Lean bulk not working?

I am 5,3 106 pounds and am trying to bulk. I eat 1900-2100 calories which I am losing weight on. I need help please bc calculators say I’m on bulking calories right now even tho I’m not gaining.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    How long have you been eating those calories and how much weight did you lose in that time?

Do you use a food scale? How accurate and consistent do you feel your logging has been?

Having said all that, all a calculator can do is make a general estimate. If you are losing weight, and you are trying to gain weight, you need to eat more calories.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    TDEE calculators give estimates, they are to get you in the ball park.

If you are not gaining after a few weeks, then simply eat a couple hundred more calories daily and bump it every couple weeks if still nada until the scale starts moving then hold steady.

Once it stalls again, then add some more calories.
  • TheJacob_94
    TheJacob_94 Posts: 5 Member
    Im going to lean bulk using carb cycling for the first time this year, but im not sure how high/low to go with carbs. My body is prone to show fat easily on my love handles when doing high carb which usually demotes me.
  • katiemariieha
    katiemariieha Posts: 12 Member
    I have been eating that much for 3 months and have lost 3 pounds. I also log everyday. I don’t have a food scale but I use measuring cups.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    As someone who struggles to WANT to eat as much as I need to gain weight, I've gained a few pounds and then quickly lost them over the last few years many, many times. And every time I fell off the wagon, the answer was always eat more.

You use measuring cups, great. But that doesn't stop the calories from being a little off. I've always been a guesstimator. I'm quite sure my estimations are probably off so I'm probably not even eating as many calories as I think I am. But I just add to the calories. The calorie amount might be wrong but I'm sure that even if my estimations are off, when I raise the calorie number I am definitely eating more period.

If the calculation for you isn't enough, just eat more.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I have been eating that much for 3 months and have lost 3 pounds. I also log everyday. I don’t have a food scale but I use measuring cups.

So you're eating a smidge under maintenance. Increase your calorie goal by 300 cals. It's possible your logging is a little off or you are just burning a few more calories than the calculators predict. Either way, just tweak your calories up.
  • katiemariieha
    katiemariieha Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for the feedback, I think it might be because my metabolism is fast so I will add more
  • TeamNemesisSteve
    TeamNemesisSteve Posts: 134 Member
    I dealt with the same problem. My metabolism was burning through food fast and I also play some team sports. I’m 6’ and I was down to 161 pounds. I started the clean bulk eating between 2400-2900 calories with 2900 being the suggestion from the app. The month of December I simply upped my calories to around 3200-4000 😂 I’m now working on month 4. I know that seems like a lot but I’ve gained a solid 8 pounds and I know that most of it is muscle because I can see it. I also cut down a little on the cardio. I still run 2 days a week and play full court basketball once a week. I hope this helps!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Add a tbs or two of peanut butter, a 1/4 cup of trail.mix, or a 1/2 cup ice cream each day to your normal diet should be really easy and would close the calorie gap. Swap any type of "lite" or reduced fat item for the full fat or regular version.
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    most "calculators" are a starting point. At the end you have to record or remember what YOU are doing and adjust accordingly after you have experimented. This goes for weight/lean muscle gain and weight loss/cutting.
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    Sorry... 1 more comment. Essentially, no one can really "answer" the question for you as you're the only one that can do it. All we/they can do is provide what they've done from experience from "their" body/genetics. Having said that, a lot of your options are very standard so, if you're looking for ideas, fire away!

You also have to add calories the right way but you have to make sure your macros are in check first. You only stated what you're calories are, no way to be 100% sure what to suggest you need to add without those details.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    If you've been at this for 3 consecutive months and lost weight, then you've been assuming a slight caloric deficit.

You can continue with the same meal plan, just add 250-400 calories and track progress for several weeks.

Just be careful when relying solely on measuring cups, though since the actual intake may vary greatly.