oil tomato sauce it will come in under 500 calories and be too much to eat. There are some folks on here that think that 3 ounces is a little tiny serving. It isn't. Try it and see.

For my part, 7 jumbo shrimp sauteed in a pat of butter (7g) and some Better Than Boullion Lobster Base, some garlic, shallots and 2 ounces of thin spaghetti is all I need. 350 calories. Spa food.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Dry pasta has 100 calories per ounce.

In general. I use a higher fiber pasta that is 75/oz. Occasionally I use an added protein pasta that is 90/oz. I'm sure there are other examples as well.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Package numbers are for dry weight. If cooking multiple servings, weigh it out before you cook it and after so you know how much cooked weight your individual serving is. In my experience, the cooked weight tends to be about 3X the dry weight, but this will vary.