Achilles Tendon On Both Feet Really Hurts.. Should I Be Concerned?

I just started my fitness journey 21 days ago and have been super motivated and sticking to it very consistently. I follow a 90 day bodyweight exercise program, walk a lot and run sometimes. The back of both ankles, my achilles tendon area, is super achey. I can still walk fine, do jumping jacks, and burpees, run etc but it hurts much more than the aches and pains in the other areas of my body.

Should I be concerned or is it must annoying pain?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Yes, be concerned. It's not something I'd ignore. If you look at my post history, I posted in a very recent thread about Achilles tendon pain. I listed the exercises that helped me. It's likely that you're overdoing things if you're just starting out.
  • mithion
    mithion Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2019
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, be concerned. It's not something I'd ignore. If you look at my post history, I posted in a very recent thread about Achilles tendon pain. I listed the exercises that helped me. It's likely that you're overdoing things if you're just starting out.

Thank you. So it’s probably not actually injured just aggrivated?
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Be concerned. You don’t want an achilles injury. Figure out what’s aggravating it and back off for a bit until it gets better.
  • mithion
    mithion Posts: 78 Member
    I will surely rest to ensure there is no actual injury. There is no swelling, no visual bruising, I can walk and run and put all my weight on each foot and raise up and down on my toes etc. I think it’s just overworked and aggrivated. I will lay off running and other ankle impactful exercises for a few days. It will give me a good excuse to go out and skate instead of running. Inline skating burns a whole lot of calories and is very gentile on all of the joints in your legs and feet(unless you are jumping).
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Do be careful. My Achilles was twitching a bit one day and I carried on sprinting and it tore badly. It's a very bad injury with quite a long recovery time. You don't want it to tear, so look after it! I cannot stress this enough!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Yes, you should be very concerned.

Even microtears, which you wouldn't see and would only cause minor swelling, can have you out of the game for 6 months or more. Achilles tendon injuries take a LONG, LONG time to heal.

I'd start looking at your footware and how you're using your feet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Be concerned. Any pain in the joints or tendons should get checked out.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Switch to a shoe with a greater stack height. Avoid flat (zero drop) shoes (Vibram five finger, Altra, etc). Ask a reputable running shoe store for suggestions. Don't walk barefoot until the irritation goes away. I'm less worried since both Achilles are sore. It's probably your shoes and too quick a build up.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    See a good physiotherapist, they can assess your range of motion, gait and recommend exercises that will help you. Also icing the tendons while you rest from the activities that have aggravated them may be beneficial.