Daily calories are too much!! HELP!

Replies

53703 Posts: 9 Member
    mynacha73 wrote: »
    My big thing is to avoid as much processed non-recognizable stuff as possible.
    I also make sure to do serious meal prep.
    YES, and those two are definitely linked for me. If I do the Sunday prep, eating whole foods throughout the week is much easier.

Helps if you don't mind repeating meals, and I don't, as long as it's something I love. I'll have yesterday's crustless quiche every morning this week, and tuna & white bean salad with arugula four lunches out of five. (The fifth: homemade chili from the freezer, already portioned.)

Glad you're back at it, sorry for the rough patch.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2019
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    bgorman65 wrote: »
    900 calories is not sufficient to sustain health in a woman our size. (I am 5'10" too). Your weight goal is healthy, but I think your body has gone into calorie-conserving starvation mode. Try INcreasing your calories to 1200/day (I would suggest 1500/day) to see if you start losing weight that way. Your eating looks very healthy but you may be getting too little fat, which is important to your health because certain vitamins are fat-soluble, which means without fat you aren't digesting them but just passing them on through. There are many healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado, to name two - google it.

Starvation mode is a myth.

^^^ AGREED!!!

5c8rnvutfd0u.jpg

If you want to see what "starvation mode" looks like, Google the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. THAT is "starvation mode."

There is no denying that the Minnesota Starvation Experiment was an invaluable study, but one thing that bothers me is that no women were included. I am curious to know if there would be any significant differences in results in women, due to our biological differences-higher body fat percentage, protection of fat stores for childbearing, hormones, etc.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Also, regarding the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, I found this really interesting article and I just wanted to share:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2009/12/the-minnesota-starvation-experiment/
  • caloriesupport
    caloriesupport Posts: 2 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    daddee1 wrote: »
    @magdilinab
    Not sure if this was answered in the thread, apologies if it was AND I might have misunderstood your problem or expected outcome.

It's possible you are also including "exercise calories" in your daily calorie calculation.

For example, if you had a 2000 calorie/day program, entered 2000cals of food, and didn't log a workout. The MFP app should say you have 0 cals left.

However by default, the app takes into consideration exercise calories, possibly automatically from an Apple Watch or Fitbit. Then under the exercise section in your daily journal, you'll see an entry with its calorie equivalent. As an example, if you walked for 60mins and it recorded that in your daily journal then your remaining calories would be negative as the calories from the walking were factored in.

You can remove this option in the app settings under More > Goals > Fitness Goals > Exercise Calories = Off.

I hope this helps.

But that's the way MFP works. It gives you a lower calorie goal and you're supposed to eat at least some of those calories back. If you ignore your exercise calories, you will possibly be undereating.

If a user first makes sure their "calories in" logging is as accurate as possible, then they can start to watch their weight trend and determine if their exercise calories are accurate or need to be tweaked. I think there's value in trying to get accurate data rather than just ignore one variable entirely and hope it covers up other mistakes.

Agree, I understand that as well. The OP said something about MFP saying she isn't eating enough. Which btw, I've never seen that error message/banner before. My assumption was that she is seeing a surplus of extra calories, which caught her offgoard despite entering in "calories in", and making that assumption herself.

So yes, assuming she is using the MFP program properly - allow the MFP calculator to do its job, re-test, adjust, re-test.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @magdilinab
    Not sure if this was answered in the thread, apologies if it was AND I might have misunderstood your problem or expected outcome.

It's possible you are also including "exercise calories" in your daily calorie calculation.

For example, if you had a 2000 calorie/day program, entered 2000cals of food, and didn't log a workout. The MFP app should say you have 0 cals left.

However by default, the app takes into consideration exercise calories, possibly automatically from an Apple Watch or Fitbit. Then under the exercise section in your daily journal, you'll see an entry with its calorie equivalent. As an example, if you walked for 60mins and it recorded that in your daily journal then your remaining calories would be negative as the calories from the walking were factored in.

You can remove this option in the app settings under More > Goals > Fitness Goals > Exercise Calories = Off.

I hope this helps.

But that's the way MFP works. It gives you a lower calorie goal and you're supposed to eat at least some of those calories back. If you ignore your exercise calories, you will possibly be undereating.

If a user first makes sure their "calories in" logging is as accurate as possible, then they can start to watch their weight trend and determine if their exercise calories are accurate or need to be tweaked. I think there's value in trying to get accurate data rather than just ignore one variable entirely and hope it covers up other mistakes.

Agree, I understand that as well. The OP said something about MFP saying she isn't eating enough. Which btw, I've never seen that error message/banner before. My assumption was that she is seeing a surplus of extra calories, which caught her offgoard despite entering in "calories in", and making that assumption herself.

So yes, assuming she is using the MFP program properly - allow the MFP calculator to do its job, re-test, adjust, re-test.

That warning shows up when someone tries to close their food diary with less than 1000 calories logged for women, and (I think) less than 1200 calories logged for men. Log a small meal and try closing the diary (you will still be able to make changes later), that will show you the screen that is being referred to. This warning is only related to that minimum number of calories, nothing to do with activity settings, exercise logged, or anything else.

this I accidentally clicked close one time and I had eaten less than 1000 calories. I didnt mean to click on close but it gave me that message. now if you are netting less than 1000 then no you wont get that message which it should still give that message.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Please read this re your not losing on low calories:

The dude knows what he's talking about, he's a top coach.

only part of this I dont agree with is them mentioning soma types