Fitness Trackers

Options
gdarling345
gdarling345 Posts: 16 Member
I'm debating whether or not to take the plunge and get me a fitness tracker.

My main concern is spending out on something that I may not use too much as my phone already tracks steps and GPS for running etc... I've got a few questions on it:

1) Do you own one, and if so which one?
2) Has it made a big impact on your life and help to keep you motivated?
3) What high street offers have you seen that are worth taking note of (if any)?

Replies

• _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi 👋

1) yes, used to have a Vivosmart, now have a Fenix
    2) yes and no, I was active anyway and used a Garmin on the bike. The motivation of wearables for me was more the smart watch aspect and step tracking. I moved up to the fenix for multi-sport logging and having all my requirements met by one device (and the battery life is awesome!).
    I also love data and the Fenix provides more than enough to feed my analytical mind.
    3) dunno, not looked since I got mine. Google is your friend for this one.

In terms of general wearables you’ll probably find that the GPS is better than your phone. You’ll probably also get HR and a few extra bits that’ll help you with your running and understanding your training.

Most importantly get one you like, if you don’t like it you won’t use it.
  • Peter_P53
    Peter_P53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently (this week!) bought a Fitbit Charge 3. It's early days, so I can't say if it motivates me, but I get excited when I hit my steps and activity targets for the day. I also like the way it logs my sleep pattern, gives me heart rate data and it's just there on my wrist, I don't need to start or stop any phone based apps.

I used to rely on Google Fit to log activity, but I didn't always take it out when I went for a walk so it wasn't always recording activity (see comment above about the Fitbit being on my wrist). I'm also like mr_b above and I love data; the Fitbit certainly provides data.

There aren't any special deals at the moment for my model, but I think some of the other Fitbits have some deals.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options

1) Do you own one, and if so which one?

Garmin Vivoactive HR (now superceded by the Vivoactive 3) I chose this over Fitbit as the equivalent Fitbit was not waterproof (turned out neither was my first Garmin but they replaced it quickly and free of charge out of warranty) and because GPS was built in rather than relying on phone. DC Rainmaker's blog is a good source for comparison info.
    2) Has it made a big impact on your life and help to keep you motivated?

I couldn't say if it was just that I knew I needed a lifestyle change or if the watch helped but it definitely helps motivate me to get off my *kitten* when I am at work. I have steadily improved my fitness whilst I have owned it and I am a datageek so I love all the info I get from it.
    3) What high street offers have you seen that are worth taking note of (if any)?

I haven't seen any but Amazon is a good place to start and check out google shopping comparison.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don’t have one, my phone tells me all I need to know and I use Runkeeper to log runs, Strava for my bike.

However, you may want to save your money....

There is some interesting research that suggests owning a tracker actually has the opposite effect to the desired effect!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2553448

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/21/fitness-trackers-may-not-aid-weight-loss-study-finds
  • gdarling345
    gdarling345 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    plantboy2 wrote: »
    I don’t have one, my phone tells me all I need to know and I use Runkeeper to log runs, Strava for my bike.

However, you may want to save your money....

There is some interesting research that suggests owning a tracker actually has the opposite effect to the desired effect!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2553448

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/21/fitness-trackers-may-not-aid-weight-loss-study-finds

I've looked into a few of these reports (studying and having access to online resources is great!) - seems a few have shown some negative results. That said they seem to point towards de-motivation for some looking at weight-loss, but less evidence for those using data for overall fitness and performance stuff.

Like you, I'm happy enough with my phone at the moment - one draw of a tracker though, is that there might be less need to use the phone as much and less pressure to make sure everything is logged.

It's frustrating as for the elements that interest me I'm looking at £150+. Quite the investment if it's not something I'll get a great amount of value from.
  • DwerryMouse
    DwerryMouse Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and find it’s great for tracking cardio exercise. Because it captures heart rate I think it’s more likely to give an accurate estimate on calories burned. Plus you can link the apps to it automatically logs the extra calories earned :)
  • Mark_on_a_Mission
    Mark_on_a_Mission Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ive had one for the last 4 or 5 years and it has made a huge difference. I sync it with MFP so I can 'earn' extra calories, and seeing my daily steps motivates me to get out for a walk if Im not at my target. I started with the charge HR and am now on the Blaze. I wouldnt be without it :)
  • luaP852350
    luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and find it’s great for tracking cardio exercise. Because it captures heart rate I think it’s more likely to give an accurate estimate on calories burned. Plus you can link the apps to it automatically logs the extra calories earned :)

Does your Fitbit link onto here ok ? 👍
  • henacynflin
    henacynflin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have found them useful in helping me lose weight. I am a bit of an addict for gadgets and this unfortunately means I've tried a few (they are not cheap). I tend to come back to Garmin as it is possibly the best for exercise and did link in with mfp and Strava (as well as office 365 which is surprisingly helpful)