You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I have a question though... Any tips on quickly finding an entry in GRAMS? There are a few foods I have come across that seem to insist I weigh in fluid ounces or milliliters. (For solid foods). I cant remember what food it was, but I scanned the barcode and my options were "1 serving" milliliters, or fluid ounces. I thought: "Okay no big I'll just switch my scale to ML or Fluid ounces and use that". Nope calories were off. Way off. So I looked it up manually. It took 5 minutes of poking at my phone to finally find one that measured in grams. Any faster way of doing this? Whats crazy is the package used grams as its serving! But it was a major PIA to find an entry in grams. Who is out there measuring thier solids in milliliters and fluid ounces?! (I do realize I can just use math and divide my weighed portion into the serving size, but it's nice to just plug the grams I weighed into the diary instead.)

I see this "fluid ounces" thing more & more- don't remember coming across that 5 years ago. So annoying... "fluid ounces" of shredded cheese. *eye roll* But yes, use "grams" in your search
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    I have a question though... Any tips on quickly finding an entry in GRAMS? There are a few foods I have come across that seem to insist I weigh in fluid ounces or milliliters. (For solid foods). I cant remember what food it was, but I scanned the barcode and my options were "1 serving" milliliters, or fluid ounces. I thought: "Okay no big I'll just switch my scale to ML or Fluid ounces and use that". Nope calories were off. Way off. So I looked it up manually. It took 5 minutes of poking at my phone to finally find one that measured in grams. Any faster way of doing this? Whats crazy is the package used grams as its serving! But it was a major PIA to find an entry in grams. Who is out there measuring thier solids in milliliters and fluid ounces?! (I do realize I can just use math and divide my weighed portion into the serving size, but it's nice to just plug the grams I weighed into the diary instead.)

I see this "fluid ounces" thing more & more- don't remember coming across that 5 years ago. So annoying... "fluid ounces" of shredded cheese. *eye roll* But yes, use "grams" in your search

I get fluid ounces of shredded cheese all the time, too. And it was a local company that didn't put the grams on the label. They finally added it, thankfully.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Did you try searching with "grams" in the food name? I've done that before. Or "usda". That will do it, too.

Sometimes that works. I cant remember what food it was (of course). But it was a packaged food so usda was out. I tried the search with "grams" and it had literally 1 entry that I wasn't confident in it's accuracy. And then it came up with all sorts of stuff that wasn't relevant. Now that I think about it, it was when MFP was having problems like a week ago. Maybe it was just a fluke. Bacon was interesting the other day. "Kirkland bacon" was one of the only ones showing grams. The rest was by the piece. Even USDA showed "pieces". But now it's working (Just tested it). So nevermind. I think they system was just going wonky that day.
  • Crafty_camper123

I get fluid ounces of shredded cheese all the time, too. And it was a local company that didn't put the grams on the label. They finally added it, thankfully.

I think it might have been shredded cheese... I eventually just used a different brand of cheese that was in my frequently used stuff, and weighed that. At that point I was thinking "screw it. clsoe enough".
  • try2again

I've seen it in Kraft or regional brands. Other solids too, just can't think of an example at the moment.
  • try2again

This happened in one of MFP's #ImprovingOurWebsiteNotReally.

I have all my foods entered now, but that was an annoying little *feature* they provided us a few years ago during an update and apparently don't feel the need to fix. The worst part is that it happened to their own Admin-entered entries (mostly,) so it messed with things that were already right.

Milliliters for solid food and also garlic that's ten million calories. Thanks, MFP.

Should have known... and here I was blaming users ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

I have all my foods entered now, but that was an annoying little *feature* they provided us a few years ago during an update and apparently don't feel the need to fix. The worst part is that it happened to their own Admin-entered entries (mostly,) so it messed with things that were already right.

Milliliters for solid food and also garlic that's ten million calories. Thanks, MFP.

Should have known... and here I was blaming users ;)

Only reason I knew is because I had been using it for so long and saw the changes in items I used regularly. Lots of them. So now I have them in MY FOODS correctly.

Free, though. :wink:
  • Crafty_camper123

That garlic gets me everytime i use the recipie builder. 'WHAT 900 calories a serving... for THAT?!?!?.. oh wait.. the garlic. 450 calories? muuuch better"
  • try2again
    In the interest of fairness, the other day, for the first time ever, I had a recipe I entered in the recipe builder come up without a single mistake or wrong entry! Maybe it's a sign of great things to come ;)
  • cmriverside
    In the interest of fairness, the other day, for the first time ever, I had a recipe I entered in the recipe builder come up without a single mistake or wrong entry! Maybe it's a sign of great things to come ;)

Of course, tell that to the 37,000 threads this week saying, "I can't log food."

Trade-offs!
  • try2again

Of course, tell that to the 37,000 threads this week saying, "I can't log food."

Trade-offs!

