Muscle soreness after any form of exercise

Hey guys, for the last month or so, I have committed to exercising at least 3-4 times a week (be it walking, running, basketball or just some bodyweight exercises). The thing is, it doesn't matter how long the duration of the exercise is, how intense it is or if it is the first exercise of the week with 4 rest days before or not, I get extreme muscle soreness in the muscles that work on that form of exercise. I don't know why it happens, but for example, sometimes after I play basketball for 20 minutes (or even less), the next day I will barely be able to walk with severe soreness in my legs, back hips and arms. Same with walking (although the duration is usually longer than with basketball but not as intense). Now, I would understand this if I was only beginning to exercise, but I have been literally doing it for a few years now and the problems have just started to come up in the last few months. Does anyone have any idea what the reason could be?

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    A lot of things can effect the presence and severity of DOMS. Are you warming up and cooling down? Getting adequate rest? Hydrating? Fueling your body properly?
    For me personally, I get DOMS way worse and more frequently when eating at a deficit rather than maintenance/surplus, as do many others. Could that be it?
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    A lot of things can effect the presence and severity of DOMS. Are you warming up and cooling down? Getting adequate rest? Hydrating? Fueling your body properly?
    For me personally, I get DOMS way worse and more frequently when eating at a deficit rather than maintenance/surplus, as do many others. Could that be it?

Honestly, it might be the deficit. I don't log my food anymore (since I am not losing weight atm), but I do feel like I am not eating too much (so maybe I might be eating too little)
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Icy_Fox wrote: »

Honestly, it might be the deficit. I don't log my food anymore (since I am not losing weight atm), but I do feel like I am not eating too much (so maybe I might be eating too little)

It's certainly possible then. Track your calories and see where you're at. Even when I'm not losing weight I still track because I don't want to risk under eating and having my hard work go to waste. If you discover you're eating at a deficit then aim for maintenance and see what happens. If it turns out you're not eating at a deficit then up your protein and see if that helps.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Are you taking any prescription meds?
  • Icy_Fox
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Are you taking any prescription meds?

No, no meds
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    I assume you havent done exercise for years and you are using all the groups that dont get any attention. I think this is normal and I get it. Like when you are in an awkward position for 20mins and you get up and bits of body aching. I would def go on youtube and start a stretching routine try Bodyfit by Amy. I am have post exercise malaise due to slight CFS/Fibro so my recovery is slower than many. Look at diet see if there is anything making body inflammatory - poss if you have IBS/fibro and slight intolerance to certain foods.
  • Icy_Fox
    I assume you havent done exercise for years and you are using all the groups that dont get any attention. I think this is normal and I get it. Like when you are in an awkward position for 20mins and you get up and bits of body aching. I would def go on youtube and start a stretching routine try Bodyfit by Amy. I am have post exercise malaise due to slight CFS/Fibro so my recovery is slower than many. Look at diet see if there is anything making body inflammatory - poss if you have IBS/fibro and slight intolerance to certain foods.

Nope, I have been exercising for a few years, just said I am getting back into it more seriously. I always do warm up and do stretches pre and post workout so that won't be the case
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Are you losing weight currently?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Random thoughts - do you take magnesium? Vitamin D? Eating adequate fats and protein? Does Tylenol or Advil help? Do you foam roll?
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    are you eating low carb? i have read some articles/studies that DOMS is worse for people eating low carb. if so...maybe do some research to see if that is true.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Nope, I have been exercising for a few years, just said I am getting back into it more seriously. I always do warm up and do stretches pre and post workout so that won't be the case

What do you mean by getting back into it more seriously. What does that look like in terms of what you're doing now vs what you were doing perviously?
  • Icy_Fox

Nope, slowly trying to get myself into building some muscle mass, but have to fix my diet first...
  • Icy_Fox
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Random thoughts - do you take magnesium? Vitamin D? Eating adequate fats and protein? Does Tylenol or Advil help? Do you foam roll?

I don't take any supplements, and I don't think I actually get enough protein, but I am working on fixing this now
  • Icy_Fox
    karen8787 wrote: »
    are you eating low carb? i have read some articles/studies that DOMS is worse for people eating low carb. if so...maybe do some research to see if that is true.

Nope, no low carb
  • Icy_Fox
    aokoye wrote: »

What do you mean by getting back into it more seriously. What does that look like in terms of what you're doing now vs what you were doing perviously?

I used to do bodyweight training every once in a while back then (but I still got soreness after it), but I am trying to do it consistently 2-3 times a week now for the last two months and I still get just as sore as I did before...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Nope, slowly trying to get myself into building some muscle mass, but have to fix my diet first...

So you're not in a deficit then
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    My guesses are more protein and foam roll! Consider adding yoga to your routine too. I’ll echo what others said about being in a deficit and staying hydrated etc. You may also need to look at the quality of the foods you eat. You can eat at a deficit and still get lots of nutrients to keep your body nourished to recover from the workouts.

If adjusting your diet doesn’t fix it, maybe talk to a doctor about if any blood levels etc. are off. You shouldn’t still be getting sore all the time like you’re describing. Easy workouts should have little to no recovery time.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    I had this problem a while back, for me it was that I wasn’t getting enough protein. I was sore 24/7 for years. Even opening doors and sitting down hurt lol. Finally started tracking and it went away pretty quickly. Maybe log for a bit and make sure you’re meeting your macros?
  • Icy_Fox

So you're not in a deficit then

Not intentionally, though I may be, but I am working on fixing my diet atm
  • Icy_Fox
    asochable wrote: »
    My guesses are more protein and foam roll! Consider adding yoga to your routine too. I’ll echo what others said about being in a deficit and staying hydrated etc. You may also need to look at the quality of the foods you eat. You can eat at a deficit and still get lots of nutrients to keep your body nourished to recover from the workouts.

If adjusting your diet doesn’t fix it, maybe talk to a doctor about if any blood levels etc. are off. You shouldn’t still be getting sore all the time like you’re describing. Easy workouts should have little to no recovery time.

Foam roll? What is that?