New to the Gym

Can someone help?
I have just joined a gym and have no idea what I'm doing, my goal is to loose weight build up stamina and gain muscle (Don't want much I know) today I did my couch - 5k run on the treadmill, about 750 metres on a rowing machine and some weight machines, but have no idea if less weight with more reps is better than high weight with less reps, how many sets I should be doing or if I need to do more cardio please help

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I suggest you talk to one of the fitness professionals at your gym. Certainly in the UK, most gyms strongly suggest that you don't use equipment without having been shown what to do and how to use the machine. I do fewer reps at higher weight to tone up. Whenever I've had a programme put together, it's always been 10-15 reps (depending on the machine) x three sets, with a 45 second-1 minute rest between each set. I've also been told that the last 2-3 reps in each set should require a bit of effort and determination to complete. When I can do that comfortably, I increase the weight.

Consider spending some time on a cross-trainer (elliptical) too. And don't use the same weight machines every day - vary your routine. The gym instructors can put together a plan that'll give you plenty of variety.

Good Luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Look in the "gaining/body building forum" even though I know that's not your specific goal. There is a great thread "Which Lifting Program is RIght for You?"
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Look in the "gaining/body building forum" even though I know that's not your specific goal. There is a great thread "Which Lifting Program is RIght for You?"

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1