I know! I was baffled that it happened during this period of extensive problems. I thought maybe the fix "cured" the recipe builder (not really, but a girl can dream ;) ).
  • Crafty_camper123
    FWIW: I have tried other logging apps. And, depite some of the annoyances of MFP I keep coming back. I keep finding I cant find the food I want on the other apps, and end up going to MFP to cross reference my data. Might as well stick to MFP if I have to go to it anyways. Anyhoo, since this is the food scale thread and why we should be using one, I'll get back on topic. I keep finding weighing is 9 times out of 10 more convenient then measuring with spoons and cups and what not. I just love plopping it on my plate, enting in the grams and going on my way. Instead of busting out measuring cups and hoping that 1 cup of "melon, cubed" or "chicken, 1 cup ( when I have a whole breast) " is accurate.
  • try2again
    edited January 2019
    FWIW: I have tried other logging apps. And, depite some of the annoyances of MFP I keep coming back. I keep finding I cant find the food I want on the other apps, and end up going to MFP to cross reference my data. Might as well stick to MFP if I have to go to it anyways. Anyhoo, since this is the food scale thread and why we should be using one, I'll get back on topic. I keep finding weighing is 9 times out of 10 more convenient then measuring with spoons and cups and what not. I just love plopping it on my plate, enting in the grams and going on my way. Instead of busting out measuring cups and hoping that 1 cup of "melon, cubed" or "chicken, 1 cup ( when I have a whole breast) " is accurate.

In my case, it's just good-natured teasing :) It's an awesome resource and worth the glitches, IMO (though it was a mistake to suggest that to the angry hordes last week ;) ).

I can't understand why anyone would choose to use measuring cups or spoons over a food scale (at least,anyone who is lazy and hates doing dishes like me).

This has probably been covered in this thread, but why the advice "food scale for solids, measuring cups for liquids" that I often see? I know liquids are based on volume, but does it make any difference, especially since the scale has a ml setting?
  • cmriverside

In my case, it's just good-natured teasing :) It's an awesome resource and worth the glitches, IMO (though it was a mistake to suggest that to the angry hordes last week ;) ).

I can't understand why anyone would choose to use measuring cups or spoons over a food scale (at least,anyone who is lazy and hates doing dishes like me).

This has probably been covered in this thread, but why the advice "food scale for solids, measuring cups for liquids" that I often see? I know liquids are based on volume, but does it make any difference, especially since the scale has a ml setting?

Food scale for liquids is close enough. I do both. It's really close enough. Some people will argue that some liquids are denser. Meh, it's a gram if anything at all.
  • cmriverside
    ...and not all scales have ml setting. Mine doesn't.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Food scale for liquids is close enough. I do both. It's really close enough. Some people will argue that some liquids are denser. Meh, it's a gram if anything at all.

I've done all my liquids in grams with no problems.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

Saves a step when the majority of your cookbooks are from the US and don't include metric weights. Plus it's what you're used to. I started baking as a toddler in the mid-seventies (Mom let me measure ingredients and mix them; she handled the trips to and from the oven) and I was definitely doing Jello and soup mixes at seven. So, when I came to MFP, I'd been using cups and spoons for 40-odd years. I'd also lost weight before using measuring cups and spoons, so what did I need with all you young whippersnappers and your new-fangled ways? ;) But, I started reading the forums, learning, sort of deciding, "when my weight loss stalls, I know the first thing I'm tightening up," and then started tightening ahead of time. At first just figuring out whether "1 medium sweet potato" actually weighed what the recipe/MFP database said it did (not... even... close!), but I eventually got to the point of weighing out my flour, sugar, etc. I still use spoons for spices and baking powder/baking soda/>1/4 cup cocoa.

My scale doesn't have an ml setting. Sometimes I'll google the grams on honey or maple syrup. Sometimes, I just trust the spoons and liquid measuring cup.
  • try2again

Saves a step when the majority of your cookbooks are from the US and don't include metric weights. Plus it's what you're used to. I started baking as a toddler in the mid-seventies (Mom let me measure ingredients and mix them; she handled the trips to and from the oven) and I was definitely doing Jello and soup mixes at seven. So, when I came to MFP, I'd been using cups and spoons for 40-odd years. I'd also lost weight before using measuring cups and spoons, so what did I need with all you young whippersnappers and your new-fangled ways? ;) But, I started reading the forums, learning, sort of deciding, "when my weight loss stalls, I know the first thing I'm tightening up," and then started tightening ahead of time. At first just figuring out whether "1 medium sweet potato" actually weighed what the recipe/MFP database said it did (not... even... close!), but I eventually got to the point of weighing out my flour, sugar, etc. I still use spoons for spices and baking powder/baking soda/>1/4 cup cocoa.

My scale doesn't have an ml setting. Sometimes I'll google the grams on honey or maple syrup. Sometimes, I just trust the spoons and liquid measuring cup.

Oh, I wasn't thinking of baking- I actually do use cups for that, though I know it's imprecise. I was just thinking of eating/meals throughout the day. Would hate filling a TB with peanut butter and having to clean it out with my finger, or 1/2 cup of refried beans, etc.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    If you find discrepancies in entries, can't you edit them? I'm pretty I have before, or I've added my own with the nutritional facts listed on the package.

My yogurt always wants to use ml to weigh it. It's annoying to say the least.