Multiple marathons (AKA, "major races") in 2019

I'm turning 40 this year and my goal is to run three marathons before the end of the year.

I'm starting this thread for those with similar goals (or those who have already done it) to share tips, tricks, and stories. For the purposes of this thread, I'm defining "marathon" inclusively. For me, it is marathons, but if your multiple big races are ultras, halves, or anything else, please feel free to chime in. Whatever "major" means for you, that's what this thread is about.

I've already run three marathons -- one in 2016, one in 2017, and one in 2018. My current plan is to run a marathon in New Orleans next month, and then the Twin Cities (MN) and St Jude marathons in October and December.

Current training: I finished the Twin Cities last October (with my best ever time!) and immediately went back into Hal Higdon's 18-week intermediate training plan. I live in Minnesota and the combination of training for two marathons in a row *and* running through the winter has been less than 100% fun. My plan after February is to spend the spring not training for anything in particular, just keeping my miles above 20 a week. I've got a couple of shorter races during this time to keep me motivation. Around June, I'll begin another 18-week training period to prepare for my 2nd marathon of 2019 and when that is done, just add the very end of the same training plan to carry me through to the December marathon.

I am not that worried about feeling sort of burnt out right now because spring and summer running is typically the most fun for me and it's hard to *keep* from running when the sun is shining and I can comfortably wear shorts. Physically I don't feel burnt out at all, it's just a mental thing. I do notice that my time is a bit slower than it was prior to my October marathon, but I think that's because I've effectively been training since last July. I don't want to back off now because I'm so close to February and I wasn't aiming for a PR anyway.

Interested in hearing from those of you who have done this before or who are contemplating doing it.

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    I'll chime in! I'll be 36 in 6 months. My goal is 36 miles of races before then. I have a 10 miler and a half scheduled. Need 1 more half to even it out.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I’m posting primarily to follow for my 2020 plans. I did a chunk of long (for me) races at the end of 2018 (marathon, 26k 2 weeks later, half 4 weeks later plus some 5k’s mixed in because the others just weren’t enough I guess?). That finished the first week of December.

I’m spending the beginning of this year laying low (I’m a Touch burnt out) and will ramp up again when it’s more pleasant to be outside. I’ve really only got a half scheduled for this fall, but am Thinking longer term as I will need to begin 2020 race specific training the week after that half. I want to make sure I’m doing everything I can now to be planning for a long duration, high volume training cycle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    No big race plans this year. I'll probably do the Santa Fe Century 1/4 century (25 miles) in May and the Tour of the Rio Grande Valley in September...probably the 1/2 century since it's super flat.

I think I'm done with races...I didn't do any USAC races last year and my USAC license expired a couple of years ago and I don't feel like shelling out $80 every year just for my USAC license...plus, a lot of those guys are way hard corps and I just like to ride.

My biggest thing for this year is that I want to get back to riding at least 60 miles per week most weeks.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Fabulous! I keep meaning to make my race plans for the year, but haven't yet. I'm thinking mostly half distance, but one marathon in the fall.

My training was pretty bad last year, so I need to get back to it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Depending how my knee feels I’ll do shamrock marathon in March (but may drop down to the half)

August - ironman mont treblant

October - Marine Corps marathon
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I turn 50 on January 25th. I'm running a 6 hour fat *kitten* race on the 26th. Does that kind of nonsense count? :D
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Dewd2 - the one in Annapolis? I've thought about doing that, some year that I'm not training for a spring marathon.

I would like to do more than one marathon this year, but I don't know yet what my husband is going to want to do this summer. When we are on the road, I run, but don't train seriously. For me, I need more than 20 mpw to stay in shape. I usually do a half in the fall and a marathon in the spring, but being in non-stop training mode can be mentally exhausting, though it does keep my fitness level high.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    @spiriteagle99 - No. Frosty Fat Sass in NJ.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I did 2 halfs last year so my goal is more halfs and one full. Does that count :)
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Dewd2 - the one in Annapolis? I've thought about doing that, some year that I'm not training for a spring marathon.

I would like to do more than one marathon this year, but I don't know yet what my husband is going to want to do this summer. When we are on the road, I run, but don't train seriously. For me, I need more than 20 mpw to stay in shape. I usually do a half in the fall and a marathon in the spring, but being in non-stop training mode can be mentally exhausting, though it does keep my fitness level high.

If you have never run a race in Annapolis. Do it. It is beyond beautiful. I did the running festival two years ago- it's a november run. Fantastic.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'll chime in! I'll be 36 in 6 months. My goal is 36 miles of races before then. I have a 10 miler and a half scheduled. Need 1 more half to even it out.

That's a cool goal!
  • janejellyroll
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I turn 50 on January 25th. I'm running a 6 hour fat *kitten* race on the 26th. Does that kind of nonsense count? :D

Yes, six hours counts!
  • janejellyroll
    I did 2 halfs last year so my goal is more halfs and one full. Does that count :)

Yes, whatever a "big" goal is for someone, I think that counts.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    edited January 2019
    @janejellyroll I'm also a Minnesota runner, though I haven't run in over 12 weeks due to foot surgery. I get to run Thursday though, so I'm soon to get back into it. I actually looking forward to running in the sub-zero temps this weekend. Winter is my favorite season to run outside. Treadmills scare me.

