Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Thanks for the link, it's actually pretty much how I've been transitioning my diet over to (I've been experimenting with a pescetarian/DASH way of eating). I still include 2-3 servings of dairy every day, usually in the form of Greek yogurt and cheese, but I'm more mindful of how it fits into my day's eating plan.

eta: the article linked talks about how dairy is being minimized a lot with the new guidelines, but it is listed under the protein section-
    https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy-eating-recommendations/make-it-a-habit-to-eat-vegetables-fruit-whole-grains-and-protein-foods/eat-protein-foods/

Yes, the recommendation is to limit red and processed meats as well as saturated fats from dairy:

"The emphasis is on a high proportion of plant-based foods and replacing foods that contain mostly saturated fat (cream, high fat cheese, butter and the like) with foods that contain mostly unsaturated fats, like nuts, seeds and avocados. A diet higher in vegetables and fruits is linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, eating more nuts or soy protein can help improve blood fat levels and processed meat has been linked to higher risks of colorectal cancer, Health Canada says."

Obviously the work of vegan sympathizers and crypto-vegetarians being fronted by the secret vegan billionaire cabal trying to keep people from eating the beef vital to their health and environment. The Pentavirate is also involved. ;)

I need in on this vegan billionaire action. Life as a vegan thousandaire is getting tedious.

Better than being a hundredaire :frowning:

Or a buck-fiftyaire.

You'll have to stick to whipping cream on that budget.

I might occasionally be able to throw some ground beef in there with it.

The perfect keto storm...

Be sure to get the horseradish flavored heavy whipping cream if you do that. Thank me later.

Maybe blend it all into a shake?

Throw whipping cream, ground beef, coffee, coconut oil, butter and some ACV (because why not?) into a blender.

Added bonus? It would definitely act as a 'cleanse' too!

Imma gonna be rich, I tell ya! No more buck-fifty club for me. B)
    When it comes on the market, give me a week's notice so I can get going with buying shares in leading brands of toilet tissue.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »

Thanks for the link, it's actually pretty much how I've been transitioning my diet over to (I've been experimenting with a pescetarian/DASH way of eating). I still include 2-3 servings of dairy every day, usually in the form of Greek yogurt and cheese, but I'm more mindful of how it fits into my day's eating plan.

eta: the article linked talks about how dairy is being minimized a lot with the new guidelines, but it is listed under the protein section-
    https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy-eating-recommendations/make-it-a-habit-to-eat-vegetables-fruit-whole-grains-and-protein-foods/eat-protein-foods/

Yes, the recommendation is to limit red and processed meats as well as saturated fats from dairy:

"The emphasis is on a high proportion of plant-based foods and replacing foods that contain mostly saturated fat (cream, high fat cheese, butter and the like) with foods that contain mostly unsaturated fats, like nuts, seeds and avocados. A diet higher in vegetables and fruits is linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, eating more nuts or soy protein can help improve blood fat levels and processed meat has been linked to higher risks of colorectal cancer, Health Canada says."

Obviously the work of vegan sympathizers and crypto-vegetarians being fronted by the secret vegan billionaire cabal trying to keep people from eating the beef vital to their health and environment. The Pentavirate is also involved. ;)

I need in on this vegan billionaire action. Life as a vegan thousandaire is getting tedious.

Better than being a hundredaire :frowning:

Or a buck-fiftyaire.

You'll have to stick to whipping cream on that budget.

I might occasionally be able to throw some ground beef in there with it.

The perfect keto storm...

Be sure to get the horseradish flavored heavy whipping cream if you do that. Thank me later.

Maybe blend it all into a shake?

Throw whipping cream, ground beef, coffee, coconut oil, butter and some ACV (because why not?) into a blender.

Added bonus? It would definitely act as a 'cleanse' too!

Imma gonna be rich, I tell ya! No more buck-fifty club for me. B)

No green tea?

That would be overkill and clash with the coffee. <nods>
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Okay guys, I know you were on the edge of your seats waiting to find out! Turns out the reason why I don't know offhand what whipping cream is, is because we don't really have it in the UK. The term I know is double cream, which actually has a higher fat content than heavy whipping cream.
    In other news, apparently my friendly local supermarket giant now stocks extra thick double cream as well, to fill in the niche between double cream and clotted cream.

What does this mean for our health outcomes as a country?

And why on earth am I reading about the fat composition of different kinds of cream when I don't even eat dairy products?!

Because knowledge is power. B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Okay guys, I know you were on the edge of your seats waiting to find out! Turns out the reason why I don't know offhand what whipping cream is, is because we don't really have it in the UK. The term I know is double cream, which actually has a higher fat content than heavy whipping cream.
    In other news, apparently my friendly local supermarket giant now stocks extra thick double cream as well, to fill in the niche between double cream and clotted cream.

And why on earth am I reading about the fat composition of different kinds of cream when I don't even eat dairy products?!

I'm ovo-lacto. Want me to read about it for you?

;););) JK.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm ovo-lacto. Want me to read about it for you?

;););) JK.
    You're on! Can you do a comparison on single cream consumption on each side of the Atlantic, as well?
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Okay guys, I know you were on the edge of your seats waiting to find out! Turns out the reason why I don't know offhand what whipping cream is, is because we don't really have it in the UK.

