Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

BMI CONTROVERSY‼️🤬

Replies

• WW1984
    WW1984 Posts: 145 Member
    He is 6'5 and 260 (according to Google search results), which is a BMI of 30.8. That's *barely* obese (the cutoff is 30).[/quote]

Gotcha!
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    edited January 2019
    I think that we are all agreed that BMI is a rough approximation for how thin or not so thin we are. Adolphe Quetelet developed it because he wanted a simple answer. No calculations are needed, just view a point on a graph.

He probably knew of other calculations which gave better results, I've seen at least half a dozen over the years. The problem with these methods is that calculating things by hand took ages and if you have ever done long division, you know that it's error prone. Imagine a formula which required 5 long division, multiplication, and power calculations. No thanks.

So BMI was created. Why it exists now is hard to understand, adding waist circumference doesn't add much time to an examination and a webpage or spreadsheet can do the maths for you. I think that pretty much guaranteed The Rock would not be classified as obese under a waist circumference, height and weight system.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I suppose body fat ratio would be another one to use
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited January 2019
    I suppose body fat ratio would be another one to use

I think people confuse BMI with body fat percentage.

When they read BMI, many erroneously think body fat.

While there is likely a strong correlation, they are not the same thing.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    jonewe05 wrote: »
    Well BMI tends to overstate how fat tall and muscular people are, and understates how fat short and non-muscular people are.

If you're a female, your BMI is almost certainly understating how fat you actually are.

And what are you basing that on? How is it that you are seeing enough women's BMI, body fat %, and health info in order to make that determination?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    jonewe05 wrote: »
    Well BMI tends to overstate how fat tall and muscular people are, and understates how fat short and non-muscular people are.

If you're a female, your BMI is almost certainly understating how fat you actually are.

From Livestrong:

"This formula states that adult body fat percentage is equal to (1.39 x BMI) + (0.16 x age) - (10.34 x gender) - 9, with gender equal to 1 for men and 0 for women to account for the lower body fat percentage of men."

The formula itself accounts for the difference in body fat between men and women.