Dry January! No Alcohol!

Replies

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    That is fantastic! I also can’t believe how much better I feel and loving how my skin looks too. Hardest time for me is “cocktail hour” before dinner. I have changed it for hot tea and each day easier and easier!

Proud of all making changes in 2019! Whether it’s deciding to give up alcohol for dry January, sweets, eating junk or whatever it may be for you, great job!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm on day 13. The scale is cooperating. My body is ridding itself of the "meno-pounds". Happy Sabine!
  • cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    Had a great week and more important a great weekend..which is my weak point. Here comes the But: last nite I did have a juice glass size of red wine with my dinner. I decided not to beat myself up over it as my usual Sat. and Sunday would have been several large glasses. Still in for challenge and trying to focus on process goals for long term change beyond January versus short term outcome goal only to go back to old pattern after January ends. So far only down 1.5lb I am already at my maintenance weight and have not been able to work out this past week so maybe more to come off. Wishing everyone the best upcoming week. Stay positive and celebrate your success and keep slip ups in perspective!
  • cavatinne
    Athletic Brewing co. A craft brewery dedicated to non alcoholic beer..they are in state of CN and ship..have not tried it yet..
  • cavatinne
    Not sure how many calories..doubt zero..not sure such a thing is made
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    In search of a 0 cal beer. Today I tried Becks. Excellent. Tastes exactly like the real stuff. I am searching for great zero cal beer not because of dry january but because of calories :)

11093.jpg

Zero alcohol yes but I've never found a zero calorie beer. If there is such a thing please share!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I want zero calorie wine! Lol!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Had a great week and more important a great weekend..which is my weak point. Here comes the But: last nite I did have a juice glass size of red wine with my dinner. I decided not to beat myself up over it as my usual Sat. and Sunday would have been several large glasses. Still in for challenge and trying to focus on process goals for long term change beyond January versus short term outcome goal only to go back to old pattern after January ends. So far only down 1.5lb I am already at my maintenance weight and have not been able to work out this past week so maybe more to come off. Wishing everyone the best upcoming week. Stay positive and celebrate your success and keep slip ups in perspective!

Great job and the changes you are making!! One small glass instead of several big ones is a win! Same here I have really cut back and thankful for the reduction!
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    I want zero calorie wine! Lol!

That would be amazing!
  • Karinafabulous
    Karinafabulous Posts: 4 Member
    I am in. I too am used to sitting down to a movie with wine. I know I will feel better without the wine though.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I have to say without the wine in January, my workouts are better in the morning! I am looking forward to waking up in the morning and heading to my Barre studio for a great workout!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2019
    While I may have stumbled along the way, this January has been WAY drier for me than any previous one, or any other month of the year for that matter. He're we are at mid-month, and I've only had wine twice since the 1st! I am feeling great and plan to continue.
    I have to say without the wine in January, my workouts are better in the morning! I am looking forward to waking up in the morning and heading to my Barre studio for a great workout!

I too feel that my workouts are better and I enjoy them more. What barre studio do you go to? How many classes per week do you take? I'm a fitness afficionado myself thus the questions. :smile:

• SallyLuvsFitness
    @Alpha12.

Awesome job to you! I go to Barre3 and its awesome! I was only going twice a week; however, I have upt my game and going at least four times a week since the beginning of January!

What are your workouts?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Below are positive benefits for a DRY January and/or cutting back alcohol! I am doing so much better compared to last January! The scale is starting to reflect my efforts!

https://www.priorygroup.com/blog/benefits-of-giving-up-alcohol-for-a-month

https://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Healthy-you/8-surprising-things-that-happen-to-your-body-when-you-stop-drinking-booze-20171023

Maybe your nightly glass of wine has turned into two or three. Or you’re overdoing it on the beer and have the gut to prove it.

Giving up alcohol can be tough – but the benefits make it worth the effort, says Damon Raskin, MD, a Los Angeles-based physician who is board certified in addiction medicine.

“Taking a break from drinking alcohol – even if it’s just for a couple of weeks – is a good idea, especially if you’re regularly consuming more than the recommended daily limit,” Dr Raskin says. That’s generally two drinks a day for men.

Also, if your drinking seems to be affecting your work or personal relationships – regardless of how much booze you’re knocking back – it’s time to consider taking it easy, he adds.

Here’s what you can expect to happen, both short- and long-term, if you give up alcohol:

Read more: This is the best type of alcohol to drink if you’re trying to lose weight

1. You’ll sleep more soundly

One recent study in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research found drinking before bed increases alpha wave patterns in the brain – a kind of cerebral activity that usually occurs when you’re awake but resting.

