Calories - How many to eat to lose the weight?

New to all of this. I have been given a daily goal of 2100 calories. Should I be eating all 2100 calories or is it ok to eat less? I have been eating less, I have upped my exercise to around 5 miles a day walking but I don't seem to lose any weight. I am a type 2 diabetic if that has any impact.

Please help!!!

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Let MFP do all the calculation and trust them. It is easily done and it works. Is you MD aware that your are thinking to introduce a healthier life style, healthier meal plan?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    make sure you are weighing and logging food - depending on your height/weight - 2100 could easily be in the realm for losing weight (as someone wise once said, he who eats the most and still loses weight is the winner) - but you need to have accuracy in logging
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Eat the number MFP gives you, but make sure you are being as accurate as possible, both with calories consumed, and with calories burned. If it's only been a short time, give it at least a few weeks before you change anything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    New to all of this. I have been given a daily goal of 2100 calories. Should I be eating all 2100 calories or is it ok to eat less? I have been eating less, I have upped my exercise to around 5 miles a day walking but I don't seem to lose any weight. I am a type 2 diabetic if that has any impact.

Please help!!!

how long have you not lost weight for?
  • danricketts10
    danricketts10 Posts: 10 Member

Please help!!!

I have not lost anything for a month now
  • TavistockToad

Please help!!!

do you weigh your food with scales?

when did you increase the walking?
  • danricketts10

Please help!!!

I use a scale to measure out the food. I have changed to a healthier diet and have increased the walking for about 3 and a half weeks. I have been about 400 calories below my 2100 calories each day.
  • TavistockToad

Please help!!!

I use a scale to measure out the food. I have changed to a healthier diet and have increased the walking for about 3 and a half weeks. I have been about 400 calories below my 2100 calories each day.

can you open your diary?
  • danricketts10
    I use a scale to measure out the food. I have changed to a healthier diet and have increased the walking for about 3 and a half weeks. I have been about 400 calories below my 2100 calories each day.[/quote]

can you open your diary? [/quote]

Yes I can get the previous days calories
  • TavistockToad

Yes I can get the previous days calories

no, i mean can you open it now for us to look at what you're logging.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Like most have stated above me, weight loss really boils down to eating in a caloric deficit, MFP is pretty good at doing that for you. The way it works. find out what your body takes in on a daily basis to maintain. with what you stated is 2,100.. I usually subtract 500 and eat within that number. I personally got into intermittent fasting and it has worked great for me. I skip (Break)fast and start eating at 12-8pm, then fast until 12 the next day. Welcome to MFP and hope this helps

I am assuming 2100 already includes the deficit. But could be wrong.
  • danricketts10
    Yes the 2100 is the target that MFP have set me.
  • TavistockToad
    Like most have stated above me, weight loss really boils down to eating in a caloric deficit, MFP is pretty good at doing that for you. The way it works. find out what your body takes in on a daily basis to maintain. with what you stated is 2,100.. I usually subtract 500 and eat within that number. I personally got into intermittent fasting and it has worked great for me. I skip (Break)fast and start eating at 12-8pm, then fast until 12 the next day. Welcome to MFP and hope this helps

MFP should already give you a deficit, if you set it up right, so you don't need to subtract anything from the number that it gives you.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Yes the 2100 is the target that MFP have set me.

Then one part of your equation is wrong (or both). Either you’re over estimating the calories burned from your exercise (walking) or you’re under estimating the amount of calories eating (which is why others want to peek at your diary). Or you’re doing both but I doubt that because you didn’t mention you’ve gained weight.

What’s your rate of loss set to in MFP? .5 lb a week? 1lb? 2lbs?