Maintaining your weight after a liposuction

I plan on getting my fat on my stomach, hips and back sucked out of me. Anyone here had a liposuction and maintained it? Any tips, plans on how to maintain? How long will my body be in starvation mode after the surgery?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnnaLoboda wrote: »
    A doctor and a personal trainer told me this would happen. Also, I had my body go through starvation mode before and I gained more weight than I’ve ever had.

I hope that you aren't still working with either of them. It's just not physiologically what happens.

As for not gaining after the procedure, you need to keep your calories at a maintenance level. When are you having the lipo? And have you been tracking calories here? If you've been tracking calories, what has been happening with your weight?

Don't forget that there will be a lot of swelling so you will probably gain weight immediately after the procedure . . . water weight.

Absolutely, and the swelling can take a long time to resolve.
  • docsab1968
    docsab1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Lipo will not result in significant weight loss. It is helpful for removing stubborn fat in areas where dieting and weight loss or exercise do not change. After the operation it can take up to a year for all the swelling to go down and the final result to be exposed. If you overeat you'll still gain fat in the areas that weren't treated.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    edited January 2019
    I won't even begin to pretend to know enough about medicine or science to tell you what you absolutely should and should not do.

What I do know about is my personal struggle yo-yoing back and forth and having an unhealthy opinion of myself because I let my weight consume my every waking thought.

That said, I have never considered lipo once in my life because of several reasons. The main one is that if I am the kind of person who will overindulge enough to get into the shape that I'm at in the first place, then I have no business considering a "quick fix" until I actually get my eating habits under control first. Other reasons include fear of complications, the grueling healing process, and potentially gaining fat in other areas that could make me look "unbalanced."

I know it's not the kind of thing you want to hear, but I love this community because they are honest about what works and what doesn't. MFP'ers will try steer you in the right direction (and sometimes it's snarky), but when you're going the right way then there's nothing but love and support. Also, there's very little tolerance for pseudo-science and nonsense around here, so that's sometimes why you may receive snarkier replies. Bear with us!

Now that I've got that out of the way, ultimately you will make your own decision. I sincerely wish you the best in whatever you choose to do, and I hope it's exactly what you want. (If that means that you start counting calories with us, then we welcome you! :blush:)
  • GordonMiller12nKi
    GordonMiller12nKi Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm afraid of liposuction, I think it's so painful. I'll never have the guts to do that. I'd rather work out, stick to a diet, etc., but I won't let my body be tormented. By the way, I achieved very good results under the guidance of my nutritionist. She changes my diet every month, I go to workouts or do them at home and also do a procedure for correcting body contours. I ordered this device on a website with a 21-day test drive. I saw the results and then bought it for myself. Weight is very well reduced, easily and without suffering. The psychological aspect is also important, I am very much supported by my husband and nutritionist.

nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnnaLoboda wrote: »
    A doctor and a personal trainer told me this would happen. Also, I had my body go through starvation mode before and I gained more weight than I’ve ever had.

I hope that you aren't still working with either of them. It's just not physiologically what happens.

As for not gaining after the procedure, you need to keep your calories at a maintenance level. When are you having the lipo? And have you been tracking calories here? If you've been tracking calories, what has been happening with your weight?

And keep in mind your maintenance calories will be less than they were just before the procedure since you will have a lower overall weight.