Not true! Whipping Cream and Double Cream are sold in the UK as separate entities.

Tesco Whipping Cream

Typical Values Per 100ml
    Energy 1508.40kJ (366.30kcal)
    Fat 38.70g
    Saturates 24.20g
    Carbohydrate 2.60g
    Sugars 2.60g
    Fibre .00
    Protein 1.90g
    Salt .06g

versus Tesco Double Cream

Typical Values Per 100g / Per 100ml
    Energy 1921kJ / 467kcal
    Fat 50.5g
    Saturates 31.4g
    Carbohydrate 1.6g
    Sugars 1.6g
    Fibre 0g
    Protein 1.5g
    Salt 0.1g

Just saying :D
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Okay guys, I know you were on the edge of your seats waiting to find out! Turns out the reason why I don't know offhand what whipping cream is, is because we don't really have it in the UK.

Not true! Whipping Cream and Double Cream are sold in the UK as separate entities.

Tesco Whipping Cream

Typical Values Per 100ml
    Fat 38.70g
    Saturates 24.20g
    Carbohydrate 2.60g
    Sugars 2.60g
    Fibre .00
    Protein 1.90g
    Salt .06g

Energy 1921kJ / 467kcal
    Fat 50.5g
    Saturates 31.4g
    Carbohydrate 1.6g
    Sugars 1.6g
    Fibre 0g
    Protein 1.5g
    Salt 0.1g

It's total rubbish, though, as it doesn't whip. Double cream every time!
  • HeliumIsNoble

Tesco Whipping Cream

Typical Values Per 100ml
    Fat 38.70g
    Saturates 24.20g
    Carbohydrate 2.60g
    Sugars 2.60g
    Fibre .00
    Protein 1.90g
    Salt .06g

Energy 1921kJ / 467kcal
    Fat 50.5g
    Saturates 31.4g
    Carbohydrate 1.6g
    Sugars 1.6g
    Fibre 0g
    Protein 1.5g
    Salt 0.1g

Hence the "don't really have it" as opposed to, for example, "don't sell it what so bloody ever".

Just saying. :D

FWIW, before I made that post, I did online supermarket searches on different websites, and looked at the number of instances of whipping cream vs double cream. Double cream brought up far more products of that name, which neatly explains why I know the one term and not the other.

HTH ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    We have whipping cream and heavy whipping cream, but if I'm reading the numbers right our heavy whipping cream is similar to your whipping cream (our whipping cream has a bit less fat). I'm not aware of a US version of double cream, but it's not something I've ever looked for and I'm not in a grocery aisle. Quick search on instacart brought up only cheeses, yogurts, cream cheese, and ice cream.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited January 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We have whipping cream and heavy whipping cream, but if I'm reading the numbers right our heavy whipping cream is similar to your whipping cream (our whipping cream has a bit less fat). I'm not aware of a US version of double cream, but it's not something I've ever looked for and I'm not in a grocery aisle. Quick search on instacart brought up only cheeses, yogurts, cream cheese, and ice cream.

So you have not one, but two types of whipping cream? The UK is even worse served than I thought!

Sainsbury's (for the purpose of balance) stocks one brand of 38.9% fat whipping cream in two different sizes, https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/kosher/hopla-whipped-cream-spray-can-250ml and this gem:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&productId=1196414&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=12465&catalogId=10122&langId=44
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    P.S. I'm in a budget supermarket right now, shopping for lunch.

My choices are confined to single cream, double cream, vanilla custard, soured cream, crème fraîche, fat reduced crème fraîche and something called real dairy cream which comes in a can. Light "real dairy cream" in a can is out of stock.

This was Helium, reporting live from Aldi, England. You can support me on Patreon.

The canned cream from Aldi is amazing on coffee and hot cocoa (which is even more amazing mixed with peppermint Schnapps...)

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    It's total rubbish, though, as it doesn't whip. Double cream every time!

The whipping cream I buy once a year for my Xmas Trifle whips very nicely... maybe you have had defective whipping cream in the past? :'(:D

I thought in the US heavy cream was the same as our double, and half and half similar to our single cream.
    A bit jealous of the Heavy Whipping Cream. That sound exciting.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    OK but it is good to know FULL-FAT MILK COULD CUT RISK OF STROKE, HEART ATTACK, STUDY SAYS. In light of this study perhaps Heavy Whipping Cream use could do even more to reduce risk of stroke and heart attack.

Yes, it's interesting to know. It will be interesting to see if it is replicated in other studies, it will be interesting to see if there is a benefit if we can further determine what exactly is providing the benefit. But why would you assume on the strength of this study alone that heavy whipping cream would do even more?

Could it have something to do with the fact that you're constantly promoting the consumption of heavy whipping cream anyway?

Higher fat content of fatty acids.

What? What does that even mean, what is it in relation to? It sounds odd to say fat content of fatty acids. Like saying the water content of H2O. At best I could think you could mean that some fats will have a glyceride on them, so essentially there are fats with less fatty acids, but I don't think that is what you're talking about.