When to eat breakfast? What to eat?

kooshajan
kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
My gym time is 5:30am for 45 mins each day. I don’t know if I should be eating breakfast prior or following my work out (Cardio for 30 mins followed by weights for 15 mins) or really what I should be eating? My days schedule is super busy so I don’t have a lot of time for cooking. Unless there is something someone can suggest that I pre cook? What about a protein shake of some sort? And would it be best to have a protein intake from a supplement (any suggestions?) or by natural food sources. It’s been a long time since I’ve done all this..could use any guidance and advice-thanks!

Replies

• fionaschipke
    fionaschipke Posts: 5 Member
    Why don't you experiment?? The first week/fortnight you could exercise then have breakfast. The next week/fortnight you could have half breakfast before your workout and half after and see what works best for you?

I personally find it is best for me to eat something before working out no matter how early that is - I definitely have more energy. I eat a range of things pre exercise - rice and chicken (pre-cooked), banana and protein smoothie, breakfast cereal and greek yogurt, etc. I am able to exercise after eating pretty much anything but I think some people find that certain food feels uncomfortable for them?

Let us know what works for you. :-)
  • cjb2290
    cjb2290 Posts: 2 Member
    I usually try to eat something before working out. Even if its just a yogurt and some blueberries or a ricecake and PB
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Totally personal preference for what allows a good workout.

For cardio your muscles have enough stores to do probably 1.5-2 hrs no problem - your brain on the other hand if blood sugar is low may not allow pushing it.

That applies more to lifting which is higher glucose usage and from the blood stream first.

So whatever amount allows a good workout, but not so much or so close in time it makes you sick and can't get a good workout.

The what will fit right in there for your preference.

May even be able to confirm a good snack before bed and blood sugar isn't a problem at all doing a fasted workout.

I've done a heavy lower body lifting session followed by a 2 hr bike ride fasted, starting at 6 pm, from the prior day midnight eating last.
    So ability to do a fasted workout can also be what you get your body used to.