How slow is too slow?

Is running 3.5 mph-3.8 mph as a beginner too slow? I plan on increasing speed as the weeks go by but find I need to start pretty slow. I prefer running outside where I can run at my own pace without worrying about mph, but winter in Illinois is preventing that.

Replies

• stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    I agree. For a beginning runner, if the C25K app says to "run" it really means jog - ideally something faster than walking. My own personal experience was to use a heart rate monitor and calculate the fat burning zone - see this MFP blog post. Example - I'm 42 so my goal is usually to get into the 107 to 125 heart rate zone.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-target-your-heart-rate-get-into-the-fat-burning-zone/

I ran into an issue years ago in weeks 7/8/9 of C25K where I wasn't able to complete the distance running. It was because my heart rate was way too high, so once I slowed it down I was able to do the full distance at around 4.7mph and didn't worry about improving that until I finished the program.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    No such thing as too slow for a beginner. In fact, what you think is too slow is probably faster than ideal. Speed comes later, first you have to allow your body to get used to it and build up endurance.

Exactly.
  • frannie_h20
    frannie_h20 Posts: 26 Member
    Too slow is still sat on the sofa. As long as you get out and do it you're winning 👍
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    Standing still is too slow, anything above that is good.
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    I have the opposite problem and know I'm going too fast..... But, don't know how to make myself go slower! I was a sprinter as a teen and learning to go slow and steady is tough!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Sing! If you can't sing, you're running too fast!
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    edited February 2019
    For someone going too fast I would recommend a heart rate monitor to help pace yourself. Another idea is to count your cadence (steps per minute) and try to find a running playlist with songs with a specific beats per minute (like 180)