Coming up short in calories

I have just started back with eating healthy and wanting weightloss around my midsection (2 c-sections but last was almost 6 years ago). I need to lose about 40 lbs. I know quite a bit of my problem is not eating enough or eating unhealthy calories. I am a very active person but plan to start exercising so I can target areas. I have been trying to come up with meal plans that include everything I need but am still coming up way short in calories without even working out. Does anyone have any suggestions on healthy foods that have more calories or even anything that could help fix this problem? I need help!!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Use a food scale to weigh everything you eat.
    Log everything you eat in your food diary.
    Eat what you enjoy. Stop eating before you get too much.

If you eat a high carb diet, you may find it challenging to eat less. Instead, eat different. Eat some vegetables, some healthy fats and some protein. You'll figure this out.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm a bit confused. Have you followed that meal plan you're trying to come up with yet and feel full before reaching daily calories? Or did you just write the plan on paper?

You can make you meals bigger. If your plan has 80 grams of pasta for a meal use 100, for example.
    Nut butters, avocado... Try drinking your calories - smoothies with higher calorie ingredients like nuts or nut butter, higher calorie fruits...

Also, you can't choose for fat to come off only from your mid-section.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I have just started back with eating healthy and wanting weightloss around my midsection (2 c-sections but last was almost 6 years ago). I need to lose about 40 lbs. I know quite a bit of my problem is not eating enough or eating unhealthy calories. I am a very active person but plan to start exercising so I can target areas . I have been trying to come up with meal plans that include everything I need but am still coming up way short in calories without even working out. Does anyone have any suggestions on healthy foods that have more calories or even anything that could help fix this problem? I need help!!

To the bolded...

Not eating enough calories doesn’t adversely affect weight loss

There is no such thing as “unhealthy calories”. Calories are a unit of measure. They are neither healthy nor unhealthy. They just quantify the amount of energy in the foods you eat.

You can’t exercise to spot reduce or target specific areas.