Calorie Limit for Weightloss?

Hello everyone,

I've fallen off the wagon and am trying to get back to losing weight and get healthy.

However, I've tried to find what calories I need for daily functions and what is a safe amount to be under that or if I should just change the diet entirely instead.

I need some help and advice from people who've been here before, or just want to give their two cents.

Currently I'm eating below 1690 a day, from several websites listing that this would be the range it would be safe.

I'm trying to lose 20-30 pounds before the end of this year, and here is my personal information if you need it

Height: 5'2
Weight:150

I would also love to hear any healthy recipes that you have tried that came out delicious, thanks for your time!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    You don't want to be below your BMR, but for weight loss set a weight loss goal on MFP to 1 pound a week. Stick to those calories and if you exercise eat back 1/4-1/2 of them.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I agree with cathipa.

Log your food and purposeful exercise as accurately as you can in your diary (FOOD & Exercise) for a couple months and you'll see if you are in the ballpark. Then you adjust based on results.
  • rachelatlas1
    rachelatlas1 Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2019
    That’s just over 1 pound a week which is healthy and I based my intake off of MFP recommendation. With her being 2” taller than me, this should be a fine regiment. I didn’t remove carbs, I cut them back to healthy portions and switched white grains for wheat. Im not sure what value your comment added.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2019
    That’s just over 1 pound a week which is healthy and I based my intake off of MFP recommendation. With her being 2” taller than me, this should be a fine regiment. I didn’t remove carbs, I cut them back to healthy portions and switched white grains for wheat. Im not sure what value your comment added.

I also didn't say "removed" carbs.

Cutting carbs is a discipline. If it works for you that's one thing.

It's not necessary for weight loss and when you go back to your regular foods you're going to regain some of that because it's not all fat loss.

I eat moderate carbs. I lost 70+ pounds and have kept it off. You don't have to completely overhaul your foods.

You did say:
    high fat, protein and low carb items. I stopped eating pasta, white bread
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Hello everyone,

I've fallen off the wagon and am trying to get back to losing weight and get healthy.

However, I've tried to find what calories I need for daily functions and what is a safe amount to be under that or if I should just change the diet entirely instead.

I need some help and advice from people who've been here before, or just want to give their two cents.

Currently I'm eating below 1690 a day, from several websites listing that this would be the range it would be safe.

I'm trying to lose 20-30 pounds before the end of this year, and here is my personal information if you need it

Height: 5'2
    Weight:150

I would also love to hear any healthy recipes that you have tried that came out delicious, thanks for your time!

How long have you been eating 1690, and what has your weight done so far? All anyone here or any calculator can do is give you a starting point, then you just need to tweak from there based on your results. You should be looking for around 1 lb per week to start, and then when you are about 10-15 lbs to goal, step down to 0.5lbs per week. I think 1690 sounds fine, depending on your activity level, so why not give it 4 weeks and see what happens? If you are losing to slow, step down 100 cals and give it another 4 weeks. Good luck!