How do competitive eaters stay so thin?!

2»

Replies

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Well he's not doing challenges weekly, so I wouldn't really say he can out train a bad diet. He goes many weeks sometimes a month or more between challenges. Not-to-mention he could be fasting and/or running low cal for days before and after challenges too balance things. Who knows, maybe on top of that his metabolism is crazy fast.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    Well he's not doing challenges weekly, so I wouldn't really say he can out train a bad diet. He goes many weeks sometimes a month or more between challenges. Not-to-mention he could be fasting and/or running low cal for days before and after challenges too balance things. Who knows, maybe on top of that his metabolism is crazy fast.

Oh true and I see his usual everyday diet is pretty good on the normal days. But still....he did 50,000 in 2 days lol That's gotta add some lbs! lol Assuming his maintenance is maybe 3,000 that would still add 12.5 real fat lbs!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Breakdowns have been done of the 10k calorie challenge. It isn't that you eat 10k calories and you gain automatically 3lbs of pure fat.

So my normal TDEE is 2100 cals. Lets say to prepare for the challenge, I eat 500 below that for a week, so 3500 cals in the bank. Then my normal TDEE for the challenge day is 2100 + 1000 from the thermic effect of food. So now we are at 3500 + 2100 + 1000. So now I have 6600 cals of 10000 gone off the bat. Then I am left with 3400. A large percentage will be turned to fat, but some to muscle. No big deal, just go back to the 500 cal a day deficit (probably way easy because who wants to eat like a horse the day after that!) for a week and back where I started.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    I think Matt Stone talked somewhere about his diet before competitive eating, is almost a day fast of just few fruits and protein powder.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    I know this is an older thread, but I have been watching some of Erik's videos on Youtube. It's amazing how much food he can put away during his challenges.

I remember reading an article awhile ago where he stated that during his bout with anorexia he ate a lot of vegetables that expanded his stomach.

I have subscribed to Matt Stonie & will watch some of his videos another day.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited January 2019
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I've honestly always assumed most of them are hitting the ipecac syrup hard once they get home. Can you imagine the damn pain? Ugggh

In a lot of Erik's videos it shows him buying Tums & Lactaid.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    They track calories....
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    I have never been a competitive eater, but until I hit my mid 30s I could eat MASSIVE amounts of food and I ate like that every day. And I was tiny. 5'4 and I weighed around 50 kgs.
    As a teenager I used to eat way more than my Dad lol. I could easily eat a whole chicken myself. I think I just had a super duper fast metabolism!
    Then mid 30s I started getting fat damnit.
    I still have a far bigger appetite than most but I probably eat half of what I used to, so I think my metabolism is still pretty fast. I will still eat a whole pizza and a garlic bread plus dessert. I just can't do that once a week anymore.
    I'd say for most competitive eaters it's about metabolism otherwise it would be just awful doing a competition!