Where did this weight come from? Poop,water,food weight, muscle, or fat?

So AFTER my workouts, I usually weigh anywhere ranging from 153-155 (sometimes 156). This is on average after I started my "I think I'm lean bulking phase".

However for the past 3-4 days and today, my weight skyrocket to high 157's to 159 I think. And I dont think I ate too much sodium or something I'm not aware of that would cause water retention other than the fact that I eat HUGE food right before bed as my school schedule does not allow me to eat for a long time(10 minute lunch break) and breakfast isnt available because of club prior to school starting at 4:30

In short, my schedule is tough on me so I try to follow your guys' advice, which is extremely great, but sometimes life just gets the best of you
So my eating regimen looks like this:
Get home 3:10, prep food and eat till 4:20ish.
Walk to the gym and warm up till 5ish
Finish workout and cooldown etc till 7ish
Get home,shower dishes till 730
BIGGEST meal of the day till whenever and then I finish some homework and then I go get more food right before I go to bed.

Sorry for the long "what I do in a day"

So I'm curious as to what this weight really is?

Also is my meal before my workout too rushed? To clarify, does it give enough time for my body to use that food for energy or am I too quick and am basically running on nothing for my workout?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    When is the last time you pooped?
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    When is the last time you pooped?
    30 minutes before the post
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    It's probably mostly caused by the food not having as much time to digest before you weigh. Depending on whether or not you are in a deficit, gaining muscle, etc., your food becomes poop, water, fat, muscle, carbon dioxide which you breathe out, and so on. So it's difficult to say exactly what state it's in by morning when you weigh yourself. If you are still eating the same number of calories it should shake down the same way, given time for your body to adjust.

As far as eating before your workout is concerned, if you don't feel sick from a full stomach, or loggy from too much blood going to your digestion, when you workout, you're okay. Carbs, which are your body's preferred source of fuel, digest very quickly, usually hitting your bloodstream as glucose between fifteen minutes and an hour after eating. Then the glucose you don't need gets tucked away in your muscles and liver for later use. Protein, which is used to build muscle, doesn't get digested as quickly, but recent research has found that the idea of a special "window" after working out during which you need to eat protein for it to be most effective, is largely a myth. Your body will happily digest those proteins and build muscles while you sleep. So no need to stress about it. Go by how you feel as far as meal timing.

• thelostbreed02
    It's probably mostly caused by the food not having as much time to digest before you weigh. Depending on whether or not you are in a deficit, gaining muscle, etc., your food becomes poop, water, fat, muscle, carbon dioxide which you breathe out, and so on. So it's difficult to say exactly what state it's in by morning when you weigh yourself. If you are still eating the same number of calories it should shake down the same way, given time for your body to adjust.

As far as eating before your workout is concerned, if you don't feel sick from a full stomach, or loggy from too much blood going to your digestion, when you workout, you're okay. Carbs, which are your body's preferred source of fuel, digest very quickly, usually hitting your bloodstream as glucose between fifteen minutes and an hour after eating. Then the glucose you don't need gets tucked away in your muscles and liver for later use. Protein, which is used to build muscle, doesn't get digested as quickly, but recent research has found that the idea of a special "window" after working out during which you need to eat protein for it to be most effective, is largely a myth. Your body will happily digest those proteins and build muscles while you sleep. So no need to stress about it. Go by how you feel as far as meal timing.

Thanks! But considering different carbs. Like for example wont a piece of rice cake digest/ provide energy faster than oatmeal(even the package says "provides slow long term energy")
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm sorry, your weight "skyrocketed" from sometimes 156lbs to 157-159? 🤔
  • rheddmobile

Thanks! But considering different carbs. Like for example wont a piece of rice cake digest/ provide energy faster than oatmeal(even the package says "provides slow long term energy")

Well, I'm a type 2 diabetic, which means I get to test my blood sugar often after meals to get an idea of how quickly different carbs spike my blood sugar. While it's true that a Coke will hit your blood faster than a plate of pasta, the difference isn't as much as you might think. Unless you have reactive hypoglycemia (your blood sugar goes up and then crashes suddenly after quick acting carbs) it's probably not important for you to worry about, compared to the more immediate question of how different foods feel on your stomach when you exercise.
  • thelostbreed02
    I'm sorry, your weight "skyrocketed" from sometimes 156lbs to 157-159? 🤔

156 was my highest on this "bulk" which happened once. If you want to be practical I usually weighed 153.5 after a workout
  • thelostbreed02

Well, I'm a type 2 diabetic, which means I get to test my blood sugar often after meals to get an idea of how quickly different carbs spike my blood sugar. While it's true that a Coke will hit your blood faster than a plate of pasta, the difference isn't as much as you might think. Unless you have reactive hypoglycemia (your blood sugar goes up and then crashes suddenly after quick acting carbs) it's probably not important for you to worry about, compared to the more immediate question of how different foods feel on your stomach when you exercise.

Thanks!!
  • thelostbreed02
    Not saying the weight is a bad thing but will this go away or is this the "fluff" that occurs on a bulk that will go right away on a cut?
    If this is the "fluff" why did it happen so instantaneously
  • rheddmobile
    If it happened instantaneously, particularly after starting a new workout routine, it's probably partly water retention. Your muscles hang on to extra water to make repairs.

It takes 3,500 calories above maintenance to make one pound of fat, aka "fluff." You know from your logging that you didn't eat 10,000 extra calories.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Not saying the weight is a bad thing but will this go away or is this the "fluff" that occurs on a bulk that will go right away on a cut?

You saw my response right?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited January 2019

Your weight comprises fat, muscle, tissue, water, food, waste, etc.. It's in a constant state of flux.

Weigh yourself, drink some water, weigh again and you'll be up on the scale. Weigh yourself, exercise, and weigh again and you'll likely be up on the scale or you could be lower from water loss.

Fat will come from a consistent calorie surplus over an extended period of time. The rest is normal fluctuations that you're going to have regardless of how you're eating and what you're doing.

Like @jdog022 said, wake up, pee, weigh and log it. Then ignore the scale until the next day under the same circumstances. Track the trend, not the day to day changes.