I turn 52 this month. My goal this year is to complete three ultramarathons. Tillamook Burn 50 Mile (Oregon) at the end of April, Superior Spring 50K (Minnesota) in May (if I'm selected...it's a lottery), and a race to be named later in the fall. Last year I ran the Loopet Loppet, a 12 hour trail race and finished with 42 miles. I may do that again this year, or I may run a 50K, 50M or100K in Kansas. I had hoped to run the Psycho Wyco 50K in February but there's no way I'll be back in form by then. The big challenge will be completing the 50M in April. There are 8700 vertical feet of climb and drop included in those 50 miles!

Last year I did run three ultra distances, but one was a DNF after running 34 miles in a 50 mile race (during our April blizzard last year). It was a beast of a day, but it doesn't count.

At some point, after our last kid is out of the house and I can train more, I'd like to do three Minnesota marathons three weekends in a row. The three I've picked out are Twin Cities Marathon, Bemidji Blue Ox Marathon, and the Mankato Marathon.

• janejellyroll
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @janejellyroll I'm also a Minnesota runner, though I haven't run in over 12 weeks due to foot surgery. I get to run Thursday though, so I'm soon to get back into it. I actually looking forward to running in the sub-zero temps this weekend. Winter is my favorite season to run outside. Treadmills scare me.

I turn 52 this month. My goal this year is to complete three ultramarathons. Tillamook Burn 50 Mile (Oregon) at the end of April, Superior Spring 50K (Minnesota) in May (if I'm selected...it's a lottery), and a race to be named later in the fall. Last year I ran the Loopet Loppet, a 12 hour trail race and finished with 42 miles. I may do that again this year, or I may run a 50K, 50M or100K in Kansas. I had hoped to run the Psycho Wyco 50K in February but there's no way I'll be back in form by then. The big challenge will be completing the 50M in April. There are 8700 vertical feet of climb and drop included in those 50 miles!

Last year I did run three ultra distances, but one was a DNF after running 34 miles in a 50 mile race (during our April blizzard last year). It was a beast of a day, but it doesn't count.

At some point, after our last kid is out of the house and I can train more, I'd like to do three Minnesota marathons three weekends in a row. The three I've picked out are Twin Cities Marathon, Bemidji Blue Ox Marathon, and the Mankato Marathon.

I am going to channel some of your cold weather excitement for this weekend. I have my 20-mile run on Sunday and the forecast right now is for 11 degrees.

Your planned races sound cool. After I complete my marathons this year, I think my next goal will be to tackle a longer distance race. The training has seemed daunting, but it is something that I really want to accomplish.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member

I am going to channel some of your cold weather excitement for this weekend. I have my 20-mile run on Sunday and the forecast right now is for 11 degrees.

Your planned races sound cool. After I complete my marathons this year, I think my next goal will be to tackle a longer distance race. The training has seemed daunting, but it is something that I really want to accomplish.

@janejellyroll have you done any trail running? Minnesota has a fantastic, welcoming trail running community (look up the Upper Midwest Trail Runners on FB). Training for a 50K really isn't much different than training for a marathon, just do your long runs on trails. I've only run one marathon on pavement, and it was just a year after I started running, but I find my body recovers much faster from trail ultras than that one paved marathon.

• janejellyroll

@janejellyroll have you done any trail running? Minnesota has a fantastic, welcoming trail running community (look up the Upper Midwest Trail Runners on FB). Training for a 50K really isn't much different than training for a marathon, just do your long runs on trails. I've only run one marathon on pavement, and it was just a year after I started running, but I find my body recovers much faster from trail ultras than that one paved marathon.

I haven't done trail running here, although I did a lot of it in Arizona. I'll look up that group, thanks!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    EEE! This is a great thread. :smile: First, off, congrats @janejellyroll on tackling 3 marathons this year, and best of luck to you! Can't wait to hear updates as the year goes on. Very ambitious - so hell yeah! Go get those marathons and slay them!

I'm running the Los Angeles Marathon in March. It will be my first; so because of that - I started training for my marathon back in July of last year. And, after careful reflection, at this current point in time, I'm so glad I chose to do so. Building a strong base was so important, since I had not built my body efficiently enough for the endurance length. With two months to go, I'm pretty confident I'll be crossing the finish line in a fairly *so-so* respectable time, barring anything crazy happening.

I think I'm going to try and get another half marathon race under my belt prior to my race, but we'll see.

Excited hearing/reading about everyone's goals for the year! You all have my utmost support to reach your targets! I shall be cheering and out of sight from afar, but thinking about you!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I'm currently nursing an achilles injury, but have a couple goal races planned. Patriot Half Iron distance triathlon in June, NYC triathlon in July, Ironman Mont Tremblant in August. If the achilles remains cranky this year, I may resort to a run/walk strategy for the run segments in these races. :)
  • janejellyroll
    EEE! This is a great thread. :smile: First, off, congrats @janejellyroll on tackling 3 marathons this year, and best of luck to you! Can't wait to hear updates as the year goes on. Very ambitious - so hell yeah! Go get those marathons and slay them!

I'm running the Los Angeles Marathon in March. It will be my first; so because of that - I started training for my marathon back in July of last year. And, after careful reflection, at this current point in time, I'm so glad I chose to do so. Building a strong base was so important, since I had not built my body efficiently enough for the endurance length. With two months to go, I'm pretty confident I'll be crossing the finish line in a fairly *so-so* respectable time, barring anything crazy happening.

I think I'm going to try and get another half marathon race under my belt prior to my race, but we'll see.

Excited hearing/reading about everyone's goals for the year! You all have my utmost support to reach your targets! I shall be cheering and out of sight from afar, but thinking about you!

I have a few friends who have run the Los Angeles Marathon and haven't heard anything but good things about it. Good luck!