Couch to 5k

Hi! I’ve just started couch to 5k and wondered if anyone else was doing it? Im only on my second run but after reading Eat, Drink, Run I got inspired and signed up for a half marathon but I can’t even run to the end of the street. Any help or pointers would be really appreciated. :) or anyone also doing the program and want to be my accountability buddy let me know.

Caroline

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    There is pretty active and established group for c25k:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I did it three times (I tend to run in spring/summer and stop in fall/winter), always worked :)
    On week 3 now for the upcoming season :)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I've completed the program twice in the past few years and really recommend it. My advice for someone new would be to take the scheduled rest days and if you have trouble completing the run portions then run slower.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats! I hope you have awhile until your half. Do couch to 10k (the first half is the same as C25k) then find a half marathon training program to take you the rest of the way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi! I’ve just started couch to 5k and wondered if anyone else was doing it? Im only on my second run but after reading Eat, Drink, Run I got inspired and signed up for a half marathon but I can’t even run to the end of the street. Any help or pointers would be really appreciated. :) or anyone also doing the program and want to be my accountability buddy let me know.

Caroline

When is the half?
  • misspickles78
    misspickles78 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi,
    I really enjoy the C25K nhs programme and find the podcasts that accompany it particularly motivating- if you like listening to music when running. It’s good to learn to run with and without music but I find on days when I lack motivation, the podcasts can help spur me on...
    Go for it and good luck...
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I’ve never done specifically C25K but I’ve done other running programs. I’ve found it important to be patient and stick to the program. Sometimes, I have a day that I’m feel really awesome and want to go further than I’m scheduled for but it always just seems to mess up the rest of my schedule.

Oh and get good shoes! If you haven’t already find a local running store and they will help you find the best shoe for your feet. It’s super important!

I’m also doing my first half-marathon this year! It’s in September. How far out is yours?

Also, my friend who runs marathons has told me she couldn’t even run 1 mile when she started training for her first half so you can definitely do this! Just takes putting in the time to train :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'd also ask when your half is. A half is a great goal, but it does take time to train for one. Depending on how much time you have and what your base fitness level is, you may be looking at a run/walk strategy. There's nothing wrong with that--I only ran the first nine miles of my first half, and then walked most of the rest.
  • Thewaffle86
    Thewaffle86 Posts: 52 Member

Caroline

When is the half?

It isn't until September because I am so unfit I think it will take me that long to get there. I am determined to do it though!
  • Thewaffle86
    I’ve never done specifically C25K but I’ve done other running programs. I’ve found it important to be patient and stick to the program. Sometimes, I have a day that I’m feel really awesome and want to go further than I’m scheduled for but it always just seems to mess up the rest of my schedule.

Oh and get good shoes! If you haven’t already find a local running store and they will help you find the best shoe for your feet. It’s super important!

I’m also doing my first half-marathon this year! It’s in September. How far out is yours?

Also, my friend who runs marathons has told me she couldn’t even run 1 mile when she started training for her first half so you can definitely do this! Just takes putting in the time to train :)

Thanks so much :) I did go and get some at a running shop. They told me my ankles bend in so I have got really supportive ones.

I am in September too! Where is yours? Mine is in Richmond.
  • Thewaffle86
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    There is pretty active and established group for c25k:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I did it three times (I tend to run in spring/summer and stop in fall/winter), always worked :)
    On week 3 now for the upcoming season :)

Thanks for linking, I will check it out now :smiley:
  • TavistockToad

Caroline

When is the half?

It isn't until September because I am so unfit I think it will take me that long to get there. I am determined to do it though!

not running to a half marathon in less than 9 months is quite a goal, good luck!

this group is good once you get into your longer runs:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • Thewaffle86

Caroline

When is the half?

not running to a half marathon in less than 9 months is quite a goal, good luck!

this group is good once you get into your longer runs:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

Thank you! Will check it out.

I realise it is optimistic but nothing ventured, nothing gained :smiley:
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    I'm doing C25K right now, I'm on week 3. I'm planning to continue on to the C210K and run a 10K in March. After that I will move into a half marathon training plan and run a half in either June or September (or both). I've done several half marathons and a 25k, but it's been nearly 3 years since I've done more than an 10k. I hadn't been running consistently and decided to start from the beginning. Feel free to add me if you want :smiley:
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    I am not doing it "per se" but I'm using their style to mold my cardio workouts at the gym (this week I'm walking 4 minutes, jogging/running 1". 2 days a week I do it for 25 minutes and once a week I do the 5K loop on the treadmill. I'm not signing up for any marathons but I've never even been able to run a mile so I'm working on that :) Good luck!
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Hi Caroline,
    First off - Good for you. I've been running for 11 years now. I ran a half marathon early on and injured myself in the training. A lady I work with is running a half marathon in 4 weeks and she too has injured herself to the point she may have to cancel her race. You have to build slow. Increase slowly. You will notice your heart will get stronger faster than your muscles so be careful. You will feel fine right up until that gotcha moment then its over. For myself and the lady I work with it was our exterior IT band. The pain was just outside of the knee cap. Another key point that the older me has realized is cross training and massage/stretching are very important. My knees used to hurt until I realized that any one tight leg muscle will pull your knee out of alignment and thus the pain. Make sure to work you core muscles they will stabilize you and help reduce risk of injury. I study running and have coached several of my friends into running. Feel free to friend me and ask any questions if you want. I'm currently scheduled to run a 5k in April. I'm attempting to run it in 25 minutes or less.
    Good luck to you.

Tom
  • Rpp1986
    Rpp1986 Posts: 10 Member
    I completed Week 1 run 2 yesterday! Good Luck!
  • TavistockToad
    @Thewaffle86 how is training going?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I started “running” 7 years ago. I was a morbidly obese smoker who needed to lose 100 pounds. I also started with the goal of running a half marathon I could maybe go about 10 seconds before I had to stop and rest before I could walk before I could try again.

Slowly and surely over time, I got a little better and could go a little longer. I enjoyed running, the stress relief, the “Me” time, the food...

Between assorted life circumstances and injuries, it took 4 years before I finally ran a half marathon. I just ran my first full marathon last year.

It is possible. It takes time. It would have taken me less time had i not insisted on trying to do far more than I should have - which was fine - until it wasn’t.

I hope your training is going well and that you’re having fun and enjoy yourself. Above all else-we run because we like it.

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited February 2019

Caroline

What I don't like about C25K plans are...

1. they are based on time and not distance.
    2. they assume that beginning runners should be able to run a 5k in 30 minutes.

If you signed up for a half marathon and want to work your way up to that, then you may want to consider starting with something like this...

https://halhigdon.com/training-programs/5k-training/novice-5k/

then this...

https://halhigdon.com/training-programs/10k-training/novice-10k/

then this...

https://halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

scroll down to see the schedule. You can copy and paste the schedules into a spread sheet and use it to track your progress.

Also, since they are based on distance and running at a conversational pace, it will allow your joints and muscles to better develop without injuring yourself.

The 5k plan is 8 weeks
    the 10k plan is 8 weeks
    the half marathon plan is 12 weeks
    for a total of 28 weeks of training

This should give you more than enough time to train for the half marathon, even if you have to extend the number of weeks in each program.

Just something to think about.
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    I've done it a few times when I've fallen off the wagon and it is such a great program. I've done both the 5K and 10K programs and every week you will feel motivated and accomplished. I highly recommend it. Enjoy