Dry January! No Alcohol!

1234568»

Replies

• cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    The best one thing for me is realizing it is not as difficult as I imagined it would be. I had taken some dry spells on my own before, but not through weekends. It has been a challenge as I love wine..but. discovering some great alternatives ..experimenting with some great mocktails using Calvits Shrubs..had a nice cucumber lime non alcohol margarita last nite and woke today feeling great... Planning to try Seedlip Spice next. I still love kombucha and to help relax using my Alexa 10 minute meditation skill..puts me in a trance..
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I just finished 4 weeks off the drink (17th Dec - 14th Jan for charity), I experienced none of the benefits you tend to read about. It made zero change to my weight management, I didn't sleep any better and my skin is no clearer than it already was.

I haven't been a huge drinker for years but do tend to knock back a few over Christmas and during the Summer festival season.

The only benefit I can say that I have had, which I already have most of the time because I am not longer a heavy drinker is not having a 2 day hangover. It was nice to be clear headed in the morning over Christmas and New Year.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    The best one thing for me is realizing it is not as difficult as I imagined it would be. I had taken some dry spells on my own before, but not through weekends. It has been a challenge as I love wine..but. discovering some great alternatives ..experimenting with some great mocktails using Calvits Shrubs..had a nice cucumber lime non alcohol margarita last nite and woke today feeling great... Planning to try Seedlip Spice next. I still love kombucha and to help relax using my Alexa 10 minute meditation skill..puts me in a trance..

Another app that is free and fantastic for mediation is called: Insight Timer. It has the largest library out there and I have to say the meditations are really good. The length can be from 3 mins to an hour +! Really awesome!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Still staying dry for January but I've had a very bad cold for the past few days, so no credit to me. I just haven't been tempted by wine or food for that matter.

Congrats to those who are sticking to their resolution.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I am on week three of Dry January and I feel great! The positives of non-drinking has helped me thus far to lose weight, sleep better and have more energy for intense workouts!

I am golfing today and not drinking has helped my game! I thought drinking helped you relax during golf (LOL) 🏌️‍♀️; however, I am thinking clearer and its awesome! We go to Italy in May and look forward to drinking wine while we are over there. At this time I am more focused on achieving my goal weight in 2019!

Happy Sunday to all!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    @KimCurtiss1
    I am drinking ALOT of hot tea! :smiley:
  • TheJenJen78
    TheJenJen78 Posts: 10 Member
    Day 19 with no drinking for me. Eating clean and exercising to kick off 2019. I feel better, sleep better and have way more energy! I use to drink 4 - 6 tall boys of beer everyday!! I’ve lost 5.2 lbs so far ☺️ however I thought I would be down a lot more considering the amount of beer and calories I was consuming? Perhaps I just need to give it some more time. I also am on day 7 of a herbal liver flush to help regenerate my liver! (2 Tbsp a day - omega alpha liver flush)

Question: Realistically, shouldn’t I be seeing a bigger weight loss after not consuming approx 1500+ calories of beer daily? Aprox 10,000/week? Anybody?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I have to say that I was surprised at first that I wasn’t losing weight since I was saving a ton of calories!!! It took me two and half weeks to start losing. Eating healthy and working out! I was not happy!

However!!! That has sensed changed. I think my body was in shock and now losing weight, finally! I read other blogs and other people were having the same issue and for some it took up to three weeks to see the weight dropping off!

I hope you see a difference with all the positive changes you are making!
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    @KimCurtiss1

Me too! Loving Bengal Spice w/ Truvia and a splash of almond milk
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Only 12 more nights of Dry January! The more time goes by, the easier it is...I didn't even crave wine last night which is amazing for me. Most Saturday nights I make a gluten free veggie pizza from scratch and I normally have a glass of wine while making the dough and another while it's in the oven. Last night I had cherry Bubly in a wine glass instead.

Is anyone planning to keep going dry after January? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Hi! I always drink wine while cooking and with Dry January this has not been an option. It has been easier than anticipated!! I am sticking with dry Feb until I hit my weight goal. In February though I may have a few glasses here and there. Nothing compared to last Feb!
  • cavatinne
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    @KimCurtiss1

Me too! Loving Bengal Spice w/ Truvia and a splash of almond milk

That sounds good! I love spice teas..my favorite is Stash Licorice Spice..
  • cavatinne
    Day 19 with no drinking for me. Eating clean and exercising to kick off 2019. I feel better, sleep better and have way more energy! I use to drink 4 - 6 tall boys of beer everyday!! I’ve lost 5.2 lbs so far ☺️ however I thought I would be down a lot more considering the amount of beer and calories I was consuming? Perhaps I just need to give it some more time. I also am on day 7 of a herbal liver flush to help regenerate my liver! (2 Tbsp a day - omega alpha liver flush)

Question: Realistically, shouldn’t I be seeing a bigger weight loss after not consuming approx 1500+ calories of beer daily? Aprox 10,000/week? Anybody?

I think 5lbs is good start...like the liver flush idea... Milk whistle is supposedly good supplement. I get liver function test every year as part of my yearly exam. Was surprised last year that one of the upper limits of the liver tests was lowered..the ALT enzyme went from UL of 55 to 35 because too many were passing but in long term presented with problems.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Since I have more time from not drinking, I have been enjoying journaling again. Found a great free app called: 365 Gratitude: Diary, Journal. It prompts you with question. I will post an example of today’s questions.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    v7wjwsdg2gzp.png
    wtcyr3l5c1qa.png