The result? Disrupted sleep.

Another review of 27 studies found that while alcohol may help people fall asleep more quickly and deeply at first, it seriously screws with sleep quality after that initial restful period.

You might toss and turn at first, but give up alcohol and the sleep you get will likely leave you feeling more refreshed and sharp the next day.

The byproducts of better sleep: improved mood, concentration and mental performance, Dr Raskin says.

2. You’ll eat less at dinner

According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, alcohol is one of the biggest drivers of overeating.

That may be because alcohol heightens our senses, according to a new study published in the journal Obesity.

Researchers found that when people received an alcohol “infusion” equal to about two drinks, they ate 30% more food than those who received a saline solution.

Even mild intoxication can increase your brain activity in the hypothalamus, making you more sensitive to the smell of food and prompting you to eat more.

3. You might crave sugar

Sugar boosts levels of the “reward” chemical dopamine, which fuels feelings of pleasure, Dr Raskin says.

Alcohol does the same thing, so it’s very possible that when you give up one substance that causes happy-making chemicals to float around your brain, you’ll be more likely to reach for the other.

“Don’t be surprised if you try to get that same enjoyment or rush you used to get after a drink from something sweet,” he says.

Read more: Is drinking every day – even a little bit – going to turn you into an alcoholic?

4. You’ll start losing weight

Alcohol has a sneaky way of increasing your daily calorie intake without you realising it.

Just one margarita may contain 300 calories or more – mostly from sugar.

Men consume an additional 433 calories on those days they drink a “moderate” amount of alcohol, according to one study.

Cut those from your diet – and don’t replace them with desserts – and you’ll start to lose weight without much effort.

5. Your skin will clear up

Within a few days of cutting out booze, you’ll notice your skin looking and feeling more hydrated.

That’s because alcohol is a diuretic, causing you to urinate more, Dr Raskin says.

Alcohol also decreases the body’s production of an antidiuretic hormone, which helps the body reabsorb water. (Less water in the body equals dry-looking skin.)

Ruddiness in your cheeks and around your nose may also start to fade, and other skin conditions – such as dandruff, eczema or rosacea – may also improve, Dr Raskin says.

Read more: How to detox your skin after overdoing the alcohol, sweets or salt

6. You’ll have more money

Drinking – especially a fine wine or scotch habit – is an expensive undertaking.

Take a moment to crunch the numbers, adding up what you spend for drinks both at home and out on the town (factoring in tax and tip).

It can be an eye-opening – and motivating – exercise.

7. Your mood might take a hit

It’s important to understand that there will be times when you feel like you’re missing out – and it can make you pretty testy, Dr Raskin says.

“People often use alcohol as a lubricant for emotions, and when they stop drinking they may feel agitated and restless,” he adds.

8. Your cancer risk falls but your heart disease risk might rise

According to the National Cancer Institute, alcohol use has been linked to an increased risk for cancers of the mouth, liver, colon and rectum.

The risk increases the more you drink.

On the other hand, multiple studies have shown moderate alcohol consumption may lower your odds of heart trouble.

More research suggests your risk for stroke, diabetes and mortality may all rise slightly when you give up booze – assuming you were a light drinker before you quit.

This article was originally published on www.mh.co.za

Image credit: iStock
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    What has been the best one thing you have experienced so far in January without or limited alcohol?
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    tIf that is your only concession in your effort to lose weight, you will lose some but it will not come off as quickly as you think. Remember, 1 lb is approx. 3500 calories. Your best bet is to create your cal. deficit by logging, weighing everything you put in your mouth and forget any time constraints.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    What has been the best one thing you have experienced so far in January without or limited alcohol?

For me, it's the consistent increased natural energy, feeling lighter on my feet, making better food choices on the weekends, having better workouts= all leading me to reaching my weight/fitness goals.

And overall increased confidence that I'm doing something better for my overall health.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2019
    Two weeks without any alcohol and I feel much better than I did in December. My complexion is fabulous! I have more energy. I'm liking this.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I really enjoy wine; however, it’s been great having a dry January! Had a fantastic workout this morning and seeing a decline in the scale, whooo hooo!!!!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    It has taken a few weeks to see the decline in the scale with the reduction of alcohol! Even though I have been eating really healthy (no cheating) and working out! Glad I have been patient, it is paying off! Sleep is fabulous!