You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    I have two digitial food scales at home and I use them religiously.

One thing to remember when using grams and ml for liquids - if meauring liquids in grams, food scales are set for the weight of water, i.e. 1gm = 1ml. 1 metric cup (250ml) of orange juice is NOT 250g. It's more. That is why I will only use mls for liquids.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Getting close to that 3 week mark!
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've only had my food scale for a couple of weeks, and I have some questions re: weighing for portion sizes. I tend to make big pots of food for dinner, then box the leftovers up in tupperware for lunches over the next few days. What I've been doing is weighing the pot (so I know weight to subtract later), tare-ing, adding each ingredient individually, writing down the weight and tare-ing between each ingredient. It sounds like that's consistent with what ya'll are doing.

So if I'm doing a recipe, and it says "8 servings," do I just divide the total weight by 8 and that's the portion size? This is what I did last night for dinner and then weighed out the leftover portions too. Though it weighed different amounts uncooked vs. cooked - which weight is the correct one? How do you determine how many portions if you're improvising a recipe? Am I totally overthinking this?

When creating a recipe, I always mark the serving as 1 and make sure I know the total weight of it all. Then I can just serve myself however much I want, weigh it, and divide that weight by the total weight of the food to get my percentage of that “1” serving. Ie: I have spaghetti sauce that weighs a total of 35 ounces. I portion out 5 ounces for my dinner. Calculate 5/35. My serving is logged as .143 (always round up). This way, I don’t have to weigh out left overs or go to extra trouble. If you know the total weight of your recipe and weigh your servings, you know what % of the total batch you’re eating.
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    I've only had my food scale for a couple of weeks, and I have some questions re: weighing for portion sizes. I tend to make big pots of food for dinner, then box the leftovers up in tupperware for lunches over the next few days. What I've been doing is weighing the pot (so I know weight to subtract later), tare-ing, adding each ingredient individually, writing down the weight and tare-ing between each ingredient. It sounds like that's consistent with what ya'll are doing.

So if I'm doing a recipe, and it says "8 servings," do I just divide the total weight by 8 and that's the portion size? This is what I did last night for dinner and then weighed out the leftover portions too. Though it weighed different amounts uncooked vs. cooked - which weight is the correct one? How do you determine how many portions if you're improvising a recipe? Am I totally overthinking this?

When creating a recipe, I always mark the serving as 1 and make sure I know the total weight of it all. Then I can just serve myself however much I want, weigh it, and divide that weight by the total weight of the food to get my percentage of that “1” serving. Ie: I have spaghetti sauce that weighs a total of 35 ounces. I portion out 5 ounces for my dinner. Calculate 5/35. My serving is logged as .143 (always round up). This way, I don’t have to weigh out left overs or go to extra trouble. If you know the total weight of your recipe and weigh your servings, you know what % of the total batch you’re eating.

I just learned that it's much easier if you weigh the entire cooked recipe and edit the recipe number of servings as 1oz (or 1 gram). If my total meatloaf weighs say 40oz, when I eat a 4oz portion my number of servings would be 4.
  • horsegalcher59
    horsegalcher59 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2019
    thank you girls! I am feeling EMPOWERED
    now and love all your helpful comments!
  • mister_blobby
    mister_blobby Posts: 24 Member

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

If anyone has any other infographics or videos that are pro-food scale, add 'em!

The best thing about OP's video is that Zed from Police Academy is narrating it.

• quiksylver296
    0sjr0hhxa0h2.jpg
    This morning I did an experiment, as photo shows my breakfast guessed compared to weighing everything is 70 less - that's just one meal. And for someone who's only on a 250 cal deficit a day any deficit could be wiped out easily.
    Just thought I'd share on this thread and bump it for any newbies :smiley:
    ps this morning I didn't use any milk in the porridge, if I had that would have been another 30 cals -so 100 cals more than I thought.

This is awesome! Thanks for that comparison. And you have that dreaded peanut butter in there! ;) So good, so calorific!
  • quiksylver296
    bump
  • KellieMiller315
    KellieMiller315 Posts: 5 Member
    Bump
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Cheap at Canadian Tire at the moment if you want one👍
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I just got my new scale.
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/perfect-portions-digital-nutrition-food-scale/1016983853

The site shows $39.99US for non-members, but it was marked $24.99. I have no idea how accurate the nutritional values are, but reviews look decent, so..better accuracy here I come. :)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Bump.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    edited February 2019
    This may seem like a silly question but, if 1 tbsp (15 fl oz) is a serving of creamer, how much would it weigh? or how would you know. I know that 1 oz of water weighs 1oz of weight but other liquids have different densities. Thanks in advance.

You're right, not all liquids have the same density as water. Some are similar enough as to not really matter and others are significantly different.

The website https://www.aqua-calc.com/ does conversions between weight and volume. It even has info on specific brands.[/quote]
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    So maybe this is the place to ask. I'm cooking some bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts tonight and I know I won't be eating the whole breast since they are HUGE, how in the world do I weight this accurately? I normally weigh my meat raw as it's more accurate but this time I'll only be eating a portion of it and not eating the skin, plus obviously not eating the bone.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Another food weighing question!

When weighing fruit like bananas or oranges, do you peel them first?